I need magnetic stainless steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need magnetic stainless steel

I need to mount cat proof screens on our windows. This is to keep cats out of the house not in the house. The thought is to build wooden frames with flat strips ofmagnetic SS screwed into the wooden frame to hold the screen in place. Then to inlay round magnets in the wooden window frames.

That is unless you all have a better idea for keeping the cats out.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    I need to mount cat proof screens on our windows. This is to keep cats out of the house not in the house. The thought is to build wooden frames with flat strips ofmagnetic SS screwed into the wooden frame to hold the screen in place. Then to inlay round magnets in the wooden window frames.

a big dog?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

A dog that "likes" cats might do the trick But if you already are going to inlay magnets into the window frames, then what's keeping you from doing the same to the frames of the screens? A matching magnet to magnet will definitely hold stronger than magnet to SS. But 440 stainless is a suitable choice if you decide to still go for the original idea....

Comment

Actually my first thought was to use back to back magnets and then I thought about the strips. So I will go back to the back to back round magnets.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

"Back in the old days", my parents house had removable wooden screen frames over the windows. At the top of each window frame were low clasps and at the outside top of each screen frame were rectangular loops. The screens were placed over clasp and secured to the window frame, at the bottom, by a hook and eyelet latch. I remember as a kid having to remove the screens and clean the windows every year. (Or to paint) The window frames were made to accept the screen frames with a rabbit that made the screen frames even with the outside of the window frames.

Another option: Get air conditioning and close all the windows.

Comment

Electricity would keep them out.
            Andy

Comment

You can buy flexible magnetic strips which are very thin and have double sided tape to hold them in place.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                "Back in the old days", my parents house had removable wooden screen frames over the windows. At the top of each window frame were low clasps and at the outside top of each screen frame were rectangular loops. The screens were placed over clasp and secured to the window frame, at the bottom, by a hook and eyelet latch. I remember as a kid having to remove the screens and clean the windows every year. (Or to paint) The window frames were made to accept the screen frames with a rabbit that made the screen frames even with the outside of the window frames.

Another option: Get air conditioning and close all the windows.
                We had those and a second set with glass for the winter.

Comment

Stainless steel Grade 420 will work. For best anti-corrosion performance after machining, harden and grind it smooth.
                  Mike
                  WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Cucumbers will work...no, seriously, cats have a phobia about them for some reason. Plenty of videos on YouTube about cats vs cucumbers, they literally run away from them

Comment

Back-to-back magnets are SOOPER strong, maybe overkill.Magnet with non-corroding washer is probably more than adequate. Cheapest non-corroding discs are probably Canadian five cent coins, (AKA nickels!)
                      Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Forget SS use paint.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

17-4. Corrosion resistance that is very close to a 300 series, and it is magnetic, so magnetic that
                          it gets mag particle inspected, instead of just penatrant inspection.

And its not that expensive, a small premium over 304..

And the bonus is that its a lot easier to machine than 304..

A lot stronger too, but I don't think that matters to hold a screen, and its really easy to heat treat.

Comment

I think 416 is magnetic at least to some degree is it not? they call it stainless but it still rusts I believe...

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                              Cucumbers will work...no, seriously, cats have a phobia about them for some reason. Plenty of videos on YouTube about cats vs cucumbers, they literally run away from them
                              totally didn't work with our three cats, they just looked at me like I was stupid (that's their usual look).

most of our mesh screens have small holes in them where the cats have gotten stuck at some point. They really are a PITA sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X