Tig welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig welding

Of course when you tig weld a bit of the electrode that is made of thorium gets passed on the weld, What is the best way to minimize this residue. Welding amperage of about 20-40 on 4130 chromoly for bmx frames

use cerium electrodes

Comment

Elninio...I've done lots of this and a good portion of our welds are X-rayed. It's not really that big of an issue if you do everything right. Most contamination comes from "dunking" the tungsten into the puddle (beginner or hangover). You'll know right away when that happens. Another source...a needle sharp point that melts off into the weld. Amperage that is too high. Dirty contaminated cups are another excellent way of introducing crap into your weld. Dirty metal is another....has to be CLEAN! Inside and out...oils etc. will propagate towards the weld area from quite a ways away. Tungsten contamination is a bigger problem when welding aluminum (from the AC) than it is with carbon using DC-. What are you welding that only requires 20 amps?
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Welding on thin wall chromoly tubing. Theres an article on lincoln' eletrics website that talks about welding chromoly and says to use 20 - 40 amperes. Also what would you request for a cheap tig unit. I've been using a friends serious industrial tig unit, i was thinking of get a thermadyne p-wee 160ts. Can you recomend any other small hobby units?

Comment

Nope...I never use them so I have no opinions on them. I did own a Miller Econotig for about a month till I traded it in on a bigger machine. Maybe they're better now, I don't know. The smallest machine I've used in awhile is a Lincoln Squarewave 275 ( I actually use it nearly everyday cuz it's mine) but most places I work at have bigger firepower than that. My next machine will be an inverter based machine. Geeez...you must have a lotta bucks...buying lathes, mills, tig machines.... I might have to ask my nephew (he's a pro BMX rider) how to get into the big $$$ in BMX....lol!

Comment

I use a lincoln square wave 175. Have done a lot of aluminium with it and some steel and a couple of stainless welds.The video it came with shows them welding two razor blades together with it, good or bad thing, I dont know. Dont think I will be welding anything that thin. Seems to work ok for me. Are you using gas on the back of the weld, I think you are supposed to use backing gass for stainless.
            Oh ya one other nice thing, I does stick as well.
            Stephen

Comment

I love my Thermal Arc Prowave 185.

ALL the functions, etc... can weld soda cans with it. only thing better would be a miller dynasty 200. the dynastys can run on 110 and 220. (110 over the lower portion of the range -very handy if youre traveling to someone elses location and they dont have proper power) the t/a is a 220 only.

around 1700 & 2200 respectively out the door with gas.

edited. (I forgot the model name)
              http://www.aaaweldingsupply.com/ther...es_prowave.htm

[This message has been edited by dsergison (edited 11-22-2004).]

Comment

Stephan...Don't know if you where asking me, but yes..for SS you do have to back purge or use Solar (or simular) Flux. Problem with flux is you have to clean it all out or it can cause problems down the road. With a pipe joint (or tube) you can't get at it to clean it. I only back purge SS...it's pretty darn expensive to empty gas all over the shop floor for carbon.
                ds...The Miller Dynasty is a cool machine...I think! I saw one at a trade show..guy was doing some pretty trick demos with it. The local college bought one and I really wanted to try it but EVERY time I went up there to test or upgrade...It was broke down. I didn't buy one because of that. I'm sure they have all the bugs out now. That is actually the one I want to buy next.
                Russ

Comment

I have a Miller Syncrowave 180 SD which I have found to be a very nice machine to use. I have had it for about a year. I use it mostly for aluminum. I do occasional thin wall steel tube.

I think the machine cost me about $1600 with the 'running gear' (cart, etc). I really like the cart, btw.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_180_sd/

I have also used it for a little bit of stick welding. Works quite well.

I also liked the looks of the Lincoln Invertec V205-T, but I didn't want to spend the $2500 on it. Looks like a very nice machine.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...eet.asp?p=2513

The P-WEE 160TS is a DC only machine, won't do aluminum. If you don't weld AL, then it doesn't matter, but it seems like if you are buying a TIG machine, you might as well get one that does AC/DC.

The Thermal Arc machines are nice looking as well. The current models appear to be the Prowave 185. It only weights 42 pounds, which is pretty light. My Miller is 224 pounds. I didn't care, since I don't need portable.

Kevin

Comment

I build bicycle frames and use a Miller Syncrowave 250 with the pulse box. If I were buying today I'd get a Dynasty 200 DX.

The ability to pulse the power to weld without overheating thin tubes is very important. Most of the tubing I use is 0.5-0.8mm joined to 1.0-1.5mm wall. For BMX you will be using thicker tubes.

An excellent reference for welding bicycle frames can be found here.

http://www.anvilbikes.com/story.php?news_ID=22&catID=3

Comment

Working...
                    X