Quorn Mk3 - Universal Tool & Cutter Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cameron View Post
    Instead of "graduated in ten thousanths of an inch", it should have read "graduated in one ten thousanths of an inch". Then the meaning would have been perfectly clear.

Right ???
    Both are correct and say exactly the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
      It looks to me like a very complicated job requiring close tolerance machining.
      I'm genuinely curious as to what's going to be required and how. I intend on documenting it thoroughly.

Comment

I built the Mk2 a few years back. I modded the vertical pillar for more adjustability.

The whole thing took over a year, and then it's open ended, as you can spend months more adding support for different collet types, different cutter threads, air bearings...

One of the images my site at http://www.rohart.org.uk/engweb/myquorn.html shows the mod to the pillar.

It's good as a precision tool, but it needs a lot of set-up. It's not so much the angles you do need to set up, it's the checking that all the other adjustments are zeroed, or not about to upset your task.

If Hemingway releases an upgrade kit I might just be interested.

I regard making the Quorn as having passed some kind of initiation test. I have entered the realm of the crazy !
        Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

As a person who has written, reviewed, and edited a lot of technical papers... I'd be very tempted to say

"graduated in tenths of a thousanth of an inch".

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
            As a person who has written, reviewed, and edited a lot of technical papers... I'd be very tempted to say

"graduated in tenths of a thousanth of an inch".
            Gotcha!
            Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
              Gotcha!
              Yes, you did. Now I will have to stalk you, and kill you, your family, your living ancestors, your descendants, and all those who have ever met you.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                for
                individuals not used to working in inches. .
                Who wouldn't be used to working in inches, it is the superior system. That metric thing is just a flash in the pan doomed to fade away.
                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Ok, I'll admit that I've just sent Young Kirk a handful of PayPal for the drawings to see if there are any bright ideas that I can add to the set of castings that are 'seasoning' in the shed.

As for the metric thing. I tend to think in inches, psi and degrees C. The 1952 Hardinge talks both metric and Imperial with no problems, but most of the rest of the tools only speak English. I use whatever is easiest. Note that a 1mm thread against a 26tpi thread makes a very good nine tenths (of a thou) per turn differential screw.
                  Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                    Who wouldn't be used to working in inches, it is the superior system. That metric thing is just a flash in the pan doomed to fade away.
                    I can't ever tell if you guys are joking or not.
                    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
                      ..... "graduated in ten thousanths of an inch", it should have read "graduated in one ten thousanths of an inch". Then the meaning would have been perfectly clear.

Both are correct and say exactly the same thing.
                      Both are accepted as correct by the machining brotherhood, and assumed to be saying the same thing, But they are not!
                      When interpreted using the proper English language and mathmatical standards for communicating, the first is 100 times larger than the second.

(added) In fact that has always bothered me. In a discipline where accuracy and precision means so much you'd think people would adhere to more unambiguous, precise communication.
                      Last edited by lynnl; 09-10-2019, 08:29 AM.
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

If it makes anyone feel better, this particular Quorn will speak metric. So scales will be graduated in μm.

Hopefully this puts the debate to bed

Comment

Boy, that raises a question I never thought to worry about.

I've got a Quorn and the screw and dial are graduated in thousanths of an inch. I've also got a few metric endmills in the drawer. When I have to sharpen those, where do I find the metric transposing gears for the screw so I can do metric sharpening too.

"People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                            Both are accepted as correct by the machining brotherhood, and assumed to be saying the same thing, But they are not!
                            When interpreted using the proper English language and mathmatical standards for communicating, the first is 100 times larger than the second.

(added) In fact that has always bothered me. In a discipline where accuracy and precision means so much you'd think people would adhere to more unambiguous, precise communication.
                            Yeah, it's always best to make real sure what people are talking about. I've had customers say a "couple mills" as in a clearance like that should be totally clear to me. Most time I find they mean a couple thousandths (.001").

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                              So, has anybody here made one of grinders? It looks to me like a very complicated job requiring close tolerance machining. And I say that as someone who owned a commercial shop with CNC mills and lathes.
                              I believe Mcgyver made one, to his usual high end standard, and documented and photographed it.
                              Or was that a UPT?
                              Or both?

Comment

Originally posted by rohart View Post
                                I built the Mk2 a few years back. I modded the vertical pillar for more adjustability.

The whole thing took over a year, and then it's open ended, as you can spend months more adding support for different collet types, different cutter threads, air bearings...

One of the images my site at http://www.rohart.org.uk/engweb/myquorn.html shows the mod to the pillar.

It's good as a precision tool, but it needs a lot of set-up. It's not so much the angles you do need to set up, it's the checking that all the other adjustments are zeroed, or not about to upset your task.

If Hemingway releases an upgrade kit I might just be interested.

I regard making the Quorn as having passed some kind of initiation test. I have entered the realm of the crazy !
                                Very nice work.
                                Looks nice "au naturelle" without paint on the castings.

Comment

Working...
                                X