Quorn Mk3 - Universal Tool & Cutter Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quorn Mk3 - Universal Tool & Cutter Grinder

There's now a Mk3 version of the venerable Quorn: http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalo...__Grinder.html
    Earlier this week I decided to take advantage of the USD to GBP exchange rate, went ahead and ordered it.

nice, this is a classic home shop project the well made completion of which is a real accomplishment. Post lots of pics of the build process

Comment

there is a US supplier of the castings http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools.html

Comment

I saw that. I'm not sure if there were any casting changes between the Mk2 and Mk3 kits.

Comment

I think the biggest change that Hemmingway's have made to claim a 'mk3' design was the modification of the work head and spiralling head castings to be able to use ER32 collets.

Martin Models have been selling a 5C collet compatible set of the parts for quite a few years...
          Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

I'll share more once it arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by burdickjp View Post
              I'll share more once it arrives.
              Yeah! I hope so. And dont let the nay sayers mess with you. They want to see it also. They are old and have a hard time expressing their feelings. LOL JR
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                They are old and have a hard time expressing their feelings. LOL JR
                Dern uppity kids... You get within reach of my cane and I'll show you who has a hard time expressing his feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by burdickjp View Post
                  There's now a Mk3 version of the venerable Quorn: http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalo...__Grinder.html
                  Earlier this week I decided to take advantage of the USD to GBP exchange rate, went ahead and ordered it.
                  Good man.
                  Yeah i saw that, it does look cleaned up with some other minor mods.
                  Everything Hemingway sells is top notch.
                  Do keep us informed, pics and opinions on arrival, ta very much.

Comment

I just looked at the Hemingway site at the MK3 grinder info.
                    This came from there: • A new Differential Screw arrangement provides a feed into the wheel graduated in ten thousanths of an inch [0.0001" - 2.5µm], allowing infintessimal amounts of material to be removed.

Ten thousandths of an inch is .0001? Who knew?

Brian
                    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Just in case someone thought that 'ten thousandths' was 10 x 0.001, = 0.01"
                      'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                        I just looked at the Hemingway site at the MK3 grinder info.
                        This came from there: • A new Differential Screw arrangement provides a feed into the wheel graduated in ten thousanths of an inch [0.0001" - 2.5µm], allowing infintessimal amounts of material to be removed.

Ten thousandths of an inch is .0001? Who knew?

Brian
                        Sure, when taken out of context, you can make it sound dumb. When left intact ([0.0001" - 2.5µm]) it just provides an equivalent value for
                        individuals not used to working in inches. While I understand the relationship between mm and inches, I can't visualize a dimension in mm until
                        I've converted it into inches.

Comment

Instead of "graduated in ten thousanths of an inch", it should have read "graduated in one ten thousanths of an inch". Then the meaning would have been perfectly clear.

Right ???

Comment

Right!
                            'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

So, has anybody here made one of grinders? It looks to me like a very complicated job requiring close tolerance machining. And I say that as someone who owned a commercial shop with CNC mills and lathes.

Comment

Working...
                              X