Welding aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding aluminum

I've read that you can weld aluminum with oxyacetylene torch. Any comments or feedback from those who have actually done this type of work? How difficult is it?

Albert

ROTATE: If you are a skilled torch welder then you shouldn't have too much trouble picking up oxyacetylene welding of aluminum but if not, then good luck. Kent White has a vidio tape that shows how well he can torch weld aluminum and he gives a bunch of tips that are invaluable. I prefer TIG. WALT WARREN

Comment

Albert
      It takes an exceptional welder to do a good Aluminum welds with gas. It is far easier with a TIG - and even that takes A LOT of practice to consistantly get nice welds. If you want to learn it well you will always have another shop skill to fall back on. My welds with Aluminum are nowhere close in quality to be allowed on anything I own. Stainless is another story - it sure is "shiney"!

Comment

This is the only time one of those wonder gadgets you see at fairs and flea markets works. The Mad Dog, or whatever, welding rod for aluminum they sell works.
        It is probably more in the nature of brazing, and the technique is the same, but it does work. It works better with a propane torch for most jobs, a Presto Lite may be needed for larger sections. Oxy-acetylene is way too hot.
        Most welding shops carry it under different names, and small packages are at Home Depot, etc.
        Jim H.

Comment

Have you tried welding aluminum with any proccess because aluminum is wierd looking when you weld it. Sorta like butter in a fry pan.
          I've never tried gas welding it but I've stick, mig and tig'd it. I'm gonna have to try gas and see how it goes.
          I'd assume nuetral flame, maybe a number 1 tip for 1/4" material and fast speed. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

I don't claim any gas welding expertise, but I've read that gas welding on aluminum is done with oxy-hydrogen rather than acetylene.
            The hydrogen produces a cooler flame ("they" say). And if memory serves, you use a blue (or is it green) lens in the eye shield. ... But then I may be wrong - it's been awhile since I read that.
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Lynn is right....aluminum is brazed with hydrogen, not acetylene. Hydrogen burns cooler. The problem with aluminun is you can't tell when it's hot enough. It doesn't change color like steel, so you have to just "know" when it's ready. Wait too long and it ends up as a blob on the floor. Mig is better, tig is ideal for aluminum (Tig used to be referred to as heliarc, the way to weld aluminum).

[This message has been edited by bdarin (edited 06-06-2002).]

Comment

Hi

I will never forget the time my pre-apprenticeship welding teacher placed two thin strips of aluminium (3" wide 12" long) on end vertically forming a 90 degree vee.

He then proceeded to use (narrower) strips of the same material to weld vertically UPWARD INSIDE this vee, producing a VERY tidy bead and a very strong weld. This was done with an oxy/acetylene outfit.

Geez! he was good :-)

Regards

Peter
                Kind regards

Peter

Comment

bdarin, Lynnl

Special green lens makes it far easier for gas welding.

Oxy-acetylene is about 1,000* cooler than Oxy-Hydrogen which is used for platinum work. Gas Plasma is about 30,000*.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 06-06-2002).]

Comment

Sorry, Thrud, but both my welding instructor and my "Welder's Bible" say that hydrogen is cooler burning than acetylene.

Comment

Is special flux required to weld aluminum with oxyacetylene? Also how about the rods?

Albert

Comment

There's a guy who goes by the name 'tinman' at www.tinmantech.com who has a lot of info and supplies for oxyacetylene welding aluminum. Flux and rod (he sells essentially pure wire feed material 1000 alloy I think) are all you need, but he recommends some special goggles that make it easier to see the material approaching the welding temperature.

I bought some of his flux a while back but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Comment

again from memory,
                          Oxy-Act is highest temp flame known to man
                          Oxy- hyd is cooler but hotter in snese that hydrogen pruduces more BTU/Lb.

Atomic hyrogen/ Oxygen is higher temp still, but this is not considered a "flame" since the electricty involved breaks the Hydogen into monotomic hydrogen and the heat of re-combination increases both the temp and BTU/lb.

Since all three produce temps in excess of melting points of most materials the useful heat is BTU/Lb.

Under water gas work is done using hydrogen (most times) because Acty tends to de-compose at pressures over 15 psi.

I am afraid I have told you more than I really about this subject. But gotta be sure when you talk about "heat" if its temp you mean or btu (calories)

Comment

When you accidentally put your hand on the hot stove, does it really matter

Comment

Moved my response to another post, sorry. Didn't want to clutter up your thread w/ a MIG question. You can't completely delete your own posts on this BBS.

[This message has been edited by Hellbender (edited 06-08-2002).]
                              NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

Working...
                              X