No announcement yet.

South Bend Heavy 10 Chuck Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clamp a nice bit of 1" square steel in the chuck and borrow a big impact driver from a garage. Do not engage back gear. Cover bed of lathe with 3/4" plywood. Have two strong friends ready to grab the chuck as it unscrews, but don't let them hold on to it before it unscrews. Keep fingers crossed.

If the chuck is a good one, it might be safer to remove it from the faceplate and tackle the faceplate directly. Removing the inertia of the chuck from the equation might be a better way to proceed.
    Last edited by old mart; 06-10-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
      Clamp a nice bit of 1" square steel in the chuck and borrow a big impact driver from a garage. Do not engage back gear. Cover bed of lathe with 3/4" plywood.
      Excellence idea!! I love it. JR

Comment

If an ice cube in the spindle doesnt work, a can of compressed "air" (r-152a) can take the spindle down to -10F. Preheating the chuck helps.

No need for dry ice which might shrink the spindle enough the bearings could find a new location to freeze on after the spindle warms up and mess up your preload.

Comment

If the backplate is small, it might be possible to reach round behind it and make a thin cut in the flange just to the right of the spindle shoulder. After cutting most of the way to the spindle, the axial pressure will lessen and allow the unscrewing. If the cut is thin, then by reversing the backplate on to a faceplate, the cut end can be faced off. There could be enough left to re use the backplate after facing off the front to bolt the chuck back on. I would use a hacksaw and cut a bit at a time. Even if the backplate was scrapped, it would be less messy than machining the whole thing off.

Comment

If your bull gear has holes in it, you can do this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	chuck tool.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.5 KB ID:	1880659

Click image for larger version  Name:	chuck tool 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.8 KB ID:	1880660
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Sell it and get a lathe with a Camlock spindle.

Comment

Well, in my case, that gorilla would be myself. I will need to put a "U" shaped bend in the pry bar.

Like a lot of the other stuck chucks described here, time and/or normal machining was the cause of the problem, not over tightening.

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                Take the 1/2" bend pry bar and go beat the gorilla that put the chuck on that tight! He has no place in a machine shop!!!!
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                X