OT: New Ranger pickup impressions so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Do you really have to take your hand off the steering wheel to use the turn indicator?
    It's a good observation --- I kept it in mind twice today and as far as under normal circumstances i just slide my hand up or down and glided it on the steering wheel itself and connected with some outreaching fingers, so really my hand never left the steering wheel although it did lose it's positioning it was second nature to "track" so really a non-issue, it's technically still at least one hand on the wheel at all times even though it may be gliding,

I did however keep in mind the "what if" it was on the shifter side and yes would be very easy and the left hand would not only never leave it would always have a grip, it would be better - no big whoop though at least not as much as i initially thought..

Comment

• Just to put the "hob kneed" debate abiut hitting the headlight switch to bed, here is a side view of the knob for the headlight mode..... I suppose it could be positioned in a way to be even easier to hit it, but they sure did what they could to make it easy within their design.

Sticking right out of the curve of the dash, with just a little ledge below it as some tiny effort toward protection.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        Just to put the "hob kneed" debate abiut hitting the headlight switch to bed, here is a side view of the knob for the headlight mode..... I suppose it could be positioned in a way to be even easier to hit it, but they sure did what they could to make it easy within their design.

Sticking right out of the curve of the dash, with just a little ledge below it as some tiny effort toward protection.
        Do you hit this with your knee getting in and out of the car, or while driving?

Comment

• Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post

Do you hit this with your knee getting in and out of the car, or while driving?
          Getting in and out (thought I had mentioned that). It might be possible to hit it while driving if you have long legs and short arms, but that isn't an issue for me, there is an inch or two clearance even if I shift around on long trips.

I don't hit it every time even then. It's just easy to do, and then the lights don't come on automatically, or maybe stay on when not expected. The switch is at knee level.
          Last edited by J Tiers; 11-12-2019, 02:48 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

• "Do you hit this with your knee getting in and out of the car, or while driving?"

Only when he plays rock and roll.

Comment

• Move the seat back.. Knees should not be near that while getting in/out unless the seat is way too far forward. U outa luck if too short

Comment

• Originally posted by edbannister View Post
                .... U outa luck if too short
                Likely. I'm 5' 10" or so, which these days is certainly not "tall", but also not "short". The cab is "compact", but OK in general.

It's just stupid design on the switch, not a deal-killer. But stupid in a way that could have bad results.

Out of the three trucks I looked at, the Ranger was the only one I could stand to drive. In the others, I was already uncomfortable after a short test drive. I've driven the Ranger almost 6000 miles already, and I still like it. It's a highway cruisin' truck, which is what I need.at this point. Just needs the liner and cap that it will be getting shortly.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

• JT it does protrude but unlike the pic TC showed it at least does not seem to have "flippers" on it, it's too bad they just didn't make it with much firmer detent's to hold it in place,,, your a machinist - fix the GD thing and post what you did...

Comment

Just to put the "hob kneed" debate abiut hitting the headlight switch to bed, here is a side view of the knob for the headlight mode..... I suppose it could be positioned in a way to be even easier to hit it, but they sure did what they could to make it easy within their design.

Your headlight switch is in the same spot as mine. Mine pulls out though instead of rotate. Jr

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

• Well, the tank took 19.02 gallons today, and the (not very accurate) display said there were 36 miles left. I don't think I'd want to push it much farther than I did. There may have been a half gallon left.

Just ordinary pump shutoff, no teaspoon feeding done..... In fact you can't, unless you use the funnel that they are supposed to have included somewhere, it goes through the two "doors" in the pipe, just like a filler nozzle. Ther is a lower door, and an upper door that the nozzle fits through, this is one of those "capless" fillers.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

The vehicle is equipped with a collision warning system that looks out the front and is supposed to alert you to a vehicle too close, or that you are approaching too fast. So far, with it set to max sensitivity, it has yet to do a thing, even though cars have abruptly slowed ahead of me to make a turn, etc. Range is supposed to be 80 feet or more, and the cars were closer than that, but no worky so far, at least as far as I can see.
                        How about making a target out of cardboard and drive at it? A friend used his kids, but you might not be as confident.

