Opinion on mill for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on mill for sale

Sorry for the crappy pics. Stumbled across this today. Manual mill. Does not appear to have been used much. Other than some light rust, everything seems to work. Turns on and runs. I'm guessing circa 1980's. Made in Taiwan. Property is going to be sold soon, the heirs of the property want it gone. Said he would let it go for $400. Opinions?

I'd take it in a heartbeat, wee it in my area. You could probably get close to that price just in scrap, even if it does need some work that's a good price to me

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
      I'd take it in a heartbeat, wee it in my area. You could probably get close to that price just in scrap, even if it does need some work that's a good price to me
      Concur. I've seen machines in that condition and people want like $1500-2000 for them.... $400 is reasonable given the work it needs.

Comment

I was thinking it was pretty fair myself, but thought I'd ask first. The quill works on the fine feed, but I could not figure out how to release it to use the side handle. At the price, I think it is worth the chance that something might be broken. Supposedly it was bought new. I'm guessing it weighs 2500 pounds? I need to figure out a plan on how to move it.

Comment

goferit.

Comment

Light rust is nothing! $400 for that mill will get you a well deserved "YOU SUCK" for getting such a great deal.....

Comment

It has one shot lube, of course you should buy it, I would

Comment

He's in a catch 22 situation.
                He sucks if he gets it,
                he sucks if he passes on it

Comment

Get it, sooner not later.. go..already.

Comment

I wouldn't have even risked taking the time to post on here, I'd be on my way with a trailer, $400 and a case of beer!

Comment

Did you leave yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post
                        Sorry for the crappy pics. Stumbled across this today. Manual mill. Does not appear to have been used much. Other than some light rust, everything seems to work. Turns on and runs. I'm guessing circa 1980's. Made in Taiwan. Property is going to be sold soon, the heirs of the property want it gone. Said he would let it go for $400. Opinions?

I'd pay 400 for that so fast that sparks would be flying off my money.

Even if it's junk, you could part it out and scrap whatever doesn't sell and not be out anything.

Comment

That looks exactly like one of my mills, except the name on mine is Round Tower.
                          It is also a Taiwan built machine.
                          Great machine, I bought mine in the early 90's from the family of the original owner.
                          I'd snap that up real quick if I were you.

THANX RICH
                          People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

The easy way to load it on a pickup truck ( and unload) is to have a Tow truck pick it up and back your truck under it
                            Use a 5,000 pound hand truck if you can get your hands on one.

It looks llike about 2200 hundred pounds (J head with a 12 inch knee
                            I have moved my BridgePort (BP) many times and many others for friends as well.
                            I didn't have a handtruck so I made a cart. That is a 1/4 x 2 X2 steel angle cart with 4 heavy Phenolic (1,000#Rated ea) Straight wheels with needle bearings --NO Casters!
                            You can "bar" it over to change directions. The cart is 4 inches off the floor and has an angle in the front and the back, so the BP can't slide off forward/backward.
                            I keep my BP on 4x4 in the shop, so I place the cart next to it and slide it sideways on to the cart (wheels MUST be at extreme sideways location. For loading and unloading I took two 8 foot long "I" Beams (4 inch X ?? 5 /16 )and turned them over (90 deg)so they become a channeled track. The end (at the bed )(NO Tail Gate !) is notched back 6 inches so the web rests on the bed and the end on the ground is cut away (tapered0 so the web also rests on the ground.
                            Now all I do is roll the BP up to the beams, and tie a "Come-Along" to the BP and winch it up the track and onto the bed...by my self, many times.. I use a crowbar to change directions and assist the wheels to climb onto the web. Also for safety I use a spare strap or rope that has to be tightened every few moments, as I had a Come-along break on me one time, but I was only 8 inches from the bottom and no harm was done. Also it is a good idea to place some 6 X 6 wood blocks in the middle of the beams for added support on the weight. You must never forget that you have a ton of metal on wheels !
                            I have used trailers, BUT BEWARE, They have a tendency to tip when the ball hitch fails !
                            Seen it before ..but not on any of my moves. a friend lost a cherry BP fell off his trailer.

Rich
                            Building the hauler above will save you about 200 to 400 dollars I believe

Comment

Here are some Cart Pics

The last move was for a Tree mill, so I had to add about 6 inches to the length which you can see.
                              Note how the wheels should be as far out and forward for stability and to not have a ramp entry problem .
                              The raised angle also allows for plenty of strapping to be used. The ends hold the front and back of the BP snugly.
                              I see they have a eye bolt in the ram...be careful here as the eyebolt rating is at maximum (1/2-13 ) ( 2,250# ?) and I would be watchful of any side loads
                              Rich
                              Far better to strap around the Ram with Nylon straps rated at 3,000 PSI

Comment

Working...
                              X