Vacuum fitting adaptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum fitting adaptor

Greetings! I'm working on a vintage car that had (when I disassembled it many years ago) an adaptor to mate a vacuum hard line to the intake manifold. After searching too long, I'm going to declare the adaptor lost and try to make a replacement. The hard line is 3/8" steel, double flared and fitted with a copper-tubing-style compression ferrule. The flare nut is 9/16-24. The intake manifold is tapped 1/8-27 NPTF.

I know how to make the 1/8-27 male end of the adaptor, and also the female 9/16-24 thread. I'm less clear on how to make the angled seat for the ferrule. I believe the included angle between the tapered faces is 140 degrees. That's pretty close to the standard drill point of 135 degrees. I see two ways to go about it: 1) re-grind a drill to the desired angle and reduce the rake of the leading edge so it will leave a smooth surface, or 2) make a D-bit with the desired angle.

Any suggestions?

That sounds like a standard brake line fitting. I used them on my old Ford Flathead trucks.
    Peter

Comment

Are there actually flare connections that use ferrules?

Comment

I don't believe a brake line double flare uses a copper compression ferrule. Just a flare nut. My old Papco flaring tool will do double flares, but its a lot of trouble, and easier to buy a premade line. Oops, just noticed it's for a vacuum line. A ferrule alone should suffice.
        Last edited by Corbettprime; 08-13-2019, 05:19 PM. Reason: Adding

Comment

You are right -- the line isn't flared, since it uses a ferrule. I was thinking of another line there is a little problem with.

CPeter: do you know a source that carries those particular brake fittings?

Comment

You shall surely find the old one soon after making the new one. It will come out of hiding as soon as it knows it's safe...

Comment

Joel,

True, but experience tells me that to find the original I must first make a replica. So my question stands.

JA

Comment

I made an adapter (air line for a narrow gauge loco, immaterial....) by boring the seat using the compound on my lathe and a small boring bar...just a thought....

Comment

Here is a fitting, 1/8P to flared fitting.

https://www.grainger.com/product/5ZY...g!477737799105!

Should be readily available to many different tubing sizes.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by alsinaj View Post
                    You are right -- the line isn't flared, since it uses a ferrule. I was thinking of another line there is a little problem with.

CPeter: do you know a source that carries those particular brake fittings?
                    I think that he is looking for something like this: https://www.fillernecksupply.com/fue...ucer_adapters/

Comment

Originally posted by alsinaj View Post
                      Greetings! I'm working on a vintage car that had (when I disassembled it many years ago) an adaptor to mate a vacuum hard line to the intake manifold. After searching too long, I'm going to declare the adaptor lost and try to make a replacement. The hard line is 3/8" steel, double flared and fitted with a copper-tubing-style compression ferrule. The flare nut is 9/16-24. The intake manifold is tapped 1/8-27 NPTF.

I know how to make the 1/8-27 male end of the adaptor, and also the female 9/16-24 thread. I'm less clear on how to make the angled seat for the ferrule. I believe the included angle between the tapered faces is 140 degrees. That's pretty close to the standard drill point of 135 degrees. I see two ways to go about it: 1) re-grind a drill to the desired angle and reduce the rake of the leading edge so it will leave a smooth surface, or 2) make a D-bit with the desired angle.

Any suggestions?
                      http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ...t/pll_1015.pdf

Page 48 of 168, Catalog Number 68x6x2

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                        http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ...t/pll_1015.pdf

Page 48 of 168, Catalog Number 68x6x2
                        Well, in re-reading the OP and looking at your link, I believe you are correct and that I was visualizing something completely different. I originally thought he was describing what was going on at both ends

Steve

Comment

Arcane, That's the ticket! Thank you. JA

Comment

As it is a vacuum line and not high pressure, a little Loctite pipe seal will work fine if you cannot reproduce the exact angle in the fitting.

Comment

Working...
                            X