X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by R.Bolte.Jr View Post
    So here’s a close up of the current paint, obviously it was roughly brush painted at some point in history. I’m open to opinions, should I leave it, or strip it and repaint from scratch? I plan to use it, unless someone can convince me it should be admired instead of used?

Not sure. I think you have a good plan. Looks like the tool has been taken care of

So yeah, lock the doors. This is what I do after 5pm. JR

Leave a comment:

• R.Bolte.Jr
    replied
    Everything came apart with minimal effort.

The bearings are all in great shape with minimal wear/play, so I plan to just clean up, lube and leave them, rather than pour new ones.

My plan is to get after the surface rust with steel wool and mineral spirits

The drive was converted to vee belt at some point. I’m thinking staying with it and replacing the current, rotting, leather belt with a synthetic. For power, I have one of the popular sewing machine motors (consew) still in a box, bought for another project that didn’t happen.

Leave a comment:

• R.Bolte.Jr
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post
    That is a very nice drill press.

Looking forward to the service on it. Dont touch the paint or patina, that will reduce its value. JR
    So here’s a close up of the current paint, obviously it was roughly brush painted at some point in history. I’m open to opinions, should I leave it, or strip it and repaint from scratch? I plan to use it, unless someone can convince me it should be admired instead of used?

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    That is a very nice drill press.

Looking forward to the service on it. Dont touch the paint or patina, that will reduce its value. JR

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    Yes, PLEASE post pics of the progress. This is the sort of thing that would be a hoot to actually use after it's all rebuilt!

And is that a guard over the two bevel gears at the top of the column? I don't see gear teeth in the first picture. An early homage to OSHA from before anyone thought we needed OSHA?
    Although the early camelbacks were by no means safe machines, most I've seen did have a bevel gear guard at the least. Probably because even the smallest of presses would eat a finger without even slowing

The quill has just under 2 1/2" travel. It is actually an MT 1 taper i believe. The chuck popped right out with a light tap on a wedge, yet looks like it has never been spun!

One thing i really want to try to save is the dealer tag. McDonald Machinery was a huge dealer in St. Louis during our industrial heyday. You see all kinds of machinery around the midwest with their tag, you can always tell when a seller doesn't know what they have, when they list it as a "McDonald Drill Press" or the other. It appears to be a waterslide decal.

My only regret so far is that a few minutes after I got this at the auction, an older Craftsman machinist box went for next to nothing. When the guy opened the drawers, it was filled with old MT 1 shank bits... it didn't dawn on me until much later, seated at the bar watching the Cards game with a beer, that the box was probably with the press, and had the chuck key in it! Oh well.
    That's actually somewhat advantageous. Because no one has mt1 machines, and it's more of a pain to adapt an mt1 than to use a drill chuck (and sometimes less accurate), no body really wants them as far as I can tell. Dad bought a few, I've used them maybe once just to try them.

Though I've never tried myself, a lot of people slot those drive screws with a dremel and unscrew them. Should work, though I would attempt to leave it on if possible.

We were lucky picking up the Royersford. We were friendly with the local plant workers ( it came out of a county water maintenance department) and one guy walks out with a big old box of old bits and goes "Want these? We have no use for them now." Umm.... yes please. Got pretty much all of our mt4 bits and a fair few mt3 and mt2 bits. Quality old American steel too, they drill great. While unfortunate you missed those, I'd image you can get a set of mt1 bits for pretty cheap. It may be possible to find the guy who bought the box and get them from him as I doubt he'd have any use for them.

Thanks for that thread Butcher! Some great info in there, nice job!
    Thanks Mr. Bolte. I love that we have similar machines but pretty far on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Maybe your restoration will go a little bit faster, I don't think you'll need an engine hoist for this one.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    My Benchmaster mill has a McDonald tag, also a decal. They seem to have sold all sorts of machinery.

Interestingly, "central hardware", a now-defunct local semi-big-box store, was an industrial supply joint back in that same time period before they became a more "consumer" store.

Leave a comment:

• R.Bolte.Jr
    replied
    Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
    I love me a camelback project. Subbed.
    Thanks for that thread Butcher! Some great info in there, nice job!

Leave a comment:

• R.Bolte.Jr
    replied
    To answer a couple questions...

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    And is that a guard over the two bevel gears at the top of the column? I don't see gear teeth in the first picture. An early homage to OSHA from before anyone thought we needed OSHA?
    There is indeed a small guard over the top bevel gears, good eye. It is awesome in itself that they took the time/money to cast this...

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    That thing looks good, how much quill travel does it have and is it MT 2 shank.That would be a good candidate for Treadmill Motor.Post progress of getting it up and running.
    The quill has just under 2 1/2" travel. It is actually an MT 1 taper i believe. The chuck popped right out with a light tap on a wedge, yet looks like it has never been spun!

One thing i really want to try to save is the dealer tag. McDonald Machinery was a huge dealer in St. Louis during our industrial heyday. You see all kinds of machinery around the midwest with their tag, you can always tell when a seller doesn't know what they have, when they list it as a "McDonald Drill Press" or the other. It appears to be a waterslide decal.

My only regret so far is that a few minutes after I got this at the auction, an older Craftsman machinist box went for next to nothing. When the guy opened the drawers, it was filled with old MT 1 shank bits... it didn't dawn on me until much later, seated at the bar watching the Cards game with a beer, that the box was probably with the press, and had the chuck key in it! Oh well.

Leave a comment:

• Erich
    replied
    Nice solid arc of shame

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    that's as cute as anything, what a find!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Nice find. Have fun. Do post progress pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    That thing looks good, how much quill travel does it have and is it MT 2 shank.That would be a good candidate for Treadmill Motor.Post progress of getting it up and running.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Simple and well made. ...not to mention practically free!

I like that. Color me envious.
    Be sure to keep us up to date on any and all restoration efforts and progress.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Yes, PLEASE post pics of the progress. This is the sort of thing that would be a hoot to actually use after it's all rebuilt!

Last edited by BCRider; 07-19-2019, 02:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    I love me a camelback project. Subbed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X