Need to know weight of various lathes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to know weight of various lathes

Getting ready to make a trip in late November and buy a lathe, but have discovered that with a full tank of gas and 2 passengers, my truck can only carry an additional 400 lbs before going over the GVWR! I'm sure this would be OK for a short trip, but I will be travelling a longggggg way so I will need to use a trailer.

I had planned to buy a South Bend light or heavy 10, but have decided to consider some larger lathes if the price and condition are right.

I need to make sure the trailer I have can carry the weight of the lathe I buy. Does anyone have any accurate estimates of weight for these lathes:

-South Bend heavy 10" x 28" on cabinet
    -South Bend 13" x 30"
    -Rockwell 11" swing x 24-36"
    -Logan 12" swing x 24"-36"

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated!

Michael

They're all roughly between 1000 and 1500lbs...

HTRN
    EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

If the heaviest I was looking at was 1500 lbs, and I have access to a trailer rated for 2000 lbs GVW that should not weigh more than weighs 400-500 lbs, should I be concerned about using it? The trailer is quite sturdy with a wooden deck, square tubing side rails and 13" or 14" tires. Trailer was built by a welding shop that makes and sells quite a few.

I am thinking I could also remove the chuck and tailstock and anything else that is heavy and easy to take off.

Thoughts?

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that my Rockwell 11x36 weighs 1148 lbs. We used a tractor with a front end loader to move it.

James

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> but have discovered that with a full tank of gas and 2 passengers, my truck can only carry an additional 400 lbs before going over the GVWR</font>
          Sheesh, what are you driving, a Subaru Scamp ?? Actually I can sort of relate, as my previous Toyota Tundra was a great truck but amazingly pitiful in payload capacity. Even with a little Emco Maximat 11 back there, I knew I "had something"....esp during turns.

In contrast, current Ford F350 can haul over 3,000 lbs in the bed, before you start to realize something just might be "back there"

Comment

I had a 1200 pound South Bend 14 1/2" x 24" lathe in my old S-10. It still had some spring left in it. Amazingly, it rode pretty well the 40 miles I had to haul it....The steering was a bit light but ok.

Andy Pullen
            Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

LOL........

....to answer the question, what am I driving, it is a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext cab 4WD. Seriously. I am sure this will bore you but here are the details:

This was an eye opener for me, as for fun I went to the scales and measured my axle weights and compared them to my FGAWR and RGAWR, and calculated I could carry about 1800 lbs. Great. Then I went home and read my manual which clearly states that I may not exceed either the FGAWR or the RGAXR or the GVWR. Well, the GVWR is 6400 lbs, and this is the same for any GMC/Chev 1500 whether it is a regular cab 2WD with 8' box, or an extended cab 4WD. The result is that as you get 'more' truck, you are reducing the payload capacity. The payload capacity is 1400 lbs, which looks good on paper, but this is BEFORE passengers, fuel, etc. When I weighed my truck it had a full tank and driver in it. Only have 640 lbs left. Add my wife and a suitcase, as well as some tools and 400 lbs is all I have left. I realize exceeding the GVWR by a few 100 lbs will not break me or the truck, but I am looking at exceeding it by up to 1000 lbs. Not a good idea when I have to travel 12 hours each way!

Comment

This site shows maximum payload as 1787lbs if the model is correct:

www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/01sierra_c3.htm

Don: I carried a Maximat Super 11 with base and tools in my whimpy Jeep Grand Cherokee for 4 hours. Still had some shock absorber range left
                Den

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 10-08-2004).]

Comment

Many years ago,my dad and I went to Grizzly in PA, in our old Shoe Box toyota Van. After a long day of shopping, we brought home with us many woodworking tools. Jointer, planer, bandsaw, shaper, make that 2 bandsaws, mortiser,drill press, and lots of small acessories. Needles to say, the springs in the Van went flat, the tires were bulging out, and the people at grizzly were snickering and laughing.
                  Needless to say, we got home just fine, all 250+ miles of the way home.
                  It seams amazing all that fit in our Van, but most of the tools came in flat boxes and were not a real isssue.

Comment

I see the problem,can solve it,leave the Wife at home. No suitcase,no body;it would be tight but half tank gas,fill up when you need.OK OK I understand somebody has to write the check,I have that problem also.I also went to see a friend about helping me finish a project,I came back with my SB 9 lathe,really hadn't gone there to buy,but he needed the bucks and I had the lathe.So its still a pretty good idea,but not one that goes over well,with our better half. Trailer sounds best,I always tend to be over cautious,it pays!Good Luck on the trip.
                    Dick Stack-Hillsdale Art Metal

Comment

I brought my Colchester 12x24 in the back of my 1500 Silverado. At about 1450 lbs, it rode smoothly with no bottoming or wallowing. I did load the lathe and cabinet as separate pieces to keep the CG down.

-Mike

Comment

While your checking what the manufacturers say you can do with your truck. Check out how much you can put on the drawbar and how much you can tow braked/unbraked. Some vehicles this can be disapointing too.

Comment

Yes, the manufacturer is fudging #'s to make the truck look good on paper. It is clearly a numbers game, at least in my opinion.

Example: On my 1500 Sierra the payload capacity is 1400 lbs, can't actually do that unless the tank is empty and no one is driving. The maximum trailer I can pull is 8000 lbs. This is the actual # specific to my axle ratio, engine size, etc. Manual also states tongue weight must be 10-15% of trailer weight.

An 8000 lb trailer would have minimum 800 lbs tongue weight, and I can't put 800 lbs on my truck with me and a full tank of gas without exceeding GVWR by about 200 lbs. Is it doable? Absolutely, and I doubt it is unsafe, but when you add 1 passenger and some stuff in the box, maybe a truck cap, you are now looking at being 500 lbs over GVWR, which may still be doable but what happens if you are pulled into the scales or get into an accident?

I am hoping this 2000 lb trailer will he able to take the weight.

Comment

If you have a Chevy 1500, load that raskle down and move on. If you are concerned about the cops stopping you and giving you a ticket for hauling too much weight, you are thinking way too much.
                            I may not be seeing the point of this topic, it may be humor, but it is way too late in the week for such foolishness.
                            I have loaded down a 1500 6 banger until the bumper nearly dragged the ground and it still went all the way home.

Doug

Comment

No humour intended...

Just want to make sure I make it home without incident, and that I bring a big enough trailer. I have to go through another province and into the US, and really don't need the aggravation of cops/customs/whoever hassling me. If this was a 30 mile trip I wouldn't be concerned, but 750 miles each way just when winter starts is not the time to be taking chances.

Besides, using a trailer will allow me to back it right into the garage and lift the lathe off with my chain block. My truck will not fit through the door with anything higher than the cab.

Knowing the weight of various lathes is really all I want to know! Sorry if my attempt to enlighten others with my reasoning was foolish, LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X