Comment

Well, the tank took 19.02 gallons today, .
                          Not to nit the piks but you did a couple diff gas stations. Sometimes they can be off. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

• I have been to probably a dozen or more different stations, in town here, on the road, and in St Paul. They all do the same thing, except once or twice the tank has filled all the way. This last 19 gallon time, it shut off early several times, but all of them were from just putting the nozzle on full flow.

When it is full, it shuts off right away. no nonsense about trying to fill to the top, just run it full bore until is shuts off foor real. The tank is designed to be filled until the pump won't pump more.

Yes, there are stations where the nozzle has a problem and does not stop. Ford knows that too, it should not "break anything" if that happens.

Originally posted by Peter S View Post

How about making a target out of cardboard and drive at it? A friend used his kids, but you might not be as confident.
                            Naw.... it has operated several times, although I have not had it hit the brakes, I have been already braking every time but the one I mentioned where the street curves and it thought the opposite turn lane was still the street..

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

• Well the idiot children at the Ford engineering dept , as I probably mentioned, put the tie-downs in the bed down low, so if you have a bed full of mulch, for instance, you have to go digging like a squirrel to find the place to attach a tarp so the load does not blow clear across the river to Bethalto or wherever.

The back ones are not movable to any useful place, the only other location for them is forward a foot or so, and a bit lower down. The front ones do have an alternate position nearer the top of the bed, "pretty much nearly. accessible", and would be better up there..

So I went to move the front ones up.... Lo and behold, the idiot children were at it again.... the tie-down loops had round holes in them, and the spacing was just a mm or so shorter than the distance to get both bolts in place. One side nearly fit, the left one was a bit more too short, even swapping loops. They could have made one or both an obround, to give some adjustment room, the loops are just bent round bar that has the ends flattened to make mounting feet.

Had to take them both off, and go take a rat-tail file to them. Just a bit off each end and it fit fine, but, really? I thought "interchangeable parts" were now around 170 years old as a concept.

Yes, both positions have the same size "weld-nut" in place to receive the bolts, and the spacing of holes is so nearly equal as to be obviously alternate positions, they are in the same piece of metal, etc. It's not a case of making them different because they are for different things.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Well the idiot children at the Ford engineering dept , as I probably mentioned, put the tie-downs in the bed down low, so if you have a bed full of mulch, for instance, you have to go digging like a squirrel to find the place to attach a tarp so the load does not blow clear across the river to Bethalto or wherever.

The back ones are not movable to any useful place, the only other location for them is forward a foot or so, and a bit lower down. The front ones do have an alternate position nearer the top of the bed, "pretty much nearly. accessible", and would be better up there..

So I went to move the front ones up.... Lo and behold, the idiot children were at it again.... the tie-down loops had round holes in them, and the spacing was just a mm or so shorter than the distance to get both bolts in place. One side nearly fit, the left one was a bit more too short, even swapping loops. They could have made one or both an obround, to give some adjustment room, the loops are just bent round bar that has the ends flattened to make mounting feet.

Had to take them both off, and go take a rat-tail file to them. Just a bit off each end and it fit fine, but, really? I thought "interchangeable parts" were now around 170 years old as a concept.

Yes, both positions have the same size "weld-nut" in place to receive the bolts, and the spacing of holes is so nearly equal as to be obviously alternate positions, they are in the same piece of metal, etc. It's not a case of making them different because they are for different things.
                                J Tiers it's not just children that have engineering blunders,I'm sure some of the pi$$ poor designs I've seen over the years have been by ones 18yrs and older.All colors of Agriculture Machines have had there day with horrid designs,one of the largest manufacturer finally has steps up its design of for 2020 with features that everyone else has had for Decades.

Comment

Working...
                                X