OT Indian tools on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Indian tools on eBay

Has anyone bought anything from eBay that was made and shipped from India? I was browsing indexing, dividing rotary tables and noticed this text in the shipping info: FREE Expedited Shipping from India | See details
    International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. No clue as to what these charges might come to. Just curious.
    Last edited by Dave C; 07-23-2019, 07:39 PM.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Wow, that looks like a good deal. Paid more for mine and did not get all those accessories. I have never ordered from India but i think I would be willing to give it a try. As i understand it they are turning out some good product.

Comment

I bought 2 India made items from Grizzly. The all angle vise was so badly made I sent it back. The cast iron it was made from was so full of graphite that it looked almost black. The second item was a set of insert toolholders by Glanze. I am quite happy with them.

Comment

I haven't bought tools shipped from India, but I have bought vulcanite and bone off eBay, shipped from India with good success and satisfaction - excellent prices, too.
        Cheers,

Frank Ford
        HomeShopTech

Comment

Originally posted by beechur johnson View Post
          Wow, that looks like a good deal. Paid more for mine and did not get all those accessories. I have never ordered from India but i think I would be willing to give it a try. As i understand it they are turning out some good product.
          Where are you getting your misINFORMATION from??

Most if not all that comes from India is worse than the worst from China.

JL............

Comment

It's like buying from China or any other Asian nation. Some items will be ok and some not. It's hard to know before you buy unless you have feedback from someone with personal experience with the specific provider

Comment

This one is simpler I have been going to order it for some time. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263538224681

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

JL............
                And you know this how?
                Ever checked a Zither chuck out?
                Ever checked the hundreds of hand made panel beaten sheet metal parts out for resto vintage cars and motorcycles?
                Alloy c/head castings?
                Or are you just generalizing again?

Comment

I have a boring head that was made in India and isn't very good, but it works and was cheap.

I had an 8" 4-jaw self-centering chuck made in India and it looked good, but it didn't fit my 9x20 lathe. I traded it for a 6" independent chuck.

Thanks for the eBay links. I might order a set of dividing plates from India, for my 6" Vertex rotary table:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INDEXING-PL...E/332327282571

My rotary table:

It is an HV-6. I assume they will fit OK. Last I looked, a set of dividing plates was about $100.
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png

Paul: www.peschoen.com
                  P S Technology, Inc. www.pstech-inc.com
                  and Muttley www.muttleydog.com

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

JL............
                    Ditto

Comment

Quality is all over the place, like china 20 years ago, only worse.

There is very good stuff from India. No doubt about that.

But the cheaper stuff can be so bad you cannot even believe your eyes.

Example: I got an MT3 to threaded Jacobs chuck adapter. Actually I ordered it. When it arrived, it appeared never to have been finish machined, and the rough machining could have been done better by a drunken baboon who was not even paying attention.

it was not concentric, the taper was not fully machined, or was machined off-center. The threaded part was not concentric with the taper. It took only a second of looking at it to see that it was scrap. But it was in a nice box, wrapped up just as if it was a real part.

Very obviously, there was absolutely zero QC at that factory.

On the other hand, you can get quite a decent lathe from India or even a new shaper. I am told they are better than most chinese machines.

But, if you are going to the "cheap end", I'd bet on getting the "drunken baboon" type product.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                        Quality is all over the place, like china 20 years ago, only worse.

There is very good stuff from India. No doubt about that.

But the cheaper stuff can be so bad you cannot even believe your eyes.
                        This. It depends how much your time and aggravation is worth. I bought taps from India, BSF and Whitworth.... Some were just ok, some were such crap it was unbelievable. I've gotten to the point where I simply filter out India and China when I search on eBay.

Comment

I bought 3 divider plates to fit onto my rotary table that were made in India. They looked really good, but the 3 center holes that allow you to bolt them on were not equally spaced. I had to "stretch" one hole on each of them to make them work properly.
                          Brian Rupnow

Comment

I saw an India made vise a while back and it looked really good. The owner claimed that it was close in quality to his Kurt. I didn't see any obvious imperfections in the castings, and don't know if I would trust the word of someone who is trying to sell a clapped out mill. My main concern was with the disclaimer about possible added charges for customs fees etc. Even if the quality of the item was terrific, that cheap price could turn out to be no bargain.
                            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                              I saw an India made vise a while back and it looked really good. The owner claimed that it was close in quality to his Kurt. I didn't see any obvious imperfections in the castings, and don't know if I would trust the word of someone who is trying to sell a clapped out mill. My main concern was with the disclaimer about possible added charges for customs fees etc. Even if the quality of the item was terrific, that cheap price could turn out to be no bargain.
                              This is a standard disclaimer that I have seen often from sellers on eBay. It refers only to customs fees applied in the country that the product ends up at. In my particular case in Canada I have only been charged customs fees once from an item shipped from Asia. Items originating in the US seem to be charged customs fees more often, of course US customs could look at the transaction totally different than Canada customs. Probably has a lot to do with the declared value. Although I recently received a $200 item from Greece it was marked as a gift item and no duties were paid by me, only shipping.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Working...
                              X