Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09...dows_jpeg_bug/

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-15-2004).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Evan,

I haven't installed Service pack 2 yet.If I do will I get any problems with my existing software ?

I remember you saying that there was a problem with Service Pack 2,but I can't remember what.

Allan

Comment

It's time for a brand new OS without all of this crap ... this stuff is costing us endless time and money !

Something with clean transport mechanisms and clean processes with well defined inputs and outputs. The problem now is that you can do anything from anywhere in the system (just about).

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 09-15-2004).]

Comment

The worst thing about this vulnerability is there is no single patch to fix it. It affects all Microsoft software than can display a jpeg image and each program must be updated separately. That includes IE, Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint, Access, etc. etc...

Check this list from Microsoft!!!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS04-028.mspx

Arggg...

Allan, SP2 changes how Windows treats ram usage by programs. Some programs will break.

Comment

The thing which really disturbs me is the number of idiots who have placed mission critical apps on these OSes. I don't want to hear that we're going to lose a section of the power grid, sink a destroyer or sink our savings and bank accounts because of M$ crap !

On top of that, we're going to pump tens of billions into ridiculous cyber security nonsense to prevent what should already be in a competently designed and tested sw product

RANT OFF

Comment

I don't know if there's any relationship, but the installation of SP2 on my wife's computer turned the once flawless Mozilla Firefox into a piece of junk. Now it hangs up several times a day, stopping the computer dead. She has to unplug the CPU to get it going again.

I'd expect MS would be extra careful to make sure SP2 would be compatible with the browser many installed to get away from IE's flaws.

Roger
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Roger,

There is a new version of Firefox. Try it, maybe it will work better.

Now, for some real confidence inspiring news try this:

BTW, the system in question runs on Windows.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/28/florida_votes/

Comment

"It is now backup up to tape"

Incompetent morons.

Evan: One more link and I'll be forced to say how I really feel about it

Comment

Well I've put SP 2 in now,not noticed any change yet.

Didn't like the way it asked for automatic updates,I put yes,then thought about it but didn't seem able to reverse the decision,so I guess I have no choice now.

Allan

Comment

Ah, the benefits of obsolescence....

as far as I can determine, I have none of the software on the affected list...

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Several things are certain about this vulnerability:

Few will hear about it.

Few that do will update all the affected applications which require multiple updates not available from Windows Update.

It WILL be exploited.

Welcome to the Jpeg of death.

Comment

I ordered the CDs and also downloaded the IT professionals version of SP 2. I tried installing it once and all my connectivity was cut off. So I restored to an earlier date and looking for SP 2.1 one of these days.

Jerry

Comment

"Welcome to the Jpeg of death"

The only thing worse is Steganography in the post 9/11 world. Your .jpg may contain the marching orders for the next bunch of crazies and the info is not even visible

Comment

The truly stupid part of the possible use of steganography is that it is now illegal in some (many?) states to research ways to detect its use. So called "super DMCA" legislation makes it illegal to develop software intended to break any sort of encryption. It doesn't matter what the encryption is for, the law doesn't address that. The mere act of creating encryption breaking software is illegal.

Why these laws? So you may not copy a DVD, even as a completely legal personal backup.

See here:

http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/states/

and here:

http://niels.xtdnet.nl/stego/

So, score one for the terrorists, thanks to the movie industry.

This clearly points out what is now wrong with the US political system. If you have enough money you can buy yourself a law.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-16-2004).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
                              This clearly points out what is now wrong with the US</font>

British, Canadian, Russian, Somali, Mexican, Brazilian, german, French, Italian, Danish.........
                              <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
                              political system. If you have enough money you can buy yourself a law.
                              </font>

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X