Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Sad day in aviation: Collings B17 has crashed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT: Sad day in aviation: Collings B17 has crashed

    The B17 owned by the Collings Foundation of Stow, Mass has crashed at Bradley Airport, Connecticut


    Injuries (from TV news report)
    13 on plane (10 paying passengers, 2 pilots, 1 attendant)
    1 on ground

    The Collings B17 is one of 18 known to be operational.

    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/plane-c...-live-updates/

    News reports mention unspecified number of fatalities among the 14 persons involved.

    Latest reports specify 7 fatalities.


    https://www.boston25news.com/news/wo...icut/992609883
    Last edited by tlfamm; 10-02-2019, 06:40 PM.

  • #2
    What a sad story. I was just reading about the the plane a few days ago on Hackaday and was contemplating how cool it would be to fly in one but that I wouldn't dare while I still have young kids just for this reason....

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow! That’s a shame. Sorry to hear it. I took my father on a ride in their B24 around 1999 in Virginia. Prayers for the family.
      Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
      Specialty products for beating dead horses.

      Comment


      • #4
        I was fortunate to have flown in a B17 on a 305th Bomb Group memorial flyby at RAF Duxford in the 1980s by 2 retired RAF pilots. They put it thru its paces, as I didn't think a B17 could do acrobatics. Quite exciting!

        Comment


        • #5
          Man, this hurts!

          They have, over the years, had an excellent safety record, and have done a great service by touring the country every year with these historic aircraft.

          I feel very fortunate to have been able to fly in both their B17 and their B24.

          Unfortunately, this may end the entire Wings of Freedom tour, as it will end up costing the Collings Foundation a fortune.

          And I'm not forgetting the tragic loss of five lives, and the injuries sustained by the survivors.

          It's a sad day, for sure.

          Comment


          • #6
            The plane in question, early September of this year:

            Comment


            • #7
              I’m not sure if this was Colling’s or Confederate’s B-17?



              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                I’m not sure if this was Colling’s or Confederate’s B-17?



                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Yes its Colling's B17 aka "Nine-O-Nine"
                Mike
                Central Ohio, USA

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Seen this bird many many times. Got a photo bomb of my homebuilt next to it. Sad to see another one gone. I flew left seat in Aluminum Overcast about 10 years ago. Signed logbook time due to B-17 instructor in right seat . Yeah..I treasure the experience and the pictures of that event. Prayers to the families involved in todays tragedy.
                    Last edited by rzbill; 10-02-2019, 08:58 PM.
                    Bill Pendergrass
                    Rotec RM-1 w/Rusnok head
                    Atlas TH42 QC10

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't profess to be any sor of an aviation expert, but I have to admit I was always surprised to hear that these things were still being flown at all. I mean, being in excess of seventy years old, built in a rush in the first place, with an expected lifespan of something like two sorties, tops, there has to be things like metal fatigue and whatnot going on.

                      Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that they are still flying, but actual flight, of course, puts considerable wear-and-tear on what are rapidly becoming precious antiques.

                      I mean, I'd love to see the Blackbird fly again, but on the flip side I'd hate to see it crash, losing another example of a rare and noteworthy aircraft. (Besides the concurrent inevitable loss of life.)

                      Des anyone yet know what caused this crash?

                      Doc.
                      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                        I don't profess to be any sor of an aviation expert, but I have to admit I was always surprised to hear that these things were still being flown at all. I mean, being in excess of seventy years old, built in a rush in the first place, with an expected lifespan of something like two sorties, tops, there has to be things like metal fatigue and whatnot going on.

                        Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that they are still flying, but actual flight, of course, puts considerable wear-and-tear on what are rapidly becoming precious antiques.

                        I mean, I'd love to see the Blackbird fly again, but on the flip side I'd hate to see it crash, losing another example of a rare and noteworthy aircraft. (Besides the concurrent inevitable loss of life.)

                        Des anyone yet know what caused this crash?

                        Doc.
                        Reports of the #3 engine taking a dump. I have no idea on a B17 how much that would affect climb out with 13 people on board.
                        As to the question about flying these things still, let me ask a question as a rebuttal. Should we still run steam locomotives or make them all static displays?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                          I don't profess to be any sor of an aviation expert, but I have to admit I was always surprised to hear that these things were still being flown at all. I mean, being in excess of seventy years old, built in a rush in the first place, with an expected lifespan of something like two sorties, tops, there has to be things like metal fatigue and whatnot going on.

                          Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that they are still flying, but actual flight, of course, puts considerable wear-and-tear on what are rapidly becoming precious antiques.

                          I mean, I'd love to see the Blackbird fly again, but on the flip side I'd hate to see it crash, losing another example of a rare and noteworthy aircraft. (Besides the concurrent inevitable loss of life.)

                          Des anyone yet know what caused this crash?

                          Doc.
                          We've got a warplane museum nearby with the only flying Lancaster in North America. Every year it goes through a complete overhaul and inspection to make sure it's still in flying shape. During the summer it's up most weekends, gets inspected after so many hours of flying, and gets the detailed inspection over the winter. When you think about it the 22,000lbs Grand Slam bombs the Lanc could carry are a bit heavier than the dozen or so adults it carries now, no where near it's operational limits so that's got to factor in. However, I am waiting the day when they announce they'll be reducing the flight schedule due to the age and difficulty in finding spare parts.
                          Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                            We've got a warplane museum nearby with the only flying Lancaster in North America. Every year it goes through a complete overhaul and inspection to make sure it's still in flying shape. During the summer it's up most weekends, gets inspected after so many hours of flying, and gets the detailed inspection over the winter. When you think about it the 22,000lbs Grand Slam bombs the Lanc could carry are a bit heavier than the dozen or so adults it carries now, no where near it's operational limits so that's got to factor in. However, I am waiting the day when they announce they'll be reducing the flight schedule due to the age and difficulty in finding spare parts.
                            Well, those old engines also put out a bit more power with 140LL vs the 100LL used today.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                              When you think about it the 22,000lbs Grand Slam bombs the Lanc could carry are a bit heavier than the dozen or so adults it carries now, no where near it's operational limits so that's got to factor in.
                              22,000 lbs would be heavier than 100 passengers, so a dozen passengers would be waaaay below the operational limits.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X