Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old post search- polishing a pipe longer than the lathe

Hello Group,

I'm looking for a post within the last year (?) about someone who used a sanding belt inside out to polish/finish a pipe that was longer than their lathe. It had a picture of the setup if I remember correctly, which is what I'm after so I can see what to do, then copy the same thing for my project.
    If I recall, it was about a rolling machine or something like that. I have searched using; roller, pipe polishing, pipe roller, slip roller, sheet metal roller, which have given me some great reading, but not the post that I'm looking for. VPT's roller is quite a story, glad he finally got it done.

So, if anyone was the poster, or you can remember the post and could let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

There are these tools. I would like to get one some day.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluerock-Poli...76152264&psc=1
    Andy

Comment

Hi VPT,

That looks like a very aggressive tool. Seems like something that could be made with a good sized angle grinder. That is part of the reason for having a shop and machining is to make the tools we want or need, maybe you need to start a thread on making one of those bad boys!

TX
      Mr fixit for the family
      Chris

Comment

Was it this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Steady rest plus rollers on a stand beyond the lathe footprint won't cut it for you?

P.S. I type too slowly.
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Hey Guys,

That is a good alternative to what I was looking for, but what I'm after was someone who used a belt sander belt turned inside out and around the pipe to polish the pipe and they had a the pipe in the lathe and the power source for the belt mounted to the side of the lathe if I remember correctly. This is part of the reason I'd like to find the post, I can't remember the details. Or as a friend likes to say CRS (Cant't Remember Sxxt) when he forgets something or is in a thought and can't quite get the idea out !

I appreciate you posting, hopefully It will come up at some point.

TX
            Mr fixit for the family
            Chris

Comment

Is this the one you were looking for?
              http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-polish-shaft?

Comment

Is this it:

Found here:
                http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...o-polish-shaft

Comment

WOW,

You guys are awesome !! This is the exact post I was after. I see I really do have a case of CRS as this didn't even involve a lathe at all. Just in time for the weekend !

TX
                  Mr fixit for the family
                  Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X