OT: Jessi Combs Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    Yup,even if I was married to her.I have no trouble helping them do the things they can do as equals.I only draw the line at things where they are at clear disadvantage,which are few.The one caveat for both genders is if there are small children at home.Before children or after they are on their way as young adults,fine take all the risks you want.When they are little,well,that's an overriding responsibility IMO.
    As equals ? yeah maybe but keep in mind this project at it's best is not clearly understood by anyone,,, im not talking about all the fairly predictable racing she's done before - im talking about the land speed record, big diff. helping someone with something you know all too well in comparison to keeping your fingers crossed while saying "bon-voyage"

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      As equals ? yeah maybe but keep in mind this project at it's best is not clearly understood by anyone,,, im not talking about all the fairly predictable racing she's done before - im talking about the land speed record, big diff. helping someone with something you know all too well in comparison to keeping your fingers crossed while saying "bon-voyage"
      As long as she's aware of the risks I don't see any difference in it.We aren't talking a test monkey here,competent people of both genders know this stuff is sketchy.I mean it's not like women haven't watched their men go off to work they might not come home from for centuries,the early Astronauts come to mind.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Welp - it's official - im old fashioned when it comes to this... couldn't help with the build just couldn't - not just for her but for my own self doubt, i don't know if i could handle the shoulda/woulda/coulda's if something did go wrong --- actually that goes for anyone else driving it except for me...

have to add, and i would not allow myself to drive it either, absolutely not my cup of tea...
        Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 09-04-2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

It was a race like many others. Chit happens and people die.

Wanna talk about the old days of racing open cars? No. JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

If some people don't understand what drives others to take on what they would consider unnecessary risks - that's fine. There's no requirement for that. They should at least understand that there must be a reason even if they can't rationalise it themselves.

The worlds fastest woman on a roadbike is currently Becki Ellis, from Yorkshire. HER bike is built and maintained by her own husband Mick. She loves what she does, he supports her - no-one else's opinion matters.
            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

believe me - as far as personal risk in allot of ways your preaching to the choir here, I get that - I even get others doing the builds for others and yes even in an extreme case like this, and my personal opinion is not in any way shape or form trying to contradict what they do - but due to a variety of circumstances - it's not for me, count me out - that's all im saying.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                It was a race like many others. Chit happens and people die.

Wanna talk about the old days of racing open cars? No. JR
                Sport for wusses,now Board Track motorcycle racing,that was dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
                  If some people don't understand what drives others to take on what they would consider unnecessary risks - that's fine. There's no requirement for that. They should at least understand that there must be a reason even if they can't rationalise it themselves.

The worlds fastest woman on a roadbike is currently Becki Ellis, from Yorkshire. HER bike is built and maintained by her own husband Mick. She loves what she does, he supports her - no-one else's opinion matters.
                  Exactly,plus all one needs to do these days is pull up Youtube and witness all the completely moronic stuff people do out of stupidity or boredom.Example,eating laundry detergent,or setting oneself on fire for a dare.Imagine if those idiots had brains and applied them to auto racing or sailing etc.

Comment

Back on point, I've spent a few nights on the Alvord desert. It is about 12 miles N-S and 8 E-W. At 450 mph, you would cover the long axis in around 2 minutes, giving no time for spin up or deceleration via drag chutes. Must have been a wild ride.

I see the record on that dry lake bed was set by Kitty O'Neil in 1976, averaging 512 mph with a peak (momentary speed?) of 622 mph. Wow. After that run, setting the women's land speed record, she was quoted as saying she believed she could have exceeded 700 mph in that hydrogen-peroxide fueled jet engine beast.

Dan
                    “All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party.” (Problems of War and Strategy, Nov 6 1938, published in “Selected Works of Mao Zedong,” 1965)

Comment

• Originally posted by Danl View Post
                      Back on point, I've spent a few nights on the Alvord desert. It is about 12 miles N-S and 8 E-W. At 450 mph, you would cover the long axis in around 2 minutes, giving no time for spin up or deceleration via drag chutes. Must have been a wild ride.

I see the record on that dry lake bed was set by Kitty O'Neil in 1976, averaging 512 mph with a peak (momentary speed?) of 622 mph. Wow. After that run, setting the women's land speed record, she was quoted as saying she believed she could have exceeded 700 mph in that hydrogen-peroxide fueled jet engine beast.

Dan
                      Hydrogen-Oxide? Isn't that what the Germans used in WW2 with the ME163 Komet? Read somewhere that you definitely do not want that stuff anywhere near your flesh.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                        Hydrogen-Oxide? Isn't that what the Germans used in WW2 with the ME163 Komet? Read somewhere that you definitely do not want that stuff anywhere near your flesh.

Actually is's very pure Hydrogen Peroxide. I saw this twin Turbonique Kart run in 1966 at Lakeland dragstrip here in Memphis. https://www.vintagekarts.com/Rockets/Rockets.htm It was part of a travelling show along with with E.J. Potter's injected smallblock Chevy powered motorcycle, Little Red Wagon, etc. I can still smell 'em. Ahh, the good ol' days!!
                        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• Pure Hydrogen Peroxide is some pretty nasty stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                            Pure Hydrogen Peroxide is some pretty nasty stuff
                            Yeah, according the documentaries I've read and seen, the pilots of the Komet had to wear rubberized suits while flying in case the fuel lines got shot up or sprung a leak. The HP would melt their skin. Add to that the fact that the fuels were hypergolic and that had to be one nasty little plane to fly. Several pilots were reported to had been literally dissolved when they crashed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluechips View Post
                              Yeah, according the documentaries I've read and seen, the pilots of the Komet had to wear rubberized suits while flying in case the fuel lines got shot up or sprung a leak. The HP would melt their skin. Add to that the fact that the fuels were hypergolic and that had to be one nasty little plane to fly. Several pilots were reported to had been literally dissolved when they crashed.
                              I hope she didn't have to endure any of that.

Comment

• I watched a show on the ME163 and one German they interviewed said one would just blow up sitting out on the field. They showed them poring a vary small amount of 1 part fuel into 2nd part, poof.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X