• Show
Clear All

• OT: Flying lawn mowers

Check out this movie.
    http://www.hugi.is/hahradi/bigboxes....1208&f_id=1159

I posted that a couple of days ago.
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/008470.html
    posted 10-23-2004 10:30 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's the end of summer and time to put away the lawn mower and fire up the snowmobile.

Comment

I remember when they had hover lawn mowers.

Jerry

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jfsmith:
        I remember when they had hover lawn mowers.

Jerry
        </font>
        Electric flymows Jerry?

Comment

Gee that thing flew incredibly well for what it was, I thought and still looked convincinly enough like a lawn mower. Who ever was controling it was havinga ball.

John.

Comment

I keep waiting on them to crack down on the RC hobby.

I saw a show a kid had put controls/ wings on the cheapo rocket motors, he was shooting them through a hula-hoop. Just like the Dragon the USA uses.. except built for .00001 cheaper.

A terrorist has not used this , yet. when they do look for the sport to be moderated.

A commercial jet engine is about the size of a hula hoop, for those of you scratching your heads.. a $100 toy brings down a airliner.

------------------
            David Cofer, Of:
            Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

Way back in the last millenium, in the time of that crazy olde asia war, a company designed a hover mower based on the technology of the hower craft. The mower was pulled from the market because it would not stay in one place due to the lack of a stabilizer system, like a helicopter or a hover craft have, it would float back on to the feet of the operator or mower.

Comment

Yea Jerry unlss I miss understand you what you discribe we had over here called flymow. They had no wheels, just some fan system that kept them off the ground. Don't know if they are still around or not. I have seen one used and it worked quite well. Only good for well kept small lawns, any long rough stuff and I think you would be sunk literally. The one I saw was electric, the owner was very happy with it. Quiet and low maintenance.

John.

Comment

Hi All

See here

http://www.flymo.com/node78.asp?CatID=16&img=

m_kilde

PS I believe the system was invented by a Dane
                  Mogens Kilde
                  http://m_kilde.skysite.dk/

Comment

I could imagine that if your lot is not perfectly flat, have much harder time keeping it going straight.

Comment

Dave, SHHhhhh!
                      Actually, Model airplane guys have been under the gun about such stuff as using GPS's on UAV's. THat quack in New Zealand is to blame for it.

Comment

The security quacks require something to complain about. If there are no complaints, then their jobs are no longer needed.

To anyone who has been a Vetrean in any of the late unpleasantnesses, they know that sharpened sticks, people poo, string, and a shovel are all dangerous instruments. So the security quacks should regulate pooping and sharp sticks?

FYI... we live in a techno age... if you want to make it less "dangerous" for terrorist to operate in, then you will have to have more safeguards than a monkey in the zoo. Because that is where it seriously leads.

Cash for stupidity is a desireable beaureaucratic sport.

--jerry
                        dvideo

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
                          I could imagine that if your lot is not perfectly flat, have much harder time keeping it going straight.</font>
                          I remember seeing the hover mowers in the '70s. One of the jobs they were touted for was mowing steep grades

Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spin Doctor:
                            I remember seeing the hover mowers in the '70s. One of the jobs they were touted for was mowing steep grades

</font>
                            Yes the one I saw in use was on a steep section. He used it like a floor polisher, sweeping from side to side.

John

Comment

I used a Flymo at a friends lawn in the UK once. Worked ok, but probably best on their finer bladed grasses. Motor was 2 cycle to keep the weight down and enabling "flight"

Comment

Working...
                              X