No announcement yet.

Spade drill holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes from what I seen there is several types. I googled spade drill holders an found this photo The spade drills I have are this style, so the plan is to try to machine custom holder up in the shop. Since the commercial ones I’ve priced are expensive it’s worth a shot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

There is no reason why an HSM person can't make a spade drill holder like the one shown above. They are very simple, really.

Comment

We shall see

Comment

Spade drilling is awesome but takes a great deal of power and a stout machine. Drill straight through in one shot if possible, inserted spade drills do not enjoy making small holes larger.

2 11/16" spade drill through 3 1/2" of 1018 steel in 4 minutes per part.

This is a 24" Dia. chuck 30 horsepower spindle W&S turret lathe, do not try this at home (-:

This machine will not stop, it will rip the tang off a 3" taper shank drill.

Comment

Wow!

Comment

What's the purpose of the notches in the one seen in post #16? Is that just equivalent to a roughing end mill? I assume they're offset from one flank to the other.

Comment

I guess it’s for chips. FYI I’ve started on the first tool today. The photo is my progress so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The notches are chip breakers. They keep the chips in little pieces instead of one long string. Cutting little chips takes less HP than one big wide chip.

Comment

Well I finished the first drill holder and tested it. This spade was the largest one 1 3/64. My plan is to make holders for the all the spade drills that I was gifted. It was an adventure but it will make video content. Here is the finished tool after I cold blued it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, you're quick! I would have to spent at least 14 months agonizing over the detials of whatever design I thought up, and then who knows how many months before I actaully got around to trying to make one.

Do you need more than one holder? I figured that part of the idea behind these is that one holder can drill various sized holes depending on which insert you put in it. Do you have inserts that require different sized holders?

Anyhow, Nicely done!

Comment

Do these holders have a coolant through hole. Nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
                          Wow, you're quick! I would have to spent at least 14 months agonizing over the detials of whatever design I thought up, and then who knows how many months before I actaully got around to trying to make one.

Do you need more than one holder? I figured that part of the idea behind these is that one holder can drill various sized holes depending on which insert you put in it. Do you have inserts that require different sized holders?

Anyhow, Nicely done!
                          Plus one on that..

Comment

nice work! Looking forward to how you find them.

Only suggestion would be to increase the size of the relief/ chip excavation channel. As the body of the drill is about the same size as the tip, you may struggle to clear chips out of deeper holes with the small channel you have. Just going by the commercial ones I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post

Anyhow, Nicely done!
                              Actually I’m planning on making individual holders, the blades are a bit different. Beggars can’t be choosers

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                                Do these holders have a coolant through hole. Nice work.
                                No they don’t. I made them up to fit my tailstock so I didn’t add coolant holes since my lathe doesn’t have coolant. I use a mister for coolant as needed

Comment

Working...
                                X