No announcement yet.

in shop,,cans of "white lead" paste????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in shop,,cans of "white lead" paste????

machine shop years old had several cans of white lead paste...what was it used for?
    alan in ga

one use is for seeing how gears mesh when setting them up to run
    Walt

Comment

dead centers

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

White lead paste was one of the best steam-age technology's extreme pressure lubricants. It was used to lube lathe dead centers, press fits, installation of Class 5 studs, steady rest jaws, ect.

When used as a paint pigment was also had execellent preservative properties for wood an metal. While it tarnished in polluted air it inhibited the growth of mold and infestations of insect pests. When used to dope bolted connections in wooden boats, the joints and bolt holes were almost immune to rot.

Red lead and white lead got a bum rap. It's a great pigment/lune when used with safety in mind. The newer preservative paints still aren't as effective in protecting steel from salt water attack as the old lead based paints - and that's from a Woolsey paint chemist.

Comment

Forest, I have to agree with you. White and red lead did a better job on lots of things than anything on the market today. I really miss the products. You are right they got a bum rap.

Joe

Comment

I bought some industrial paint earlier in the year to paint some machinery. The tin had a warning on it to say it contained lead so maybe it is being put back in paint.
            Precision takes time.

Comment

in the navy we used it for thread chasing on the lathe. did a good durn job.

Comment

Artists still use lead paint and it's easy enough to buy in a good arts supply store. You might even be able to buy the precursors to make yourselv some white lead grease, look around. Us artists use incredible amounts of heavy metals for paint pigments, lead is considered to be one of the safer ones! Stuff like cadmium yellow paint is %50 cadmium by weight, really nasty toxic stuff.

Comment

i have and old jar of white lead and its hard how do you sofen it up
                  chuck slifer

Comment

Just what is white lead and red lead?
                    Is it lead oxides mixed with other components? ...or powdered lead in a grease base? ...'er what? Anybody know?
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Tasty on a cracker too!

Comment

Dad always used white lead on the gas pipe threads when he was installing a new stove. Later in life we used it to join two inch threaded pipe in the oil fields, and tried to pressure test to 10K psi. All day job. The lead was probably only good for lube but we figured it helped with the pressure seal, too.

Teflon tape eliminated all that. What was once a several day job, now is one day, at most.

Guido

Comment

Soften white lead by adding a little cutting oil to it. Stir with a popsicle stick or nail. Whatever you use to stir it with use it also to apply it.

It is GREAT for tapping exotic/hard to tap metals, Monel, Inconel, Hastalloy, SS, (Amco 18 & 21 Aluminum/silicon/ bronze alloys) and lots of others. Just wash your hands when you're done using it. A little goes a long way. Enjoy!

Comment

Lynnl,

Red lead is Pb2O4, this is a form of lead oxide containing 2 atoms of lead and 4 atoms of oxygen.

White lead is 2PbCo3Pb(OH)2 or sometimes called basic lead carbonate. I'm not really up on inorganic chemistry, but I think a molecule of white lead is composed of 2 lead carbonates (PbCo3)and 1 lead hydroxide Pb(OH)2.

Red lead was the best rust preventative pigment ever used in paints as others have mentioned. If people wouldn't have ate all that good ole paint we could still be using it!!!!!! Sometimes I think it was banned because it worked to well and things painted with it would last to long. That's not a good way to keep us buying a new whatever because it was rusted out within a year.

Chris

Comment

Nothing like white lead:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Fun/...hboylead01.jpg
                              Cheers,

Frank Ford
                              HomeShopTech

Comment

Working...
                              X