Has this Forum been Hacked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has this Forum been Hacked?

Last night for the first time in a week or so I was posting here. This morning I received another one of the scram emails asking for a Bitcoin ransom, with my forum password and saying unless I paid, my naughty emails would be posted all over the Web. I deleted as I normally do. I had one of them traced back to Russian Federation.
    Funny.... I only get them after I have posted here.

Yes, I have Nortons and its paranoid about everything.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Last night for the first time in a week or so I was posting here. This morning I received another one of the scram emails asking for a Bitcoin ransom, with my forum password and saying unless I paid, my naughty emails would be posted all over the Web. I deleted as I normally do. I had one of them traced back to Russian Federation.
    Funny.... I only get them after I have posted here.

Yes, I have Nortons and its paranoid about everything.
    Well, change your password and turn off allowing others to send you an email.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
      Well, change your password and turn off allowing others to send you an email.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

So the only ones who can send me an email is a member here. How many Russian Federation members do we have and I'm I the only person reporting this scam?
      Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

How many Russian Federation members do we have and I'm I the only person reporting this scam?
        Yes my comrade, as far as I know you are the only one with this problem.

The suggestion to change your password is a good one and it should be done right away. Be sure to use a password specific to this site.
        George
        Traverse City, MI

Comment

Hello, my name is Nmingo Catbula and my uncle is the Nigerian Minister of Machining. He has 20,000 Tormach CNC machines held up in customs in the USA. If you will help us get these machines out of customs we will give you 500 Tormach Machines for your own use. All we need from you is your bank account and PIN.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
            Hello, my name is Nmingo Catbula and my uncle is the Nigerian Minister of Machining. He has 20,000 Tormach CNC machines held up in customs in the USA. If you will help us get these machines out of customs we will give you 500 Tormach Machines for your own use. All we need from you is your bank account and PIN.
            I insist that I also give you my SSN and my mother’s maiden name I can also direct wire a payment for the shipping costs! I really appreciate this opportunity!!

Comment

How many Russian Federation members do we have?
              First rule of Russian Federation is no talking about Russian Federation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
                You might find this interesting / funny if you haven't already seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Uc-cztsJo

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DATo View Post
                    You might find this interesting / funny if you haven't already seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Uc-cztsJo
                    Thanks for that! Hilarious!
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I'm reasonably sure SOMETHING has been hacked,

Now I am trying to figure out whether something I cannot actually see directly, has in fact been hacked, potentially by one of the cats.

Frankly, in that case I'd rather NOT see it, but I feel that I must admit that seeing it does beat finding it with my bare foot at 3AM in the dark. Nothing like something wet and cold that is in between squishy and slippery, possibly a bit lumpy even, under your foot in the dark.

But, since I have not had any such experience with the forum such as the OP seems to have had, it appears that the forum itself has not been hacked, and the squishy cold whatever it is must be elsewhere, possibly in the OP's computer. it would apear that a good dose of Malwarebytes is in order, followed by changing some passwords.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

I the email/password list from the forum is on the loose, that does not imply that anyone has done anything to infect your PC. Of course, run an anti-malware program, but that's a solution to a different problem. Oh, and I got a similar email the other day, but I think nothing of it. I use my email widely, and have no illusions about the security of most of the Internet.

In all but the most poorly maintained software, loosing the email list will not imply that the passwords are also leaked. They should be 'salted' and encrypted in such a away that's waaay more trouble than it's worth.
                        Last edited by mickeyf; 07-22-2019, 09:03 PM.
                        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

20 years ago I often received the Nigerian scam by fax machine, it was a thing of beauty.

Comment

Yes, I found that video side splitting good! Bravo!

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                              I the email/password list from the forum is on the loose, that does not imply that anyone has done anything to infect your PC. Of course, run an anti-malware program, but that's a solution to a different problem. Oh, and I got a similar email the other day, but I think nothing of it. I use my email widely, and have no illusions about the security of most of the Internet.

In all but the most poorly maintained software, loosing the email list will not imply that the passwords are also leaked. They should be 'salted' and encrypted in such a away that's waaay more trouble than it's worth.
                              it may imply that HIS COMPUTER has the hack, that has found a password by either finding it stored, or by a key logger. Neither is good, so a cleanup and new password, in that order, is a basic decent idea.

As for the site, it's hardly worth the effort, but with access to the hashed passwords and some known plaintext ones, it may be possible to figure out the hashing and get any number of them that you want. Depends on the hashing scheme.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X