No announcement yet.

OT: what is the most unusual pet ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan, I honestly don't know. It would have been around 1954 that I had the bears as cubs, but I don't know what the lifespan of a black bear is. I just googled it and it seems about 25 years on average, so the bears were probably there until 1979 or 1980.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

I was watching a "pet" story on You Tube today about a Chinese woman who bought a puppy for her kids with the understanding it is a large breed specifically some kind of mastiff. It would gobble hugh amounts of food like no tomorrow and just kept getting bigger and after 2 years it was 3' high and weight over 300 #. She finally thought that there was something wrong after the dog started to constantly walk on its 2 hind feet. She called a vet to look at it, who instantly called the police. Her dog was a Himalayan black bear. The vet told the woman that since they had raised the bear and bonded to it they where in no danger from it but not so anyone else. The bear had to be released back into the wild.

Do they not know what a bear looks like???
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

man, they must have been cutting its nails ALOT. Imagine how much dog chow that thing got through in a week? I'd be surprised if it survived in the wild after release - human habituated, no foraging experience, no idea about hibernation.

Not pets (!) but I always enjoy the Katmai Park Annual Fat Bear Week competition

Comment

Best pet we ever had was a young raccoon that we got from a logger who cut a tree where the momma raccoon with some babies were in a den. The mother was killed when the tree came down. Babies didn't even have eyes open yet. we got one of the babies. They like to sleep all day and then roam around the house at nit. Always checking nooks and crannies. Even electric receptacles. The coon would stick his little narrow fingers in the slots on the receptacles and when the electric bit him, would jerk his fingers out and then go right back in again. He was free to go outside during the day and would sleep all day in a tree, and then come up to the house in the evening. He finally left permanently.

Sarge41
          Last edited by sarge41; 10-16-2019, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Funny story Sarge --- Im guessing just a mild poke due to his nails being so dry in comparison to what we feel with our skin, curiosity for sure, might have thought something was biting him back a little so it must be alive and therefor some kind of food lol

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
              Funny story Sarge --- Im guessing just a mild poke due to his nails being so dry in comparison to what we feel with our skin, curiosity for sure, might have thought something was biting him back a little so it must be alive and therefor some kind of food lol
              Yeah, he would check out any hole looking for crawdads.

Sarge41

Comment

yes they are masters at that in fact heard long time ago that they have one of the most sensitive hands/fingers in the business,,,

you also have to watch them around your Dog though in water as they will latch on to your dogs head and use their weight to hold them under and drown them, smart little buggers but if one tried that with my pooch im going in and showing them how it feels...

Comment

Many years ago, when I was a struggling college student, I raised rabbits for food and profit. One of my best customers was a lady that raised cougars (Mountain Lions)
                  Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

She probably didn't even give the rabbits a head start...

Comment

About 10 years ago we had a little tree frog about the size of a nickel. We called him Fred. He had the run of the house. We caught fly's, worms and other small bugs and he would jump onto our hand and eat them from our fingers. We never knew where he would show up next. He seamed to like set under the night light in the bathroom. After about a year, I turned him loose out side by a gold fish pond we had. He stayed around for about another year then disappeared. The same Raccoon that ate all our gold fish probably ate Fred.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                        yes they are masters at that in fact heard long time ago that they have one of the most sensitive hands/fingers in the business,,,

you also have to watch them around your Dog though in water as they will latch on to your dogs head and use their weight to hold them under and drown them, smart little buggers but if one tried that with my pooch im going in and showing them how it feels...
                        This is true. Years ago I caught a raccoon drowning a German shepard not far from my dock. I had to hit the raccoon with an oar to get him to release the dog.

Comment

Working...
                        X