Call into the Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call into the Universe

Moderator, please have mercy on me with this one.

Major Tom calling Ground Control (David Bowie) (↔)

Ref: Thread - partsproduction; 08-22-2015 – Select 8X16 Lathe

I manage to get my old Fragram LHB108 lathe back (6 years) with some rust, broken and missing parts and without the manual. I understand it is a copy of the South Bend and the same as the Select 816 B, David 400 and Lin Huan.

I am new to the site (Learning to Fly-Pink Floyd), not that experienced (Simple man-Lynyrd Skynyrd) and want to get started (Don’t worry be happy – Bob Marley). Sometimes I feel lost (A horse with no name - America) and stuck (Bleeding me – Metallica).

Three months ago, I stripped the lathe and took a lot of pictures of items and their sequence with my cell phone and unfortunately, I went for a knee replacement. Sadly, I was pick-pocket and lost all memories. At this stage, I am a bit sad and then the madam is also looking at me with a ‘stinky eye’ and serious questions.

(Please don’t let me be misunderstood – The animals) I would like some guidance to solve my problem of which I am dreaming to complete assembling (Can’t take my eyes off you – Franki Valli) but is troubled with the correct order: Headstock, Cross slide, Compound rest, Tailstock, etc. (Bridge over troubled water – Simon and Garfunkel). The year is ending, and time goes by (Neverending Story – Limahl).

I posted a thread under Third Hand and did not get any responses but believe it was the wrong Forum -Thanks Paul Alciatore – senior member for the advice.

There is a kind of manual available from the UK ($120) which is a bit pricy and believes not totally correct. The South African Rand is currently very, very low.

Before entering into major problems when starting up (Eve of Destruction – Barry McGuire) I am begging for anyone who can supply me with a manual of any of the above machines and match the pictures attached.
    Please, guys, I am from South Africa and it seems I am the only one who owns such a machine in the country (Don’t let me down – Beatles) and I am willing to pay for the copying and costs. (High hopes – Pink Floyd). My email address is - [email protected]

Thanks a lot (Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits)

White wax

Ps. As referred on top, Partsproduction also made the same request to get a manual on the site in 2015 and I tried to contact him but no response.

Bump. Got stuck in moderation filter over the weekend.
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Comment

Welkom Kobus . Draaibanke is n simple ding om mekaar te sit .Van watte dorpie af is jy.?Ja ek is n sout piel .Can I guess your day job. You have have to be a musician.

Comment

looks good

Please use meaningful topic titles The Police - De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (hate the Police)
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Don't anyone help this lunatic until he deletes all that music crap from his post.......what kind of drugs are you on man? Even A.K. Boomer doesn't get so out of it when he's been drinking his red wine koolaid....

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I think Kobus has some good music taste.Isnt this just a simple generic southbend 9. We should be able to puzzle it out. Kobus pm me your cell no .Ill give you a call. But Im quite a doff oke.But my mate is busy putting one together so we should figure it out.

Comment

Kobus is that another project lying on your table.?The 4x6 bandsaw or am I not seeing properly.?

Comment

I'm with Black Forest.

It's hard enough to try to decipher and make sense of someone's questions and problems, even without a bunch of rambling, irrelevant sentences and phrases interspersed throughout.
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Plunger, I am originally from Limpopo (Bela Bela) but moved to the Western Cape (Glentana) two years ago. I really like this site but maybe I went a bit 'overboard' with the thread - my wife warned me but they all seem to such a lot of nice guys. I manage to assemble most of the sections today but I have a huge problem. After coming back from a knee replacement my dear garden technician decided to surprise me and moved all big and small parts to another spot. Currently, I am spending more time looking for parts. Where are you based and thanks for the response.

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                    I think Kobus has some good music taste.Isnt this just a simple generic southbend 9. We should be able to puzzle it out. Kobus pm me your cell no .Ill give you a call. But Im quite a doff oke.But my mate is busy putting one together so we should figure it out.
                    It looks very similar to a newer model South Bend 9A, probably from the 1960's or 1070's. I will bet those manuals are online download for free somewhere.

Comment

Black Forest, being new to the site and struggled to get pictures posted and after some help, I manage to get it ready to post. Only then I thought to make a Grand Entrance (Magnus Opum) and decided to add the song references while listening to old music.
                      I am a normal person, just turned 64, retired, previous headmaster -13 years, businessman - 23 years, a politician for 15 years and so on. Holding a masters in psychology, don't drink coolaid but Brandy, don't do drugs but like life and people a lot!

I just tried to uplift the spirit a bit and don't be mad about my 'misical' thread.
                      I find the site very interesting, professional, friendly and very helpful.

I did not make any friends on the site and will you please be my first friend?

Kobus.
                      Naughty line again: I really did not attempt to be disrespectful. (Who let the dogs out - Baha men)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                        I'm with Black Forest.

It's hard enough to try to decipher and make sense of someone's questions and problems, even without a bunch of rambling, irrelevant sentences and phrases interspersed throughout.
                        Its simple. Kobus just wants to put his southbend together again.Tough crowd this. You want to chase one of the few S Africans away. Kobus, Ill be your friend.This place is full of cranky old bastards so you have to be a bit thick skinned to survive here.But they are quite knowledgeable and I also love this site.

Comment

Plunger, must say you are very sharp! Yes, it is a bandsaw and part and parcel of my problem. While building a panel beating shop 6 years ago the saw fell off the truck and broke some parts. When I started refurbishing all my equipment (now retired) I realize there are some parts that need a lathe. Luckily I managed to get my old lathe back from the shop I sold but in a very bad condition. The funny part is I have two machines to fix and while being in hospital one of my guys decided to 'clean up' my work area. Now everything is mixed and afraid I will be the first man on earth who will have bandsaw blade as 'cuttingtool' on a lathe or 'headstock' on his bandsaw. Thanks

Comment

What part of your bandsaw is broken.?I am from Durban.We are busy trying to put an old 1940 southbend together so we also have many questions. It looks like your lathe is taiwanese made from the seventys.(total thumbsuck) There is also a southbend google mail group .But I would just start by putting the headstock on and then the carriage etc.Its really quite a basic machine.

The one we are busy with has plenty wrong with it. We have had to get the spindle gear built up with welding and then had to get a new gear machined on it. This we sent out . Some of the gears were also made but the engineering shop stuffed them up. I have to make a new quill and then try scrape the tailstock in.

Comment

Originally posted by Witwaks View Post
                              Now everything is mixed and afraid I will be the first man on earth who will have bandsaw blade as 'cuttingtool' on a lathe or 'headstock' on his bandsaw. Thanks
                              Don't count on it. We've seen all sorts of odd machine mashups on this board. LOL

Welcome and hope you enjoy the site.

Dan
                              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X