Kmart Buys Sears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard that K Mart is making more from renting out some of their properties than the stores would bring in. Locally, Iron Pony just opened up in a former Big K Mart store.

I haven't been thrilled with the brands from K Mart or Sears in recent times, but will K Mart honor Craftsman lifetime warranty? Or will that fade away also?

Sears used to sell lots of tools , not just the basic home tools or mechanics sets. Now they sell stuff that isn't any better that HF, probably made in the same factory.

Jerry

Comment

• pete913
      • Aug 2004

Can anyone count how many times Sears has gone bankrupt or been reorganized over the last , oh say 30 yrs or so? I never saw the big attraction to Sears tools. Their wrenches are big clunky things that don't fit into tight spots, most of their pliers are gimmicky el cheapo stuff stamped outta laminated sheet steel ( it does NOT make it stronger btw) and their power tools are and have been a joke for years. About the only good thing I can say for Sears it that they made Bob Villa enough money to finally get that THING removed from his forehead. Kmart didn't get much there.
      Pete

Comment

• snowman
        • Mar 2004

Ya know, my dad bought a set of wrenches many many moons ago (when he was still in high school) from sears. Still uses them quite a bit. Bought a set of sockets from Kmart about eh same time...still uses them.

I buy a set of wrenchs and sockets from sears three years ago, and half of them are broken now (guess I ought to get them warranteed out before they close the doors).

Quality product keeps people coming back, I'll never make another purchase at Sears again though...for anything. Still buy clothes at Kmart once in a while.

Now I buy most of my tools from the snap on guy or the local hardware store. They still sell quality steel products.

-Jacob

Comment

• snowman
          • Mar 2004

Oh yah...wont even buy a pack of gum at Walmart...I despise wallymart.

Anybody see the wallmart episode on South Park...It wasn't too far off from reality.

-Jacob

Comment

Walmart sells a lot of stuff below their own costs just to get customers in the store, no one can compete with that!

Comment

• hoffman
              • Oct 2004

I like craftsman hand tools but home depot/lowes have given them some competition. The last set of craftsman flare nut wrenches (I call em "line" wrencher) didn't fit well at all and rounded off some fittings. I have a set of kobalts that are spot-on. Of course matco/snap-on/mac make better stuff but it's rather spendy...

------------------
              Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
              Techno-Anarchist

Comment

• uncrichie
                • Feb 2004

As a matter of fact I called the local Sears store today (what a mistake). On my 3rd try of the day I actually got a person in the work wear clothing department. Q- do you sell Carhartt coats and jackets. A- yes we have work clothes. Q- do you have the Carhartt Detroit flannel lined jacket. A- yes we have mens work clothes. Q- Can you check to see if you have the Detroit model jacket. A- yes we have brown Carhartt coats. Need I say more. Uncrichie...

Comment

• catman
                  • Sep 2004

Even the snap on tools have been less than impressive lately. Many of the new ones that I have purchased lately say made in china on them.

Many of the heavy mechanics that I work with say why bother with the expensive tools, they rather just get HF throwaway tools.

Comment

• charlie coghill
                    • Mar 2001

If you have some time to kill go into Sears tool dept and ask the sales person to explain how they get 2.5 hp from a 2hp. motor. I did that to a cute sales gal (just wanted to talk to her). She admitted that she did not know but did ask some other employs. The BS that the other people gave her, I actually felt sorry for the lady.
                    Charlie
                    Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                    http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

• wierdscience
                      • Jan 2003

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by catman:
                      Even the snap on tools have been less than impressive lately. Many of the new ones that I have purchased lately say made in china on them.

Many of the heavy mechanics that I work with say why bother with the expensive tools, they rather just get HF throwaway tools.
                      </font>
                      Yep,we have several offshore companies that buy everything they can in China wrenches,its hard to break a 2-1/2" end wrench reguardless of where it's made.Plus they tell me the tool bill is less than what replacements for things not covered under warranty(theft,dropping over the side,etc)we had one bragg they tried hard to break a 3" wrench and couldn't do it.

As for the Snap-on name on China tools,NAPA started it,the store here in twon was selling the big China end wrenches with a big American price on them,$58.00 for a 2" where we charge $15.00 for the exact same thing.

Thats the one thing that does get me po'ed,American companies selling Chinese tools for American prices.Look close before you buy.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• ben78
                        • Aug 2004

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Thats the one thing that does get me po'ed,American companies selling Chinese tools for American prices.Look close before you buy.</font>
                        I hear you - one of my biggest peeves here in Australia is exactly that problem!! Only worse, because Australian made tools are insanely expensive compared to American tools...

Although mechanic type tools can be had for *reasonable* prices, I just can't see why I should have to pay $487usd for something that I can buy at HF for $70usd just because I happen to live in a country that doesn't have a huge population, they all come from the same factory in china...

I cherish my Sutton adjustable reamers though, even if they are 50 years old...

Comment

Working...
                        X