No announcement yet.

OT - Making fish eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan--what a fun thread! Lures look great and the kids look happy with the deal. Hope you catch lots of fish.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

I hope so too Brian.

I don't think they're good enough to show off anywhere but here Bob.... Kids had fun, I had fun, we learned stuff, and they "might" catch something. It's a win.

I was playing around this morning and found an even better and easier way to do the eyes. Already looking forward to the next batch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
        I was playing around this morning and found an even better and easier way to do the eyes......
        ....which turned out to be a complete fail. Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I think if I spaced them out a bit more, it wouldn't have happened. I also punched the paper from the back side so there was a bit of an upwards lip. I thought it would help hold the epoxy on the surface better.

I tried some super glue, both runny, and gel, and they were both failures too. The clear runny glue dried hard and white with cracks in it, and the gel just didn't dry at all lol. It looked perfect till I tried to pick it up and stuck my finger in it .

I'm also going to try airbrushing a gradient onto the tape first, then punch the eyes out and painting the iris before globing the epoxy on. Having fun playing around with this. Just wish I had more time to go fishing right now.

Comment

I don't knock imperfections as sometimes the fishies seem to like them better - reminds me of that story of my Dad butchering up some guys brand new daredevil with his pocket knife and then handing it back to him lol he should never have asked what was a "modified daredevil" lol

fishing sure can bring out some good memorable times...

Comment

Great project. And getting the kids involved is wonderful.

Hope you have a big catch. I assume you are going to let them find out who's lures catch the most fish.

PS: I think the super glue gel needs to be fairly thin to dry properly. It does not fill large cracks.
            Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 08-25-2019, 07:42 PM.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

The biggest fish I ever caught was a largemouth bass, about 6 pounds. It was caught on a big green wooden frog that was all made in segments. I was about 12 years old and had stopped on the way home from school and was fishing off old Charley Eiders dock. The drag on my casting rod wasn't tight enough and I couldn't get the fish landed. My cousin Wayne got so excited that he jumped into the lake and grabbed the fish once I got it in close to shore. Neither of us had seen a fish that big before. It was about a week before bass season opened, but there was no way I was throwing it back. I had a parcel carrier mounted on the front of my old J.C. Higgins bicycle, and that fish was so big it hung over both ends of the parcel carrier.
              There were a lot of Birch trees around the dock, and later that summer I managed to cast up into the damned trees and my line broke. Far as I know, the frog is still up there.--Brian
              Brian Rupnow

Comment

Started working on the next lure last night. An 8" jointed perch swimbait.

My first time carving anything that is supposed to look like something else. Struggled a bit with the symmetry of the face but I don't think a fish would complain

If I get time tonight I'll start on the fins and tail. If not it'll have to wait till next weekend. Hopefully this one goes well, as I have a much more ambitious one planned for the next lure. It's been fun so far. Wish I had more time to use them though .

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                  The biggest fish I ever caught was a largemouth bass, about 6 pounds. It was caught on a big green wooden frog that was all made in segments. I was about 12 years old and had stopped on the way home from school and was fishing off old Charley Eiders dock. The drag on my casting rod wasn't tight enough and I couldn't get the fish landed. My cousin Wayne got so excited that he jumped into the lake and grabbed the fish once I got it in close to shore. Neither of us had seen a fish that big before. It was about a week before bass season opened, but there was no way I was throwing it back. I had a parcel carrier mounted on the front of my old J.C. Higgins bicycle, and that fish was so big it hung over both ends of the parcel carrier.
                  There were a lot of Birch trees around the dock, and later that summer I managed to cast up into the damned trees and my line broke. Far as I know, the frog is still up there.--Brian
                  Biggest bass I caught was a 22 1/2" FAT small mouth (~6-6.5lbs estimated). I was about 13 and fishing with my Dad and his friend in a 14' tinner and hooked into a monster. After the first jump we all looked at each other and then made a plan to get it in the boat with no net. It jumped a couple more times, as I was trying to get it to the side of the boat so one of them could grab it when it took line again, then started running toward the surface and jumped right in the middle of the boat. I wanted to keep it to mount, but dad convinced me to throw it back. No camera or scale, only a measuring tape. Its the only noteworthy fish I've ever caught. Don't think I've ever caught another one over 5 since, but I'm not much of a bass fisherman.

Comment

I don't really care for fish as a meal. Don't like the taste of fish, so I don't go fishing. My oldest boy is a real fisherman, but him and his family like the taste of fish. It took me a while when I was a kid to learn the all important lesson--"If you won't eat it, then don't kill it."
                    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                      I don't really care for fish as a meal. Don't like the taste of fish, so I don't go fishing. My oldest boy is a real fisherman, but him and his family like the taste of fish. It took me a while when I was a kid to learn the all important lesson--"If you won't eat it, then don't kill it."
                      Most times I go fishing it's with the hope that something comes home for the table as we all love fish here. I generally don't keep bass, but have kept smaller 2-3lbs once in a while. A 6+lber is much more useful as a breeder than a meal, but trying to convince a 13yo who's just caught the biggest fish of his life that, must have been a challenge back then for Dad lol. It was the right call. Smaller fish taste better anyway IMO.

Comment

Lookin' good. But with that setup and those socks, how do you not track fish and chips into the house?

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
                          Lookin' good. But with that setup and those socks, how do you not track fish and chips into the house?
                          I've stolen a corner of the basement for some small woodworking tools. I brought my bandsaw down, wood lathe, and small belt/disc sander. I share a room with the woodstove, and wood storage so it's messy already, and any scrap disapears quickly Just gotta be careful that the dust, and chips don't find their way onto the other side of the basement that is my wifes yarn/craft stuff. Shopvac is pretty handy for that . Her Dad's entire basement is his woodshop, so she "understands".

On a related note, we got out fishing today, and although all the lures we made previously worked surprisingly well (yeah, even that blue worm contraption my son made lol), with pretty good action we couldn't convince any fish to take a bite in any of the 4 spots we stopped and fished from today. My Son has the "building bug" and is just like me. He came home with a head full of ideas to make for next time. Can't wait.

Comment

Having gotten my 3d printer working again, I decided to see what it could do for my new lure making hobby. This is printed in Glow in the dark PLA, and took just under an hour. I drew it up quick as I just wanted to try out a few things, but it turned out great. Much better than I expected, and is WAY stronger than I thought. Shouldn't have any issues with wear and tear from use. I glued the 2 half's together with bondic uv resin, and both rattle chambers rattle as they should. It's actually quite loud. Haven't had any more time to play with it, but I have many more ideas how to utilize it for making lures. Waiting till cyber Monday to see if there are any deals on an elegoo mars printer and will buy one. The better resolution will help to direct print molds for casting lure body's and soft plastics.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
                              Really nice work Dan. You should post some of those pictures in the Gallery over at Tackle Underground and in the Tackle Makers only sub board at Yuma Bass Man.

I mean, yeah the paint looks crude, but the overall accomplishment is excellent, and I really liked your description of how you make the eyes. … and the paint doesn't look crude at all when you look at the context and the big picture.
                              Try flashing the epoxy with a little heat to get rid of the bubbles. Watch the guys pouring epoxy/wood slabs. They flash the epoxy with a heat gun to lower the viscosity, and make the bubbles dissapear.

Comment

Working...
                              X