Source for machine dials.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for machine dials.

My mill is missing both indicator dials on the long feed. One side has a servo feed and the other is just not there and doesn't have a handle on that side. Anyone know where to get some dials the right diameter? I can machine the ID but I can't find any that match the OD. Don't know the pitch of the leadscrew. It's a Gorton 1-22. I cleaned it up and greased it today. I think it's gonna be a real good machine!

------------------
    Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
    Techno-Anarchist

Seems like that Sherline has some nifty replacemant dials in Bridgeport size, maybe they'll be able to give you some dimensions.

I built a larger set for my Atlas shaper, with a 100 tooth gear lashed to the lathe spindle and a shot pin to make a rough and ready indexer. Turned out pretty nice, and I can read 'em

Tim
    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
    Oregon, USA

Comment

Anybody know if Winfred Berg is still in business? At one point I think they would make custom-graduated dials (at a price....)

But if you have a rotary table or dividing head, it's possible to make your own dials. Tedious, but not *that* bad to do. Or you could do it on a lathe, if you can figure out a way to index the spindle. There's a bunch of ways of doing that, from setting up a gear train with a detent rigged to index on gear teeth, to mounting a disk with a length of bandsaw blade wrapped around it with the correct number of teeth. Scribe the lines with a sideways toolbit, racking the carriage back and forth.

----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

hoffman,
        I agree with SGW and suggest you just make your own. It's not too tough if you can figure out a way to index the ring. It's not nearly as critical as, say, cutting gear teeth that need to mesh. You just need a visual aid and if the occasional line was .005" off it probably wouldn't be too noticable, if at all (.005" on the dial might translate to .0001" table travel - not bad for a hobby mill). Use a dial indicator on a mag base to help in making the graduations the correct length (and for other milling until you get the dial made).

Most full size mills have 5-pitch lead screws so 1 rev = .200" (this is true for my 1-22). If you can find a cheap, small gear with 200 teeth, you could use it as an index plate and rig up a simple indexing jig (a 100 or 40 tooth gear and some careful adjusting in between might work well too). There are a few other ways to skin this cat too and others are likely to chime in. I remember seeing a web page that showed a strip of paper with graduations ink-jet printed and glued onto a ring as another solution. That might work temporarily at least.

Here's a "schematic" drawing of an indexing jig I did for someone a while back.

p.s. Since my 1-22 is a different vintage it might not be identical, but I can make some measurements if you need them. Let me know:
        [email protected]

p.p.s. Oh to hell with all of this. If you're anything like me you'll be jonesing for a DRO soon anyway. If you find two, send me one!

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 11-22-2004).]

Comment

MSC sells individual ones and sets in black aluminum with white dials.
          But like said check the screws,I have seen two old b-port clones with dials that were 1rev=1.250",PITA to make a count on to BTW.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
          X