OT - Making fish eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Making fish eyes

Bit of a stretch topic wise, but there was "some" machining content . Just thought I share some pics of tonight's adventures.

Made some fishing lures with the kids last weekend and drilled the eye sockets for 1/4". Didn't have a 1/4" gasket punch so had to make a quick and dirty one....(the "some" machining content). Used that to punch out some discs from some aluminum duct tape. Set those on top of some woodscrew pedestals, and did some toothpick painting for some background colour, then put some black dots on for the pupil. Next I mixed up some 5min epoxy and dripped it onto the discs so that they will bulge up and surface tension will hold them into a dome shape.

This was my second time trying this, and the first ones I did last weekend looked like the fish have cataracts. The epoxy I used had too many bubbles in it (resin had turned to a gel), not to mention I used a 5/16" diameter punch, which wouldn't fit the holes I drilled.......Good excuse to try again. They came out much better this time. Still a few small bubbles but much clearer. Hopefully we'll get to finish the lures this weekend and maybe try them out.

Pic of the lures before I drilled the eye sockets, and poured the lead.

Been a fun little project so far. Next job is to learn how to airbrush and get some colour on there. Never done it before, and I'm not much of a painter....

Pretty kewl.

Comment

awesome

Comment

"Eye" like 'em. They have a certain "allure"...
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

What fish do you target.?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
            Didn't have a 1/4" gasket punch so had to make a quick and dirty one....(the "some" machining content)...
            So you not only made the punch, but you also blackened it? What did you use to blacken it?

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
              So you not only made the punch, but you also blackened it? What did you use to blacken it?
              It's just the bad lighting. It's only a piece of bright unhardened O1. But I have successfully "blackened" steel before by heating it up and dunking it in used motor oil.

Originally posted by plunger View Post
              What fish do you target.?
              Most of the lakes we fish around here have bass (large/small mouth), yellow perch, walleye, and pike and musky. In the summer time I'm mostly targeting walleye and in the winter perch (table fare). Not sure what we'll catch if anything with these things though lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                Most of the lakes we fish around here have bass (large/small mouth), yellow perch, walleye, and pike and musky. In the summer time I'm mostly targeting walleye and in the winter perch (table fare). Not sure what we'll catch if anything with these things though lol.
                Pickerel brother, pickerel. You're from Ontario, Yanks call it Walleye. Fight like a boot but unfortunately for them super tasty. Was out on Erie a couple weekends ago, we didn't have much luck but a fellow back at the ramp had limited out and offered some to us. Made fish tacos with them (beer battered pickerel nuggets, mango salsa, jalapeno mayo), delicious. I'll actually take perch over pickerel though, fortunate enough to live close enough to several fish and chip shops that serve fresh Erie perch.

Lures look great, can't wait to see some colour (and then some teeth marks) on them.

Comment

You know you got the eye's right when they start to creep you out - definite creep factor going on there,,,

Tom I hope your not actually eating anything that comes out of lake erie, born and raised in the smelly mitten here and unless something has drastically changed that's been a no-no for quite sometime now --- no?

Comment

Things have changed drastically for the better Boomer. The introduction of Zebra Mussels actually turned out for good in the end, they've done a great job cleaning the water. Years ago it was pea soup, now you can see down a ways depending on wave action/sediment. Fisheries have been booming the last couple years, bass are huge and pickerel are abundant. There is some concern that the pollution from years past has been concentrated in the zebra mussels and the gobies that eat them, but that's not really a concern with pickerel and perch as gobies and mussels don't make up a huge portion of their diet. I wouldn't be eating anything to big or old, but 3-5 year fish are great.

The big fight these days is algae blooms due to agricultural runoff, they seem to be showing up every year in the western basin.
                    Last edited by Tom S; 08-23-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                      Pickerel brother, pickerel. You're from Ontario, Yanks call it Walleye. Fight like a boot but unfortunately for them super tasty. Was out on Erie a couple weekends ago, we didn't have much luck but a fellow back at the ramp had limited out and offered some to us. Made fish tacos with them (beer battered pickerel nuggets, mango salsa, jalapeno mayo), delicious. I'll actually take perch over pickerel though, fortunate enough to live close enough to several fish and chip shops that serve fresh Erie perch.

Lures look great, can't wait to see some colour (and then some teeth marks) on them.
                      lol. I always call them pickerel, but write walleye so I don't have to explain what a pickerel is. . Yeah, not much of a fight, but really good eats. Pike are some good eats too and a much better fight. Perch are my favourite, but fight like picking carrots lol.

Those tacos sound delicious. My sister has a cottage on Erie down by Wheatly but I havn't been out fishing on it yet. I get my perch fix on Rice lake in the winter though. It's only 15 minutes away, and I've got a couple buddies that put huts out.

Comment

I airbrushed on a white base coat and the kids took it from there.

My daughter did this one, Son did the other 2.

This one was mine. My first time airbrushing. Came out better than I expected and the only fun I've ever had painting something lol. While gluing the eyes on mine I got some glue on my thumb and peeled off all the paint around the eye....grrr. Did the best I could with a brush to redo it but it looks like crap. Oh well. Im sure if a fish is dumb enough to get near it, it's not going to mind lol.

Glued the eyes on, and glitter bombed the middle 2. First coat of clear (dunked in polyurethane) hanging to dry right now.

Many mistakes were made making these, but we're already looking forward to making more. Fun family project. Going to try and get down to the lake tomorrow morning and try them out.

Comment

the kids did a "spectacular" job,,, tell them their like farm animals though - don't name them or there's going to be some whimpering when one gets snagged on a log 50ft below and the only thing that comes up on the end of the pole is a broken line :-(

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                            the kids did a "spectacular" job,,, tell them their like farm animals though - don't name them or there's going to be some whimpering when one gets snagged on a log 50ft below and the only thing that comes up on the end of the pole is a broken line :-(
                            My son already told me he hopes I tie the knot really good so he doesn't lose it lol.

All done, ready for the water. Had to tie some feathered treble hooks to colour match too.

Comment

Really nice work Dan. You should post some of those pictures in the Gallery over at Tackle Underground and in the Tackle Makers only sub board at Yuma Bass Man.

I mean, yeah the paint looks crude, but the overall accomplishment is excellent, and I really liked your description of how you make the eyes. … and the paint doesn't look crude at all when you look at the context and the big picture.
                              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Working...
                              X