Old School Sawmill Edger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post

Do you mean a board with bark still on the edges?
    Yes, it's what it's mean for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ouq4NIeQZk

Comment

• Hang on, my friend. everything is still in "full on test" mode here. When I get the edger fully sorted out there will be a video of a board with the bark still on it going thru the edger. Today is the first time ever that a board has went thru this edger.
      Brian Rupnow

Comment

• I'm getting a complete education on the care and feeding of edgers. I am edging boards but I have learned---The saw's should be running twice as fast, and the feed rollers should be twice as slow. I have the feed rollers both gripping the board and passing it through just fine. Only thing is that the saw isn't cutting fast enough to keep up, so about half way down the length of a board the saw blades stall, and the belts slip. Fortunately, this can all be addressed by different pulley combinations. I have an ever increasing bunch of different sized pulleys hanging on my machine-shop wall, from all of the crazy things I have built. If I put a board thru that is narrow enough to engage only one saw blade, things actually work pretty good.
        Brian Rupnow

Comment

• You're making a pulley out of WHAT!!! Hey, it's free stuff. It will work fine in the application it is intended for. I didn't have any 1" aluminum plate. I coated the aluminum pulley with fast dry epoxy, and will finish it off tomorrow morning.
          Brian Rupnow

Comment

• My original design had the feed rollers turning 8 times slower than the circular saws. This didn't work very well--the rolls would jam the wood into the sawblade so quickly that it would stall the saws. Next effort was to have the feed rollers turning 16 times slower than the sawblades. That worked a lot better, but would still jam the saws about halfway thru the cut and stall them. The wooden pulley I have up on the lathe right now is going to allow the feed rollers to go 32 times slower than the saws. I'll know a lot better tomorrow morning how that is going to work. It's been a fun day.
            Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Have you figured the "chipload" per tooth? That even applies to wood

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

• Jerry--You're getting way to scientific on me. My lathe on "low range" tops out at 750 rpm. So--run lathe at 750 rpm and take 0.050" depth of cut on auto-feed. Worked great. I'm not making fine furniture here. That wood was the scruffy old end off a spruce 2 x 10.
                Last edited by brian Rupnow; 12-01-2019, 12:26 PM.
                Brian Rupnow

Comment

• This morning we have success!!! The wooden pulley that I had up on the lathe yesterday seems to have done the trick. The edger is taking full length boards thru the saws and the feed rolls are gripping as I had intended. I had to make up an outside bearing support on the shaft which is held in my variable speed drill so as not put too much sideload on the drill bearings. This thing is noisier than I would ever have imagined. I am going to make a video now.
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                    Jerry--You're getting way to scientific on me. My lathe on "low range" tops out at 750 rpm. So--run lathe at 750 rpm and take 0.050" depth of cut on auto-feed. Worked great. I'm not making fine furniture here. That wood was the scruffy old end off a spruce 2 x 10.
                    I was thinking just of seeing how big a "bite" the saw was being asked to take, whether it was reasonable, etc.

Sounds like you have it sorted out, though.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

• I have been trying unsuccessfully all afternoon to combine two separate videos into one. I can't figure it out, so two videos are going up. I strongly suggest that you watch them in order.---Brian
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Z5FesUQpc
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj-WsoHQ9SI
                      Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Great job Brian that a lot of work to get every thing in sinc,seems to run very smooth,TOP SHELF!!!

Comment

• Thank you, guys. Before I tear that set-up down I'm going to get my tachometer out and see what rpm the drill motor is turning at. It's horribly noisy, but I don't really think it's turning all that fast. EDIT---If I can trust my laser tachometer, the drill is turning at 1000 rpm, which is close to what I thought. That means the sawblades are turning at 2000 rpm. The sawblades are 2" diameter. The 1/2" diameter feed rolls are turning at 62.5 rpm.
                          Last edited by brian Rupnow; 12-01-2019, 06:10 PM.
                          Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Nice job, Brian. Something we prairie boys never got to see unless living in northern part of the prairies. Thanks for the trip.
                            Glenn
                            Glenn Bird

Comment

• The big question here was "will the edger work" and if so then "what will be the final pulley reductions and sawblade speeds and what rpm will the feed rollers work best." I have now determined all of those factors. The initial form of the edger had far too many shafts and friction points for one of my gas engines to run. There is nothing else right now that I want to move forward and design or build so I am going to spend some time on a purpose built reducer that will give me the proper outputs and rpm's. The reducer which I used on this initial run was just one that I had setting around from 10 years ago. I want something that lets me get rid of the two top-shafts and the pulleys and o-rings associated with them.
                              Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Brian, just a thought here but have you thought about separating the feed from the blades?

On the equipment I used to work on the cutting head (circular blade, bandsaw, moulder/planer heads) were always run flat out and the feed rate of the material could be adjusted. Softer materials like spruce and the boss would turn up the feed whenever he walked by, harder materials like oak and the guy who had to maintain the equipment would turn down the feed. With your setup the feed and cutting head have a fixed ratio, probably not an issue if you only plan on running one type of board through, but if you separate them you can even do some adjusting and then try to duplicate that fixed ratio. Run it on two motors, or have the cutting head geared permanently to the motor shaft and run the rollers through a gearbox or step pulley.

Comment

Working...
                                X