Curb Find of the Week - 15,000 W Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
    What if he just sat it there while he went to get his pickup. Surprise, surprise.
    Exactly my thoughts. Police are on the way!

Sarge41

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
      We didn't get our usual bulk pickup last Tuesday due to hurricane Dorian. Therefore, bulk trash is accumulating at the curb. The generator was sitting on top of a bunch of tree branches, clearly being toss out.

After charging the battery and connecting it up and checking the oil (needed to have some be added), I was going to see if it would fire up using starting fluid alone, so I removed the air cleaner. On the first crank, about half a cup of gasoline came roaring out of the intake. I mopped it all up and cranked again and again, about 2 ounces of more gasoline came gushing out. Not wanting to crater a piston with hydrolock, I removed both spark plugs. I cranked some more, with more gasoline pouring from everywhere. My conclusion is that the float needle is stuck in the open condition, not metering fuel due to the unit being stored with gas in the carb for years. This is as far as I have gone so far. I'll remove and CLEAN the carb tomorrow, then try to repeat my original test. If I'm lucky, I still have two good pistons.

More later...
      Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
      Exactly my thoughts. Police are on the way!

Sarge41
      You guys are overthinking this because like me, you would never dream of tossing something like this out onto the curb.

The issues that SLK001 ran into above is justification enough for a lot of folks to bin something that they very likely haven't used in years. To them it's a liability that they think will cost more to fix than replace. Besides they in all probability already bought a new one in advance of Dorian's arrival. It too will likely be out on the curb within a decade.

Don't look at the situation as we gear-heads and mechanically inclined would. Look at it from the perspective of those living in an instant gratification/disposable world.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

A friend of mine set a good washing machine at the end of his driveway with a sign on it that said "free". It sat there for a week and no one took it. They probably thought it was broken. Then he laughed and put a sign on it. $100. It was "stolen" that night. We laughed like hell over that one.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          A friend of mine set a good washing machine at the end of his driveway with a sign on it that said "free". It sat there for a week and no one took it. They probably thought it was broken. Then he laughed and put a sign on it. $100. It was "stolen" that night. We laughed like hell over that one.

Ha Ha Ha

Too bad it wasn't broken.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            He may still not be out of the woods, might have actually been "parked" with the fuel valve left open due to the gen unit shooting craps and they just shelved it that way for years because they did not have the heart to pitch it right off, you never know, it's all the more reason that sometimes its nice to have a "brief chat" with the owners whenever possible - but in this case sounds like they might not even have been home at the time....
            If it can't be salvaged, you just toss it. Little lost but your time and some gas.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
              When someone raises a thread with this content, it shows what a nasty third world country you live in, you lot should be ashamed to admit you are such a thieving lot.
              Calm down,people here throw perfectly good stuff out on the curb all the time.They know someone will take it,and that saves them having to pay to have it hauled off.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I help at the twp clean up day every year and every year I bring home good stuff saved from the dumpsters. new Lodge frying pan, Stanley Bostich framing nailer, antique chair and foot stool. I honestly believe people with throw anything away simply because they don't want to deal with it any other way.

Comment

I live part time in a modestly upscale neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale where we have monthly bulk trash pickup.
                  Early on those days there is a steady stream of "Pickers" sorting thru the trash looking for usable items.
                  No one asks and no one cares. No one is arrested. I am guilty of looking myself occasionally.
                  Some great stuff out there sometimes.
                  Seastar
                  Last edited by Seastar; 09-11-2019, 10:59 AM.
                  I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
                    I live part time in a modestly upscale neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale where we have monthly bulk trash pickup.
                    Early on those days there is a steady stream of "Pickers" sorting thru the trash looking for usable items.
                    No one asks and no one cares. No one is arrested. I am guilty of looking myself occasionally.
                    Some great stuff out there sometimes.
                    Seastar
                    Totally acceptable behavior - if it's legal to do so that is and if people respect it, trouble being is like with every good thing people abuse it - start sorting through peoples garbage to find the "goodies" and leave the rest on the lawn for the home owner or the trash pickup to deal with --- then it's "no mo soup fo u"

Comment

Carroll County used to have a "Swap Shop" where people could drop off usable items and take things they could use. But it was often abused, such as when the local scrap metal place went there and took a very nice brass bed just for the scrap value. They probably also took large aluminum items such as ladders to melt down. But they shut it down probably 10 years ago now, probably because some bratty kid cut his widdle finger on something and his helicopter parents sued.

When I take stuff to the local junk/recycling facility, I always see lots of perfectly good things headed for the shredder or landfill, but no scavenging is allowed. I can understand the reasoning, though. I would probably go there twice a day and "rescue" truckfulls of stuff.
                      Last edited by PStechPaul; 09-11-2019, 02:51 PM.
                      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I cracked open the carb today. Here's what I saw:

I think that it is confirmed that the original owner used it for one hurricane, then just stuck it in the corner of his garage without prepping it for long term storage. I stuck the carb in some Berryman carb cleaner to soak for a couple of hours and it cleaned up nice. I've got it all reassembled, but rain stopped me from proceeding further. Tomorrow, I'm going to replace the oil and try a simple starting test with starter fluid.

Comment

Interesting carb design - i see an oval o-ring down at the base for the main jets, then i see an solenoid attached to the carb base - is this is what they are using to cut power for various reasons (low oil or no oil pressure for example)

most other systems just cut the spark but that can induce flooding as the engine coasts to a stop still sucking in fuel so this could actually be an improvement if the idle circuit is siphoned off the pre-main jet connection, just thinkin out-loud...

Comment

If the carb works after the dip treatment,great!If not I have had good luck disassembling them and boiling them out in a pot of water on the stove.There are some tiny little passages in those that Berryman's,although a good product,may not loosen up and clear if clogged.The boil followed by a blowgun will get them clean most times,good luck.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

on the little carbs i don't bother with going through all kinds of trouble - alls you need is a can of carb clean with the little red jet tube connected to the top spray valve,,, I have little carbs cleaned and back running in as long as it takes to take them apart and put back together (almost) all you have to do is verify your spray is getting through all the circuitry and then hit it with 150psi of compressed air - repeat if you think there was a restriction... assemble and run that sow...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                                Interesting carb design - i see an oval o-ring down at the base for the main jets, then i see an solenoid attached to the carb base - is this is what they are using to cut power for various reasons (low oil or no oil pressure for example)

most other systems just cut the spark but that can induce flooding as the engine coasts to a stop still sucking in fuel so this could actually be an improvement if the idle circuit is siphoned off the pre-main jet connection, just thinkin out-loud...
                                That sol. is there to cut fuel to the jets when the ign. key is turned off.
                                They want to cut the fuel off when the key is turned off just for the reason you mention, stop flooding as the engine coasts down.
                                You've probably heard these small engines back fire when they are turned off?
                                That sol. stops the back fire, also the o-ring you mention isolates the jets from the fuel in the bowl so the sol. can do its job.

THANX RICH
                                People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X