No announcement yet.

O.T. Paddle Wheels (for mud)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a farmer friend that would chain a railroad tie across the duels on his John Deere when he got stuck. It worked some times, sure dug a hole if it spun around.

Jon.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheap Jon View Post
      I had a farmer friend that would chain a railroad tie across the duels on his John Deere when he got stuck. It worked some times, sure dug a hole if it spun around.

Jon.
      If he tries to back the tractor out of the situation with the railroad tie chained across the wheels he could flip the tractor over on top of himself! I have seen it with my own eyes! Not me but someone else driving. I told him he needed to be careful but you know how that goes.........hold my beer sort of thing!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
        If he tries to back the tractor out of the situation with the railroad tie chained across the wheels he could flip the tractor over on top of himself! I have seen it with my own eyes! Not me but someone else driving. I told him he needed to be careful but you know how that goes.........hold my beer sort of thing!
        Nope! Chaining the tie in back of the tires and backing out is the safe way.

Comment

From what I saw there is no safe way. The tractor would just jump ahead, the trick was to stop before the tie came around and hit the driver. Not much beer out in the field but back at the barn! The work shop had a refrigerator with 3 shelves of Drewrys beer, after the 3rd one they all taste the same.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
            I've never seen those before. Does anyone have a link to a video of a tractor mud-bogging with a set of those?---Brian
            No apologies for this gruesome video

THIS IS A VIDEO OF THE DEATH OF A FELLOW HUMAN BEING The result of this is permanently Dead Driver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEyw88TnOF4

It takes under TWO Seconds from front wheels on the ground to completed overturn. Without a proper roll cage and a set belt worn your chance of survival is very slim.

Be careful out there a tractor can be a wild beast that can and will kill you.

Eric Chapman

Comment

[QUOTE=Willy;1253741]A number of years ago a farmer buddy of mine introduced me to a periodical called Farm Show Magazine. Farmers being the resourceful lot that they need to be, have improvised out of necessity, all manor of getter-done tools, gadgets, and anything else that will help the day go by a little easier.

Thanks Willy my Big Auger was on the front page of the Farm Show Paper about 15 years ago.They also had my 36' Self Propelled Ladder in the same issue.

Prairie Farm Report was at the farm shortly after that, filming the Auger,Autocar Tandem Tandem Grain Truck and Self Propelled Ladder.The camera guy and the narrator burst out laughing when I drove the ladder out from behind the shed.They apologized for laughing and assured me it wasn't a insult ,they said it looked so dam funny seeing a ladder being driven across the yard.We all had a chuckle and they were really great guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                Nope! Chaining the tie in back of the tires and backing out is the safe way.
                You are probably right as it happened so fast I didn't really watch which way he was going! Nevertheless it is dangerous.

I also saw a manned killed trying to pull a stump. He had his chain attached to the hitch pin and it was too high and over the rear axle's axis and that thing flipped really fast.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Nice job Tundra. Hope it work well for you. Weather sure played hell with the farmers around here this year too.

Comment

Thanks Willy my Big Auger was on the front page of the Farm Show Paper about 15 years ago.They also had my 36' Self Propelled Ladder in the same issue.

Prairie Farm Report was at the farm shortly after that, filming the Auger,Autocar Tandem Tandem Grain Truck and Self Propelled Ladder.The camera guy and the narrator burst out laughing when I drove the ladder out from behind the shed.They apologized for laughing and assured me it wasn't a insult ,they said it looked so dam funny seeing a ladder being driven across the yard.We all had a chuckle and they were really great guys.
                    Yeah, not surprised that you've been on both venues. LOL
                    Good on you!

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the Farm Show magazine's purpose was to showcase innovative ideas, concepts, and builds as done by farmers in order to do things more efficiently and to utilize the the materials at hand as best they could.
                    Prairie Farm Report was a TV show that I watched often too as it had a portion of the show that focused on much the same, although it had a broader appeal as it covered a much wider scope of farming in a business sense.
                    Wasn't sure if it was still on since I have pretty well dropped TV from my activity list since discovering the great time toilet we call the net.
                    Although I see they too must still be alive since they now have a Youtube presence as well.

Although I'm not a farmer (well we did have 6-8,000 chickens when growing up in Calif.) I have had a lot of exposure to farm life and I've always admired their resourcefulness and some of the unique concepts that they have inspired due to the fact that often times, necessity is the mother of invention.
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                    X