Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Finding under ground (12") PVC water line? Is there a way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T: Finding under ground (12") PVC water line? Is there a way.

I have an off shout of the copper main to some other copper and PVC. The PVC was fitted with a valve but it is missing. I need to find the buried main to install a new valve.

Deep Kimchi over here right now. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

If you can put your hands on a 200' steel electricians fish tape, and can get it into the line any locator firm can connect to it and send a signal through it. That would give you very accurate location. Good luck!

Cat

Comment

I went to a lot of trouble to find my sewer connection. I did a lot of probing with metal rods. With PVC you will have to be careful, but it can be done. And if your soil is hard, you may have to water it with the sprinklers to soften it up. With a 12" pipe, you can probe every 8 or 9 inches and you can't miss it. Is this a farm or industrial building? Would the city/county have information?

Logic is on your side. If you are in the city, then the water department can, at least, tell you where their main line is. In the country side, talk to the county. You know where the water is going in your building or possibly outside, that should narrow it down somewhat. Perhaps the city/county will also have some records of where the tie-in is and you can follow it from there. Or try to follow it out from the house or other point of use if you can find where it enters. And you probably have a meter so that is a definite starting place.

The reason why I had so much trouble finding my sewer connection was that I was assuming it was in the front. But it was in the back yard instead. When I finally realized that and knowing where the rear-most bathroom was, I found it in two or three probes. Logic. And I should have talked to the city first; that would have saved a lot of work.
      Paul A.

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Now you know why these pipes are supposed to be laid with a warning tape over them containing a tracer wire, Find it at one point, no trouble at all with a detector to follow the pipe.
        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Your PVC comes off copper but according to the thread title its 12" PVC. How big is the copper for goodness sake?
          'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

He must have meant 1/2 inch pipe. You could try a sensitive listening device. Have some water running and move the mic around the ground till you find where it's loudest. Never tried it myself but I've heard of it being done.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

How deep?
              Andy

Comment

Easy, just use a 13" long spade.

Comment

Gonna have to dig for it.

Comment

Get someone with a drone to look down on your property. Back filling is seldom perfect and you can often see the path clearly from above.

Comment

Not after 20 years. Heck, around here one or two years is more than enough to hide any digging.

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                      Get someone with a drone to look down on your property. Back filling is seldom perfect and you can often see the path clearly from above.
                      Paul A.

Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

It would depend on the terrain. In the '30s they laid a 4in clay pipe over a mile into the moorland to pick some springs for a supply to our village. The land is strewn with boulders up to half a ton on the surface and it must have been hand dug back then and they mostly put the boulders back over the path. I can still trace the route and the offshoot to my house after about 90 years.
                        More recently they used a mole to surface lay a phone cable over to a river monitoring station in the same area but its trace is lost after only a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                          Not after 20 years. Heck, around here one or two years is more than enough to hide any digging.
                          It's still not worth the risk, just wait till its freezing out and get a wood chipper, point the chute at any nearby river, they will never find any trace... no ------ wait - what are you guys talking about?

Comment

Buddy of mine just retired from the Natural Gas company, says they hook up a small lo-frequency transmitter to a metal section of the line, then walk around with a radio receiver to get the location within a foot or so.... wouldn't be hard to do, for the electronically inclined. Especially if the water will conduct electricity.... the whole pipe becomes the antenna
                            Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 08-09-2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

years ago when I first bought my place there was a section of grass that just never grew,,, i kept trying to seed and fertilize then after examining the CFM on my gas bill one time I thought I might have a gas leak - started digging down and sho-nuf hit this acrid rancid old gas smell and rotten gray soil, steel pipe, temp. fixed it and then got my bro's trencher and put in a new plastic line all the way from meter to house,,, but wrapped the plastic line with an old 100ft extension cord so if I ever need to know exactly where it is I can still find it...

Comment

Working...
                              X