Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone, including the enviro wackos, acknowledges that there was an 'Ice Age'.
    But nobody, acknowledges what happened at the 'end' of the Ice Age.
    And that would be a period of ..........drum roll please........ "Global Warming"

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
      Regardless of what category the storm was the damage looks more like what a powerful tornado would do. The devastation is unbelievable.It must be terrible to lose your house. It doesnt look like a tree is left behind. That will take many years to rebuild. It would make sense to make new laws where all houses have to be brick with a concrete roof.
      I suspect these storm will become the new norm in twenty or so years.
      They've been around for atleast the last 13,000 years,so yes

This year marked 50 years since Hurricane Camile,my grandparents and Uncle rode that one out in their house,the eye passing directy overhead.

https://www.weather.gov/mob/camille

"Camille ranks as the 2nd most intense hurricane to strike the continental US with 900 mb pressure and landfall intensity of 150 knots. Camille ranks just below the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane with 892 mb and 160 knots, while slightly stronger than Hurricane Andrew with 922 mb and 145 knots and Hurricane Michael with 919 mb and 140 knots. The actual maximum sustained winds of Hurricane Camille are not known as the hurricane destroyed all the wind-recording instruments in the landfall area. Re-analysis data found peak winds of 150 knots (roughly 175 mph) along the coast. A devastating storm tide of 24.6 feet occurred west of our area in Pass Christian, MS."

Pictures here-

https://www.wlox.com/2019/08/12/hurr...d-years-later/
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I say it every year someone makes one of these posts.

Live in stupid places, win stupid prizes.

The same places get battered by hurricanes year after year. I don't want to hear any whining or crying when you lose your house for the 5th time.

Last edited by vpt; 09-05-2019, 06:05 PM.
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
          July 1715 a Hurricane hit the East Coast of Florida and destroyed 11 Spanish treasure ships,killed 1100 men and stranded another 1500 on the Florida coast.Only one ship of the original fleet of 12 survived,The Griffon,a French merchant vessel,that reached France a month later.

These storms are nothing new,they are not increasing in intensity or frequency,don't believe the media hype.

Miami,as is much of Florida,is perched atop a limestone shelf.That shelf is chris crossed with subterranean rivers of fresh water that are filled through the watershed,flow out and eventually empty into the ocean.Over time these rivers erode the Limestone,what's happening in south Florida has more to do with erosion and subsidence than with sea level rise.Remember the news article about the poor man who was swallowed alive in his house by a massive sinkhole that opened up under his house while he was sleeping?Subsidence caused by erosion.

The predictions regarding sea level rise in whatever time frame can be taken with a grain of salt.They are mostly based on assumption and computer models fed with faulty data.Keep in mind,we have a hundred satellites dedicated to atmospheric science.Hundreds of weather stations on land and in the sea and at last count 35 or so computer models dedicated to storm track prediction.All of this and look at how much uncertainty we had trying to predict what one storm would do over the course of two weeks.

Then there is this little tidbit of news that didn't make it into the mainstream news feeds.Micheal Mann,the author of the much vaunted hockey stick graph lost his defamation case against Dr Tim Ball.Not only did he lose,he was found in-contempt for refusing to produce the methodology he used to produce his data(remember,if an experiment cannot be reproduced under trial,then the result of the experiment must be rejected) If he had nothing to hide,then why not release the methodology?He should be overjoyed at the opportunity to have his work verified,unless something is wrong. And this is one source of the data being used to predict climate change 50-100 years into the future?I'm not taking any bets based on that.
          hey man, every person is entitled to their opinion. I'm basing my opinion on the opinions of thousands of extremely smart people that have spent their entire lives studying a particular topic and are experts in their field if not the world. Now one could dismiss the opinions and conclusions of all those smart people as being politically biased or because they have a vested interest in their own success or because somehow their data is faulty and instead base ones opinion on what a talking head on TV tells you or what you read on an internet forum. That's your perogative.

However, I'm a scientist. I go with data and the conclusions of experts, however flawed or incomplete they may be. That's just science, it's not an absolute like religion. More data is collected, models get refined, predictions become more precise. If that doesn't make sense to you then I guess the decades long attack on science in the name of climate science denial has done its job. Better watch some more TV.

Comment

Matt, your well-phrased response is a waste of figurative breath. As a scientist and educator, you're well aware of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

For those who are not, a very brief summary:

"In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability."

-js
            There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
              Matt, your well-phrased response is a waste of figurative breath. As a scientist and educator, you're well aware of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

"In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability."

-js
              Is that just a nicer way to describe Democrats??

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                LOL. Nope, Fox TV viewers.

-js
                There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

From weather stations themselves,
                  and here is a good example, read this whole statement, notice in the first part there is gusts of 86mph range, thats the most they could find all around Charleston,
                  then in the second part they make statement of sustained winds 110mph.
                  They got 110mph sustained at winds aloft, and reporting that as a cat-II storm.

WTNT65 KNHC 051655
                  TCUAT5

Hurricane Dorian Tropical Cyclone Update
                  NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL052019
                  100 PM EDT Thu Sep 05 2019

...HURRICANE FORCE WIND GUSTS OCCURRING IN CHARLESTON HARBOR...

