X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose nut
    replied
    Originally posted by alanganes View Post
    I know nothing about the HF business plans, .
    It's simple. Sell cheap crap at prices that low income families and cheapskates can/will pay. Most of us fall into that group one way or another.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    I have to say, since getting the surface grinder, I am developing an interest in making my own tools. Guess it's a hobby in itself!.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
    great idea! I was more thinking of trying to harness some of the blowhards around the various forums
    I'll blow into it

Leave a comment:

• alanganes
    replied
    I know nothing about the HF business plans, but it sort of seems to me that they are looking to fill the niche that Sears stores hardware dept used to fill. Sears stuff was good if not always top-tier, they had several levels of price/quality/warranty, and they were readily available to the average guy who didn't have a tool-tuck visiting him regularly, nor the budget to buy stuff off of one. Once Sears became a non-entity in that space, nobody it seems quite ever filled that spot. The HD and Lowes type places have some stuff but are weak on the mechanics tools and stuff not construction oriented.

I cant say I love everything that HF sells, but the stuff I've chosen to buy has been a decent value if I choose carefully for my needs. One notable examples is the roll-away tool chests which are an excellent value in my eyes, there really is no decent competitor in terms of quality for the buck.

Leave a comment:

• Tungsten dipper
    replied
    Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
    I use Vise-Grip 11R and 6R clamps a lot for fitting steel up for welding. I have been doing this since the '70s. I own a lot of these clamps. I agree the new Irwin Vise-Grip clamps aren't quite as good, but I think saying "half the quality" is way too strong.

I don't choose to buy the Irwin clamps. But if I needed another chain clamp (for example) I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Irwin.

metalmagpie
    Maybe a bit strong; when you compare them to these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kreg-Classi...-Clamp/3063585 they're half the quality. I too use the 11R and the 6R's welding. so you never can have enough.

Try the Bremens at HF, I think you'll like them!

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Here are some American made compressors. including one that is wind-powered. With that one, you could use the air flow from the pneumatic tools to blow on the vanes, and it will run continuously without electricity!
    great idea! I was more thinking of trying to harness some of the blowhards around the various forums

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    The OLD, as in from the early 2000's digital calipers were great. Then they switched manufacturers and convinced me to only buy top shelf metrology equipment from the usual sources. I had one HF caliper that would short out when both arms touched the same piece of metal... Hmm...

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I searched for the "Fortress" brand and only found references to Harbor Freight.

Some reviews (not including the HF brands): https://www.thediyhubby.com/best-air-compressor/

More reviews, including "Chicago Pneumatic", but questionable since all have 5 stars: https://sidebysidereviews.com/air-compressor-review/

Fortress is also a B&S brand name for generators: https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na.../fortress.html

McGraw also seems to be just an HF brand.

Here are some American made compressors. including one that is wind-powered. With that one, you could use the air flow from the pneumatic tools to blow on the vanes, and it will run continuously without electricity!

https://usamadeproducts.biz/tools-po...mpressors.html

Leave a comment:

• aribert
    replied
    Originally posted by 754 View Post
    The title of this is confusing..
    Do any ofvthose 3 names instill confidence ?
    Have you even heard those makes before. .
    I SEE NO REASON TO buy based on the names.
    My opinion is that all the new HF "brands" are aimed at modern consumers that are highly "brand conscious". If an item has a brand name it must be better than a generic unbranded item. BTW, I have nothing against advertising similar products as good/better/best.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
    Some contractors at our house had the $95 Bauer Rotary Hammer Drill. It lasted 2 hard working days and failed. HF replaced it no questions asked and the next one wasn’t punished as badly and was still doing ok a few days later when they left. The contractor said he liked it and got the 2 year warranty.

My Cheap HF sawzall clone failed yesterday cutting pecan for my smoker. I’m not sure I’ll waste any time trying to fix it. It aggravates my arthritis something fierce and it actually did the job I bought it for a few years back.
    My cheap Sears Craftsman Sawzall clone is over 20 years old. Still works. After about 16-17 years the blade clamp broke, and I bought a Milwaukee Super Sawzall. Its a fantastic machine, but I still chased down replacement parts for my old Sears tool and it rips just like it always has. I don't use either of them like I used to, so they will likely both out live me.

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    replied
    Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    The new (Irwin) Vise Grips are half the quality of the old ones. I now buy the older ones at garage sales. The Bremens are about the same quality, except they're limited on the varieties offered.
    I use Vise-Grip 11R and 6R clamps a lot for fitting steel up for welding. I have been doing this since the '70s. I own a lot of these clamps. I agree the new Irwin Vise-Grip clamps aren't quite as good, but I think saying "half the quality" is way too strong.

I don't choose to buy the Irwin clamps. But if I needed another chain clamp (for example) I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Irwin.

metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• dalee100
    replied
    Originally posted by loose nut View Post
    Are they better brands or just new names on older crap or possibly redesigned crap. Possibly HF is trying to bring in a better line since they have such a bad rep for selling crap. That doesn't mean the new stuff is any better, just looks different.
    Hi,

They do appear to be trying to improve their quality to up their name brand. With the general slowly falling quality of the big name players over the years, I think HF is seeing an opening for them to compete for more dollars. For example. they are offering more and more lifetime warranties on hand tools like wrenches and stuff. I do own HF lathe, drill press, and 4x6 saw that have given me excellent service over the years. Along with some flat wrenches and a tee handle hex wrench set. Careful shopping could almost always provide decent weekend warrior tools if you looked hard enough.

I think the jury is still out on how much improved quality there is, (cordless tools in particular). And HF certainly has a long and hard slog to dig themselves out the QC hole they put themselves in.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by 754 View Post
    The title of this is confusing..
    Do any ofvthose 3 names instill confidence ?
    Have you even heard those makes before. .
    I SEE NO REASON TO buy based on the names.
    Which ASME certification am I to believe applies to the most expensive compressor?

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    Are they better brands or just new names on older crap or possibly redesigned crap. Possibly HF is trying to bring in a better line since they have such a bad rep for selling crap. That doesn't mean the new stuff is any better, just looks different.

Leave a comment:

• SLK001
    replied
    Originally posted by Seastar View Post
    ...Even the new free little blue lights are improved with a single very bright led.
    I disagree. The older 21 LED light was brighter (side-by-side comparison) and the magnets were better. With the new light, I have to sort through entire boxes of lights to find one where the magnet will actually hold the light securely. But the price is still right, so I just mutter my disapproval under my breath!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X