MIG welding aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hellbender'
    I just used the SS brush, but Acetone may be a good idea. Did not have any birds nesting that I can recall. I also had to use a rubber drive roller, not the steel one. Adjust for min tension to push the wire.

[This message has been edited by Hellbender (edited 06-11-2002).][/B][/QUOTE]

------------------

Comment

Hellbender: tell me (us) more about flares for repair. Sounds like it might be fun.
      Steve

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by docsteve66:
        Hellbender: tell me (us) more about flares for repair. Sounds like it might be fun.
        Steve
        </font>
        I used to have to tear up my Maglite's D batteries to steal the carbons out and used jumper cables and wire to make a resistance type brazing torch (that's what my grandpa did on the farm), until I saw the flare trick a few years ago.

The flares drawback is the big flame, not very pinpointed. Make sure they are the old-fashioned magnesium type, not the new "safety" flares. They work VERY well to pre-heat cast iron parts in the field before welding w/ NI rod and the 2 batteries in series.

HB

NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

HB

Warranty? What stinkin' warranty? You threw that away the minute you put big tires and 4.56:1 in it. Besides, warranties are only handy when the Scott Professional poo paper runs out - better that than yer finger!

Besides, you should have a snorkle on that Jeep if you want to follow us hosers - we only stop for beer, food, & more beer. Hey, if you put helium in your tires your baby could be at maybe one or two grams lighter...

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 06-11-2002).]

Comment

Thrud--Actually, there is a "snorkle" on it, I'm semi-famous (at least in my own mind )from the internet and JP magazine for the invention of the "Hellbender snorkle" (and various other things) for the TJ series Jeeps. All my pics are down (screwed by PhotoPoint) but there's a description of it on my webpage at:

http://www.hellbender.rockcrawler.com/

see "Underhood Mods"

The site is 2 years old and I've changed a bunch more stuff since then. I'd only had my rig about 6 months at the time I wrote that site.

HB

[This message has been edited by Hellbender (edited 06-12-2002).]
            NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

Hellbender-
              How can you tell the good magnesium type from the notsogood type before buying them?

Comment

Lunk: my question excatly- you asked it . More important -how do you tell before trying?
                Steve

Comment

That is a good question, I've had this bunch I've had for about 4 years or so, I just heard that some of the newer ones burn cooler.

The ones I have look like a stick of old-fashioned dynamite, red paper wrappers and a striker on the end. They burn with a bright red flame with a blue cone (the hot part). They are pretty cheap, buy one and try it, I got my last bunch at an auto parts store.

HTH

HB
                  NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

Working...
                  X