Multiple observing stations located in and around Charleston Harbor
                  have reported wind gusts of 75-80 mph (120-129 km/h) within the last
                  hour.

A Weatherflow site in Winyah Bay, SC recently reported a wind gust
                  of 86 mph (138 km/h) at a height of 50 ft.

SUMMARY OF 100 PM EDT...1700 UTC...INFORMATION
                  ----------------------------------------------
                  LOCATION...32.7N 79.0W
                  ABOUT 55 MI...90 KM E OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA
                  ABOUT 125 MI...200 KM SSW OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
                  MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110 MPH...175 KM/H
                  PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 20 DEGREES AT 8 MPH...13 KM/H
                  MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...958 MB...28.29 INCHES

$$
                  Forecaster Zelinsky

AND, they are not adhering to their own definition of Saffir-Simpson scale.
                  The scale is a sustained wind of 1 minute at 10m height. (33feet)

The 86 gust does not qualify for sustained wind, and neither does the 110mph at 10,000ft.
                  https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pdf/sshws.pdf
                  Where are you getting "...at 10,000ft..." ?

Any description of the various wind parameters in a tropical storm system is, for the most part, a summary based on what sampling observations can be made. The wind speeds vary greatly throughout the horizontal extent of the storm...normally the strongest will be found in the right front quadrant, due in part to the added effect of the storm's forward motion. In the case of Dorian, since it had little forward motion I'd expect the wind field was a little more uniform. But even so, the rain and thunderstorm bands also play a part, so you're never likely to have a totally uniform wind pattern.

But just because no reporting station or bouy, etc. reported a value reaching a given threshold certainly does not mean the storm did not have max sustained winds that strong.

As for the Saffir-Simpson scale, that bulletin from the NHC you posted doesn't even mention a "category" ....that's what the Saffir-Simpson scale is, i.e. Cat 1, 2, ...etc., just a grouping based on the max sustained winds.

Comment

-js
                    I know, but I have to try. Otherwise we end up with things like measles outbreaks in first world countries. I did read an interesting opinion piece where it was suggested having a large red button in Doctors surgeries. Don't believe in vaccines, fine <slams button>, you don't get the benefit of the rest of medical science either. Clearly not going to happen due to the hypocratic oath, but an interesting take on the individual-centric approach to science where one can pick and choose what is real based on ones own "beliefs", be they religious, political or whatever.

Didn't know about the Dunning-Kruger effect, but makes sense. Similar to how everyone believes they're a great driver but the average driving ability is mediocre to appalling.

Comment

not much of a way to have a discussion now is it?

Comment

-js
                        You,who lives in a city that literally cannot keep people from defecating in the street,have no business lecturing people on the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                          hey man, every person is entitled to their opinion. I'm basing my opinion on the opinions of thousands of extremely smart people that have spent their entire lives studying a particular topic and are experts in their field if not the world. Now one could dismiss the opinions and conclusions of all those smart people as being politically biased or because they have a vested interest in their own success or because somehow their data is faulty and instead base ones opinion on what a talking head on TV tells you or what you read on an internet forum. That's your perogative.

However, I'm a scientist. I go with data and the conclusions of experts, however flawed or incomplete they may be. That's just science, it's not an absolute like religion. More data is collected, models get refined, predictions become more precise. If that doesn't make sense to you then I guess the decades long attack on science in the name of climate science denial has done its job. Better watch some more TV.
                          Herd mentality,being part of the herd makes you feel safer,it's doesn't make you smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                            I know, but I have to try. Otherwise we end up with things like measles outbreaks in first world countries. I did read an interesting opinion piece where it was suggested having a large red button in Doctors surgeries. Don't believe in vaccines, fine <slams button>, you don't get the benefit of the rest of medical science either. Clearly not going to happen due to the hypocratic oath, but an interesting take on the individual-centric approach to science where one can pick and choose what is real based on ones own "beliefs", be they religious, political or whatever.

Didn't know about the Dunning-Kruger effect, but makes sense. Similar to how everyone believes they're a great driver but the average driving ability is mediocre to appalling.
                            I don't agree and never have agreed with anti-vaxers,but then most are polar opposites from my political and social views on everything else anyway.It's worth noting that vaccines won't save you,if you are living in a trash heep.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#41e1fba1111a

Comment

Wierdscience, please refrain from prohibited political comments, and making insults about people who constitute a clear majority of US citizens, most of whom are much better educated and rational than those with whom you apparently identify. I have so far resisted the urge nto report your posts, but my patience is wearing thin.
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png

Paul: www.peschoen.com
                              P S Technology, Inc. www.pstech-inc.com
                              and Muttley www.muttleydog.com

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                                Wierdscience, please refrain from prohibited political comments, and making insults about people who constitute a clear majority of US citizens, most of whom are much better educated and rational than those with whom you apparently identify. I have so far resisted the urge nto report your posts, but my patience is wearing thin.
                                Political comments?Where? And as to insults,how about you stop slinging them yourself?

Comment

Working...
                                X