Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.T. Paddle Wheels (for mud)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • O.T. Paddle Wheels (for mud)

    I finished building these paddle wheels for on my Swather Windrower yesterday.Got 130 acres done with some very wet areas,they worked Great never got stuck (that's coming)lol!

  • #2
    Looks fantastic, great idea! What is that, 3/8 plate for the paddles?
    You guys have had one heck of a soggy year up your way, I'm surprised you got to take a photo of setup in the sun.
    Hopefully the harvest weather will be a little more kind to you than it has been.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

    Location: British Columbia

    Comment


    • #3
      They are really just to shred the tires of the other guys when racing in the mud

      Nice work, as always!

      Comment


      • #4
        I can remember having something similar on one of the old tractors Grandpa had. What are you cutting this time of the year that is so wet? Swathers have been in the shed around here for awhile.

        lg
        no neat sig line
        near Salem OR

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Willy View Post
          Looks fantastic, great idea! What is that, 3/8 plate for the paddles?
          You guys have had one heck of a soggy year up your way, I'm surprised you got to take a photo of setup in the sun.
          Hopefully the harvest weather will be a little more kind to you than it has been.
          The Paddles are 1/4" ,used a 17" split rim for mounting them on then bolt onto Swather Rim.Most of my flat ground really took a beating this year with a 1/3 of those acres at zero production.Let's hope we get some nice harvest weather,the Combines have been eating material that should have had a Silage Cutter instead the last 3 years.Thanks.
          Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
          They are really just to shred the tires of the other guys when racing in the mud

          Nice work, as always!
          Maybe in my younger years,Thanks.
          Originally posted by larry_g View Post
          I can remember having something similar on one of the old tractors Grandpa had. What are you cutting this time of the year that is so wet? Swathers have been in the shed around here for awhile.

          lg
          no neat sig line
          These Paddle contraptions have been around for a long time,never seen them mass produced.Seems like every one just builds them when ground get really really NASTY this is my first time using them this will be my 37th crop.
          I'm swathing canola and it usually take 3-4 weeks to cure before it can be harvested.

          Comment


          • #6
            How long did it take to build 2 or 4 of those ?
            Last edited by 754; 09-02-2019, 04:53 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hey TTT,

              Being a City guy could you show a picture of them in use? Those look like some real monsters if your working in ground that is so wet that you need those to drive the tractor.

              The design looks strong.

              TX
              Mr fixit for the family
              Chris

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                ..........I'm swathing canola and it usually take 3-4 weeks to cure before it can be harvested.
                Canola? These paddles look like you'd be swathing rice!

                Seriously, I really hope the weather smartens up for all farmers.
                Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

                  These Paddle contraptions have been around for a long time,never seen them mass produced.Seems like every one just builds them when ground get really really NASTY this is my first time using them this will be my 37th crop.
                  I'm swathing canola and it usually take 3-4 weeks to cure before it can be harvested.
                  Watched some of the harvest on utube and read a bit. Seems you have similar issues that we have with grass seed here in the Willamette Valley. Have to swath just right to prevent shattering and then harvest when all is ripe. This year we had a lot of rain in July which prevented combining fpr a couple of weeks and by the time they were on the field 1/2 the crop had been shattered by the rain. As a kid here I can remember having to pull a baler with the crawler because the ground was to soft for wheel tractor yer the hay was dry and ready to bale. Now that I'm retired all the land is leased out and someone else has the worry.

                  lg
                  no neat sig line
                  near Salem OR

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've never seen those before. Does anyone have a link to a video of a tractor mud-bogging with a set of those?---Brian
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 754 View Post
                      How long did it take to build 2 or 4 of those ?
                      It took me about 4 days to make 2,I am battling a nasty Cold-Flu so was not at the top of my game,still fighting it can only make 8hrs swathing.
                      Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                      Hey TTT,

                      Being a City guy could you show a picture of them in use? Those look like some real monsters if your working in ground that is so wet that you need those to drive the tractor.

                      The design looks strong.

                      TX
                      Mr fixit for the family
                      Chris
                      Chris will try and get someone to Video it,wife battling same as me so in feild alone.
                      Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                      Canola? These paddles look like you'd be swathing rice!

                      Seriously, I really hope the weather smartens up for all farmers.
                      We need lots of sunny weather and wind.
                      Originally posted by larry_g View Post
                      Watched some of the harvest on utube and read a bit. Seems you have similar issues that we have with grass seed here in the Willamette Valley. Have to swath just right to prevent shattering and then harvest when all is ripe. This year we had a lot of rain in July which prevented combining fpr a couple of weeks and by the time they were on the field 1/2 the crop had been shattered by the rain. As a kid here I can remember having to pull a baler with the crawler because the ground was to soft for wheel tractor yer the hay was dry and ready to bale. Now that I'm retired all the land is leased out and someone else has the worry.

                      lg
                      no neat sig line
                      This farming Gig has a lot of challenges and its usally Mother Nature,she swings a Big Hammer!
                      Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                      I've never seen those before. Does anyone have a link to a video of a tractor mud-bogging with a set of those?---Brian
                      Brian I searched for video of these with no luck,my neighbor down the road used these in 1996 and built another set this year to fit his updated swather.I remember we dualed up our swathers that year but I think Paddles chew better.One down fall is you have be cautious and not drop tire into rut on hard surface the steel doesn't give like dual tire does.
                      Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 09-03-2019, 12:55 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                        I've never seen those before. Does anyone have a link to a video of a tractor mud-bogging with a set of those?---Brian
                        A number of years ago a farmer buddy of mine introduced me to a periodical called Farm Show Magazine. Farmers being the resourceful lot that they need to be, have improvised out of necessity, all manor of getter-done tools, gadgets, and anything else that will help the day go by a little easier.

                        I think Tundra Twin Track qualifies to have more than just an honorable mention in that mag as he has demonstrated his resourcefulness on these pages more than once. Heck I'd be surprised if he isn't a regular contributor over there. LOL

                        Been a few years since I paged through a recent copy but I see they now have a YouTube channel, hey who doesn't? Gotta keep up with the times!

                        Although this is not quite like what triple "T" has shown here it follows the same concept of gaining traction when it is only a fleeting memory.

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ytFHgkhuB4
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

                        Location: British Columbia

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                          I'm swathing canola and it usually take 3-4 weeks to cure before it can be harvested.
                          Always learn something new! Around here they use only combine harvesters and grain drying silos.
                          Dunno why? Maybe weather is even worse in here around the harvest.

                          AFAIK Cutting and drying grain in the field was done around here back when it was hand-cut and collected to sheafs
                          (that were latter carried to tresher) but even back then the grains or sheafs were dried in sort of loghouse heated with stove.
                          Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                            Always learn something new!
                            likewise! thanks for the info and pics TTT

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have seen something similar on the two wheeled tractors you walk behind that they use in Switzerland. They were for climbing up the steep hills I think. Not so much for the mud.
                              Location: The Black Forest in Germany

                              How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X