How much should I ask for this lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should I ask for this lathe?

It's a reasonably stout 20-year old Taiwanese by the name of "Samson," 11 x 24, quick change gears, with a heavy cast iron base/stand. It has a Royal lever action collet closer but no collets (I'm keeping the collets for my new machine). 6" three jaw, 6" 4jaw, faceplate, steady rest, and simple lantern style tool post. Dayton 2HP single phase motor.

Never had any serious accidents or heavy wear - always in a home shop environment. I bought it from a friend with this setup about 1996 for $1500.

I'd like to sell it to a local friend or acquaintance, so I don't mind leaving a few nickels on the table. . .

Any thoughts?
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

At 1500 I'd be interested. What spindle mount. A D type?
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

1500$, thats very close to cost of a new one.

Comment

Doesn't that Royal collet closer make it worth a couple bucks extra???
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Doesn't this sound an awful lot like an advertisement?

Kind of sneaky.

If you want to sell something, use eBay, the classified section of Home Shop Machinist, or put it on one of the BBS that have classified ads, don't do it here.
          Jim H.

Comment

I swear y'all are on crack for being such dimwits about someone trying to part with a dearly beloved piece of machine and letting someone frome "The Board" assist in that departure and maybe also keep it in the family-so to speak.

Do y'all also go around slapping puppies for pissin' in the grass?

There, was that un-PC enough for ya?

If not then lick me!!!

There was that better?

Geeez-give me a brake!!!

Comment

well said inspectorsparky

Comment

JCHannum
                are you running this board now?

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I'm not trying to "market" this tool. I have a couple of local folks who are interested in it, and I was hoping to get a little guidance as to what to charge a friend.

It is not for sale to anyone else.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
                  HomeShopTech

Comment

I'd like to sell it to a local friend or acquaintance, so I don't mind leaving a few nickels on the table. . .

Any thoughts?[/B][/QUOTE]

Ummm...yes I noticed this as I was reading his post.
                    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

The sponsors of this board have requested for several reasons that it not be used to advertise or sell items. We all agreed to this when we signed up. I think we should respect our agreement.

Saying you have something for sale around some price is a pretty obvious way of advertising that that something is for sale. There are places that encourage this, but not here please. The first response was from a person interested in purchase of the machine.
                      Jim H.

Comment

It is a gear head?

Comment

How bout you sell it to me for 750 hehehe. Depends what your freidns lookin for, if hes lookin for that exat size you can jack the price up a bit. If hes into smaller or bigger i guess you might have to lower. If your going to negotiate with him then you can start at 1700 and work your way down (keeping in mind that you want to get as much for it as you can?)

Comment

JC, lighten up. I understood that FF was looking for guidance as to the price he should charge a friend and not be a fiend by sticking him with an overcharge or stick himself with a too small of a price. Nothing can spoil a friendship like a bad business deal. That size lathe, Tiawanese manufacture rather than PRC plus a collet closer $1500 sounds reasonable. I was not offereing to buy, I merely was expressing that if something like this fell into my lap I'd be interested. I made no attempt to email Mr Ford or to ascertain what part of the country he lives in or if he even lives in the states. If he had been shouting from the roof tops "Lathe for Sale" then you would have a point
                            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

JCHannum is right about this being an advertisement. Those people who have come down on him should be ashamed of themselves. It doesn`t matter if the advertiser has posted once, ten times or a thousand times, or how he couches his words, he is still advertising and that is clearly against the written rules. Would you be so kind as to inform us of the criteria by which a Forum Rule can be ignored and by whom?

Comment

Working...
                              X