No announcement yet.

Spade drill holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we always made our own. no big deal. justmake shore the bit is centered on the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
      Maybe trim your brass hammer...
      I don't feel like retelling the story about the guy next door getting a piece lodged in his nutsack.. ..
      Actually the hammer isn’t mushroomed. This hammer was a coated one that the coating fell off of. I made up a Delrin handle for it, and it hasn’t been used that much. In fact I was stamping the sizes on the drill bodies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bob308 View Post
        we always made our own. no big deal. justmake shore the bit is centered on the shaft.
        Yes the project wasn’t that difficult, just not having a one to use as a guide was a challenge. I used a photo and machined one complete first. Then machining the last 3 as a group

Comment

I’m releasing the videos on the machining process of the drills and improvements to the process as I went along. Parts 1 and 2 will be the first drill. Part 3 is finishing the rest of the set of 4. Here is part 1
          https://youtu.be/POXeivAV1rY

Comment

Spade drills are the way to go if you have the power.
            3" spade through 6 1/8" of annealed 4140 hr, took about 45 minutes, it got a bit steamy however.

Part with the lathe work finished, it took 9 1/2 hours of drilling and setup to remove 75% of the material in a 15" CNC lathe (not nearly a large enough machine), the finished major diameter is 10 3/8", the bore is 5.625" +- .005", also 2 retaining ring grooves on the OD, .125" wide by .187" deep. It now goes into a mill where eight equally spaced 1.531" holes are drilled between the retaining ring grooves, to make it more fun the holes are angled at 5 Degrees in the X axis.

Comment

What kind of finish do you get off a spade drill.?

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                What kind of finish do you get off a spade drill.?
                Similar to a twist drill.

Comment

On my lathe I’m not going really big in size. Probably the largest spade drill bit I was gifted will be as large as I can go. I may pick up an 1 1/2 spade bit if one comes around inexpensive enough. But with the power I have that would be all I’d be comfortable with.

Comment

Working...
                  X