Shop Fox M1018 Change Gears - need specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Fox M1018 Change Gears - need specs

I believe this is my first post on this forum. Hoping to find some information from anyone out there that owns a Shop Fox M1018.

A couple years ago I bought this machine for like $300 - it was pretty cheap but the trade-off was that it's missing the change gears and some other accessories that ship with it new. Anyway, I'm looking for the change gear measurements as I can't find the gears online. I'm guessing a new set from Woodstock International would be excessively expensive, if they even have them. One thing I have seen is people 3D printing gears from Nylon... and I am equipped to do this, however, I don't have any of the missing gear dimensions and I need those measurements to draw them in CAD.

The gears I do have are 120T, and the 60/120 duplex gear... all the other change gears are gone. I would need measurements for the outer diameter, hole diameter, hole collar(? not sure if that's the right term), and hole key-way (if applicable) info.

Per the manual, I need the following gears (tooth count)...
    60 (I can measure this from my 60/120 duplex I'm sure - but don't know if the 60 tooth-only has a collar/key-way on the center hole)
    and the 120/127 (I could also likely derive this one from my other duplex gear).

If anyone owns this machine and has these gears and is willing to measure them I'd greatly appreciate the info. Thanks!

Originally posted by lg1382 View Post
    I believe this is my first post on this forum. Hoping to find some information from anyone out there that owns a Shop Fox M1018.

A couple years ago I bought this machine for like $300 - it was pretty cheap but the trade-off was that it's missing the change gears and some other accessories that ship with it new. Anyway, I'm looking for the change gear measurements as I can't find the gears online. I'm guessing a new set from Woodstock International would be excessively expensive, if they even have them. One thing I have seen is people 3D printing gears from Nylon... and I am equipped to do this, however, I don't have any of the missing gear dimensions and I need those measurements to draw them in CAD.

The gears I do have are 120T, and the 60/120 duplex gear... all the other change gears are gone. I would need measurements for the outer diameter, hole diameter, hole collar(? not sure if that's the right term), and hole key-way (if applicable) info.

Per the manual, I need the following gears (tooth count)...
    60 (I can measure this from my 60/120 duplex I'm sure - but don't know if the 60 tooth-only has a collar/key-way on the center hole)
    and the 120/127 (I could also likely derive this one from my other duplex gear).

If anyone owns this machine and has these gears and is willing to measure them I'd greatly appreciate the info. Thanks!
    Using formulas, you can derive what modular they are from an existing gear. It looks very similar to a HF 3in1.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah... I've done some number crunching based on measurements of the existing gears I have. It takes tooth count, circumference, and pitch diameter to get the basic setup... which appears to be fairly decent. My problem now is that I have no idea what gears have collars or key-ways or anything like that. I'm also assuming they are all the same thickness... Just a few unknowns for me and they take hours to print so I'd like to not waste time guessing if I can avoid it.

Here is the gear stack I've started in Sketchup... as you can see, the walls on the 24T are a bit thin. I'm wondering if those smaller gears have a smaller hole diameter for instance?

Last edited by lg1382; 08-31-2019, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Got a photo of the interior of the cabinet, where the change gears mount?

That machine looks like an old version that Shoptask sold. I have a full set of change gears for a later Shoptask, that might fit your machine.

Comment

Here are a couple photos...

Comment

You can measure your gears and use a calculator like this : https://www.ondrives.com/gear-calculator

Comment

Yeah, I've calculated the size and printed the 75, 24, 25, and 27 and they all mesh together and with the 120/60 duplex gear I have so I think my stack pictured above is calculated correctly. I used the formulas here: http://users.tpg.com.au/agnet/cq9325rev7-n2.html

I just looked closer in the manual and noticed the difference in the center hole diameters...

The majority of them are shown with a keyed collar (again.. not sure if that's the right term). It just dawned on me that the two gears I do have, have a hole of each type... 39 is my duplex gear without the collar, and 38 is the 120 (which I've never taken out of my machine) and that has the collar with smaller center hole. So... it appears I could measure that 120's center hole, key, collar, and height and transfer that to the other gears in CAD... but that's still assuming they are all the same. I suppose I can look at the threading chart to also determine which gears go where and if the collared ones all go in the same spot... that leaves me to assume they should all have the same hole, key way, and collar.

Looks like more measuring and calculating in my future... I'd still love to see photos of anyone else's that has this model.

Comment

Rush Gears has an excellent free online spur gear generator.
                Enter the PD, Pitch/Module, pressure angle and any other data that you have and it will spit out a 2d DWG/DXF drawing in seconds.
                https://www.rushgears.com/tech-tools/part-search

Looks like so, be aware that this is a rough drawing however and there may be errors but saves a good deal of time.

Comment

If you know what the most likely thread pitches you will be cutting, then just make the gears for them, some of those gears will be for very obscure thread pitches.

Comment

OP, any progress on this? I just bought a used 1018 and did not get any of the change gears with mine.

Comment

Working...
                    X