Spade drill holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    nice work! Looking forward to how you find them.

Only suggestion would be to increase the size of the relief/ chip excavation channel. As the body of the drill is about the same size as the tip, you may struggle to clear chips out of deeper holes with the small channel you have. Just going by the commercial ones I've seen.
    Actually I made the body .100 under the drill. I may find that the chip reliefs may need to be larger, it depends on how deep holes I end up drilling. Hopefully for my use it will work as is. We will see, I was trying to make the body stiff as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Guys I’m working on the videos for this, so it will be a week or two before it hits YouTube. Dang edit and working video is as time consuming as making the first drill

Comment

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
        Wow!
        There is a reason that such machine chucks have such aggressive teeth on the jaws, it is difficult to hold the part otherwise. It will push the part right through the 5" spindle bore during such an operation.
        I often have to use a backer to prevent this.

Comment

Originally posted by jdedmon91 View Post
          Actually I made the body .100 under the drill. I may find that the chip reliefs may need to be larger, it depends on how deep holes I end up drilling. Hopefully for my use it will work as is. We will see, I was trying to make the body stiff as possible.

The body need not be that stiff for that length. It's a self centering cutter.
          The whole idea of a spade drill is to fit many sizes on one shank, instead of paying for a long drill bit every time.
          What size Morse taper are you putting on the end ?

Comment

Originally posted by jdedmon91 View Post

Makes sense, not like you can't modify it or make a new one if it doesn't work out the way you want!

Comment

754 it’s a MT 3 for my Grizzly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice job. I knew you could do it!

Comment

Thanks Toolguy. I know it was doable. What I was hoping for was someone who had done it and maybe some drawings. Now I’m going to make up ones for the rest of the blades, none of them are the same so I have to machine separate holders.

Comment

Just make one with the slot for the thickest spade, the shim the rest.
                    Making a holder for each is completely against the reason to use spade drills.

You mY not eve like them, your machine may not willingly make use of them.
                    So try one out. In steel..

Comment

I could do that, however I want the convenience of grabbing the drill size I want. So I’ll just machine up the set.

Comment

You are going to make more without trying this one to see how it works ?
                        My lathe has 7 hp, and I can bog it with my bigger drills..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                          You are going to make more without trying this one to see how it works ?
                          My lathe has 7 hp, and I can bog it with my bigger drills..
                          I’ve already tried the first drill. It was an 1 3/64 spade. It was the largest. It worked ok. I’d be concerned if it was an 2 inch or larger.

Comment

Spade drill holder

I’m working on the rest of the spade drills the other 3 are 90% complete. Still need to mill the reliefs and blue them with cold blue. There was 6 spades given to me. The two smaller ones are duplicates, so I will only have 4 drills made up. To make it easier for me I’m stamping the spade size on the drill body so I can ID it quickly.

The first drill was a 1 3/64 drill and I did test it on a piece of steel that had a 1/2 drill hole in it. The spade drill performed like it was supposed to. If I do any more it will be to give me some options up to 1 1/2 inches. My lathe won’t be able to handle much larger drills than that.

I’m working on the video for my channel however I thought I’d post an updated photo

Comment

The finished product on its wall mount.

Comment

Maybe trim your brass hammer...
                                I don't feel like retelling the story about the guy next door getting a piece lodged in his nutsack.. ..

Comment

Working...
                                X