Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of Dykem.....High spot blue....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Dykem.....High spot blue....

I'm getting really tired of the Dykem product.

It will NOT stay in the tube. Wherever it is, it leaks all over everything. And a very little goes a very long way.

I thought about trying to find the Canode blue or red.

The Dykem thins out to a haze, I somehow got the idea that the Canode was larger particles and didn't do as well.

But then the Harry Bloom article in HSM came along. He seems to use Canode with good results.

Is the Canode blue and red better about staying in its container?

Is it as good for final spotting as the Dykem?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I also have a tube of dykem blue and it has always leaked. Wonder why they can't get it right?
    Michael

Comment

Canode Blue and Red come in plastic bottles. When I'm not using them, which is most of the time, I put them in my toolbox in the upright position. They have fallen over, and I have never had a leakage problem.
      I noticed, when I was doing the Monarch, that the Canode product needs to be shaken and/or stirred up; it wants to settle out of solution, and will clump up and block the small hole in the tip. Fortunately the tip comes off the bottle and a small stirring rod can be used with limited success(which was probably my own impatentience) to remix the stuff.
      I have never used the Dykem product, Canode was what my supplier had years ago when I started, and I just stuck with it. I also think Canode is what Dapra sells, just retagged.
      Harry

Comment

Over here for many years Engineers Blue [TM] was sold in small flat tins like snuff tins, Lasted literally years, didn't leak or dry out.
        You can still get this but they also have released it in toothpast type tubes.
        Prone to damage and when you come to use it you get a thin liquid out first.
        It also seems a different product as it's more slippy and wants to slide off and not stick like the tinned variety.

Fortunatly I still have more than enough to last me out in tinned form.
        I also found out that the proper blue is actually a printing ink, one of my customers makes it.

I was given a 1kg tub a while ago but gave it away to a large museum who are restoring some very big stationary engines, as I say I have enough for personl use.

As a side note we had problems a while ago wth people climbing the corner fence and taking short cuts.
        20 kilo's of reject multi-coloured printing ink smeared on the tops of the fence soon stopped that
        This stuff doesn't dry in normal use and stick like s**t to a blanket.

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 10-10-2004).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Yep,printers ink is what I use,we got 50gallons of it in gallon cans,except I think this stuff is called stencil ink as it is thick.

For quicky jobs I also use a 5/8" wide marks alot.If you mark it and scrape or file off the black,you have removed about .0002"
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
          X