OT:HIt by a car while walking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT:HIt by a car while walking!

I was in town this morning and had several errands to run. While walking from the bank to the drug store I stepped off the sidewalk to go over to the drug store. BAM ! Damn electric auto ran into me. I was in a Fussganger(pedestrian) zone so technically I was not at fault. The driver and his wife were really shocked but I tried to reassure them that it was my fault for not actually looking and only listening. They were a lot more upset than I was for sure. Just a little bruising on my knee but nothing serious. The good thing is that is my bad knee so nothing lost there!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

From the tone of your post I take it that you did not pursue legal action. If so I admire you for this as this did not seem to be a serious injury. In the U.S.A. this would have most definitely resulted in a lawsuit. Sorry this happened to you, but glad that it was not more serious.

Comment

Clumsy bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by DATo View Post
        From the tone of your post I take it that you did not pursue legal action. If so I admire you for this as this did not seem to be a serious injury. In the U.S.A. this would have most definitely resulted in a lawsuit. Sorry this happened to you, but glad that it was not more serious.
        No I won't pursue any legal action. It was my fault for being stupid and not looking. I don't care what the law says about this I was at fault. I actually joked with him that I was glad to not have to wash his car to get the blood off of it.

I told him to have a nice day and went on to the drug store.
        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Those damn things are so quiet I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. Good that you are okay. Lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
            Clumsy bastard.
            Ditto.

The order is and always has been; STOP, LOOK and LISTEN!

Comment

Last week a guy got ran over and killed in our local shopping market parking lot, old guy behind the wheel thought he was going for the brake and hit the gas,,, pedestrians always have the right of way in parking lots, but BF's attitude is correct if not just for a survival tactic,,, who gives a damn if you had the right of way and your crushed like a bug, pay attention no matter what,,,

if a car is parked and running with someone behind the wheel do you walk between the front end and another vehicles back end with only a couple feet of space? who cares who has the right of way if you could end up being crippled the rest of your life, I try to avoid it if I can or at least leap through no matter how "silly" it looks to other people....

we got a world full of victims due the fact that all they consider is if the "law" is on their side,,, perfectly willing to be in a wheel chair the rest of their lives as long as they have the backing to sue,,, people need to think, no amount of money can ever compensate you for your mobility, or life for that matter...

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                Ditto.

The order is and always has been; STOP, LOOK and LISTEN!
                And recognize the fact that the last thing on the list is getting harder to do so rely on the first two more, in fact BF stated it was an electric car, they can be deadly quite in situations like this,,, they all should be equipped with speakers that make engine sounds and ones that create change under more power like increased load sounds and also RPM's to match - some have this - most don't...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                  And recognize the fact that the last thing on the list is getting harder to do so rely on the first two more, in fact BF stated it was an electric car, they can be deadly quite in situations like this,,, they all should be equipped with speakers that make engine sounds and ones that create change under more power like increased load sounds and also RPM's to match - some have this - most don't...
                  Drove a BMW I.8 that has just that! Impressive vehicle. 123 in seconds!!

Sid

Comment

Well I have a hybrid vehicle and I'm always conscious of the fact that people won't hear it, when I'm operating near pedestrians. I'm moving more slowly and watching for their reactions

Comment

Yeah, those slithery electric cars are a menace to society! They need to be outlawed and eliminated! They're a threat to everyone everywhere. There is no useful benefit to allow such dangerous equipment to be sold!

Are we talking about blaming the cars here?

Comment

Thankfully BF is okay and that he has the common sense to realize that he was at fault, despite being in a crosswalk.
                        I think it's important to understand that while pedestrians do have the right of way while in a crosswalk, it does not give one the right to jump into traffic and expect compensation. Cars and drivers are simply not capable of instantaneous stops.
                        Think of all the scammers that would jump out into a crosswalk and claim foul if the letter of the law were held to that standard.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                          The driver and his wife were really shocked but I tried to reassure them that it was my fault for not actually looking and only listening. Just a little bruising on my knee but nothing serious. The good thing is that is my bad knee so nothing lost there!
                          Glad you are okay. Hopefully.

Electric vehicle drivers do know their cars are extremely quiet and that it poses a much greater risk. Those drivers have a responsibility to watch for pedestrians who may have no idea just how quiet. Especially if those pedestrians are in a crosswalk or heading toward one. Imagine how it is for the visually impaired. The driver had a horn, he could have used it. The driver was operating the heavy machinery and had the greater burden of care.

A fake engine sound is now required on new electric vehicles in the EU, and sept 2020 in the US. This problem has been discussed for *decades* so why did they wait until millions are on the road?

People in car accidents often don't have much pain at the time, or even weeks or months later. Adrenaline can also cover up the severity and hide serious injuries. The real pain can occur years later, requiring frequent therapy. Though at that point often treatment is not possible. Speaking to massage therapists, often a large number of their clients are getting treatment for crash injuries from many years prior.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48815968

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                            Think of all the scammers that would jump out into a crosswalk and claim foul if the letter of the law were held to that standard.
                            That is the standard in many parts of the USA. In some locales you must stop for a pedestrian who is standing near the crosswalk, up on the curb.

And yet, the 'jumping scammers' thing you describe is not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                              Yeah, those slithery electric cars are a menace to society! They need to be outlawed and eliminated! They're a threat to everyone everywhere. There is no useful benefit to allow such dangerous equipment to be sold!

Are we talking about blaming the cars here?
                              Boy that escalated quickly - but not surprised seeing as though your from texas lol

were just talking that there is indeed a difference - and there is --- yes it's hard to believe but after about 100 years or so since the horse and buggy was put away in the barn we have become accustomed to the sound of an IC engine and also the extra noise it makes when accelerating and such, not to mention even the horse and buggy making all kinds of racket,,, so yeah this is something new - don't freak out, just recognize it as something that is indeed creating problems and if you like to stay alive and healthy maybe heed the warnings (or not - I could really care less)

take things to a different perspective in how we rely on sound so much "loud pipes save lives" is a proven fact on a motorcycle, it's risky enough driving one in this day and age where everyone is texting or talking on their celly so pretty wise strategy to interrupt their dumbass phone call with a real life motor sound, think riding a motorcycle is risky, try riding a completely silent electric one in congested traffic and get back to me on that,

sound is a safety factor - be it whether your in the POS vehicle that's not making any - or riding it....

Comment

Working...
                              X