OT - Amazon customer service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Amazon customer service

I just bought a water softener from Amazon. Upon unpacking it I found that it was missing a piece if 1/4" tubing, 5' long. I started a Chat with Amazon to get that part. It went like this:
    Me: I received the order, but a part is missing & I'd like to get that part.
    Amazon: We can send you a replacement softener & you would have to send the 1st one back.
    Me: No, that would be a major hassle, I just want the part.
    A: We don't have the parts, how about we send you a replacement softener and you don't send the 1st one back? [I.e., they send me a free $600 softener]
    Me: Never mind, I'll just get the part locally.
    A: Well, let me see if I can get you a discount. Would 50% be OK? [$300 credit for a piece of tubing]
    Me: It sure would, thanks.

Later I find the tube - it was inside the brine well, which you wouldn't open unless you had the tube to install. So, I started another Chat:
    Me: I found the tube, so you can cancel the discount.
    A: We are happy that you found the missing part and you don't need to worry. Please accept this discount as a good will from our end [!!]

I'm amazed that their customer service would have the latitude to be so generous.

They are very good with upset customers (and I have benefited myself), but remember, they just stick any discount or consideration back the seller or supplier. Tough to be in business with Amazon

Comment

A couple of years ago I ordered a LED projector for my shipping container/mancave in Arizona. As soon as I hit buy now I was that it was set to ship to our house in Michigan so I messaged the seller immediately and explained that I needed the shipping to be to Arizona. They said they would take care of it.

It was supposed to have a tv tuner built in. When I got it I realized that the antenna connection was some odd ball compared to what we use in the USA. I ordered an adapter and hooked it up and the tuner still didn't work so I messaged them that I wanted to return it. They said it might be a bad unit and they would send me another one and that I should just keep the original one that they sent me. The tuner didn't work on the second one either but I decided to keep them at half price and just use a converter box that I had a couple of back home.

A couple of weeks later I had friend back in Michigan check on the house and he found a box in front of our locked garage. He said it looked like it had been there for months of Michigan winter. I had him cut it open and there was a perfect like new box with another projector in it. Evidently they didn't get it all cleared up on the shipping address so I ended up with three of them for the price of one. I don't know how they make any money doing that.

Brian
      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I'm kind of liking Amazon now. I live in a rural setting and the house sits back about 1/4 mile from the road. It used to take a week to get anything sent via FedEx or UPS. Prime cut that down to about three days if it was sent by mail. Amazon has their own delivery trucks for this area now. I can order some things tonight and have it tomorrow. And this is seven days a week! Some items still take extra time (ground ship from vendors or items not at the regional center) but it's typically not more than two days.

The only problem with the new driver(s) is my package hasn't been delivered to the same place yet. Once just over the fence down front. Once on the front porch. and once on the back porch. At least they take a photo of where they placed it so I can usually find it.

Comment

IMHO, Amazon is the best US company now. I only hope that buyers won't abuse the service it provides.

Comment

I got some auto parts (taillight and front turn signal for 1989 Volvo. The parts were a fraction of the cost of OEM parts, and they looked good.

They were made in various odd places such as Estonia, and they almost fit correctly. Almost.

rather than deal with Amazon and the "we'll replace them" deal, I made them work. But I am not in a big hurry to try Amazon again. If I had let them replace the parts, the replacements would not have fit any better, and I needed to have the car pass the State safety check.
            Last edited by J Tiers; 07-19-2019, 01:35 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
              They are very good with upset customers (and I have benefited myself), but remember, they just stick any discount or consideration back the seller or supplier. Tough to be in business with Amazon
              Tough to be associated with Amazon in any way. Atlas pilots are paid less than half of what I make for doing the same exact job. The difference? Connie Kalitta told Bezos to F off, while Atlas management allowed Bezos to hold the option of owning 40% of the company. If you don't think Bezos has a negative influence on Atlas pilots getting a new contract, I got a B29 to sell to you.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got some very good deals from Amazon US, but Amazon in Canada is relatively poor for product selection and is prone to having stupid high prices (like 4-10x the price for the exact same product on amazon.com).

Amazon just gave the O.P. a good deal by taking all that money out of the cash register of the seller, who likely still needed to pay amazon full commission for the "sale".

But as a seller/supplier for any of the big companies (Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, ebay, amazon, etc), you get to take it in the shorts, as otherwise they just drop you.

Comment

On Prime Day, Amazon mistakenly listed a bunch of expensive photo equipment for $98.94, one of the items being a $13,000 lens. They seem to be honoring the sales....

https://boingboing.net/2019/07/18/am...sold-a-13.html

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels17 View Post
                    On Prime Day, Amazon mistakenly listed a bunch of expensive photo equipment for $98.94, one of the items being a $13,000 lens. They seem to be honoring the sales....

https://boingboing.net/2019/07/18/am...sold-a-13.html
                    Now that is a "You Suck" situation.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                      Tough to be associated with Amazon in any way. Atlas pilots are paid less than half of what I make for doing the same exact job. The difference? Connie Kalitta told Bezos to F off, while Atlas management allowed Bezos to hold the option of owning 40% of the company. If you don't think Bezos has a negative influence on Atlas pilots getting a new contract, I got a B29 to sell to you.

Can I have the B29 anyhow?

Yes, they are big enough to carry a big stick. It's very addictive to get stuff same day or next (even if it is more expensive) and have it backed up by one company. Amazon is a zillion sellers - some selling crap, some good stuff and it's often hard to figure which is what. In essence, a non-bid ebay, but you don't really deal with the seller unless after the return period, and even then, Amazon will step in and assist if you don't get satisfaction. I have had over 125 deliveries already this year with few issues, and when that happened... instant refunds or new parts.

Amazon has become the nationwide equivalent of Walmart in a small town. Real question... When does their "power" become abusive or get federal curtailment?
                      Last edited by lakeside53; 07-19-2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                        Amazon has become the nationwide equivalent of Walmart in a small town. Real question... When does their "power" become abusive or get federal curtailment?
                        Real question.. why isn't that being more seriously discussed about walmart? Walmart has been in that situation for a long while (plus the direct bullying of small towns who do not want them). Amazon is trying to catch up in sales. Walmart revenue is still over double Amazon.

For the past 20 years people have been saying walmart would crush Amazon like a bug. Walmart has said it many times, but now it seems they are lobbying to regulate their competitor. IBM has said it, even as they said they would copy Amazon's technology. They are still failing at that - walmart's website is garbage.

Who wants to go back to lousy local selection, extreme price gouging because "take it or leave it!", terrible return policies, etc? I don't.

Comment

Malls are closing where I live, big box stores other than Walmart/Sam's Club/Costco are closing. I have Amazon prime, we constantly use Amazon for the same reasons all of you do. One thing Amazon isn't, is the cheapest on many items. However, getting the item sooner often enough is the reason to pay a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                            IMHO, Amazon is the best US company now.
                            I wouldn't want to work in one of their warehouses, though. Some are not air conditioned, some push the employees to the point they are afraid to take bathroom breaks for fear of falling behind and getting docked, and I think I heard a couple had employees die on the floor and forced the others to keep working while the paramedics were en route.

Comment

I ordere a cheap DRO from Amazon. Through my own stupidity I tore the cable out of one of scales. I wanted to order a replacement scale but Amazon's vendor was non responsive. I ordered a replacement scale from Banggood. Should have ordered the whole DRO from Banggood in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X