OT - gas water heater for mfgd/mobile home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - gas water heater for mfgd/mobile home

I have googled til my eyes are watering and all I can find out is that there is a difference between gas water heaters for mobile homes and those for "regular" houses. About the only thing I have found out is that WHs for M-homes are not warranteed for as long. Does anyone out there have poop/scoop/info on the differences? Oh yeah, the "dead soldier" is in a closet with outside access only.
    Bob

I don't what the difference is other than the mobile home model costs 100.00 more. You would think it would be the other way around!

------------------
    Paul in NE Ohio
    Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

Check the dimensions carefully. Most stuff made for manuf. Homes isn't to a standard size.

Comment

I bought a standard electric 40gal. for one of mine. Didn't see any difference. Fit right in.

Comment

Thats what Saws-alls are for,making things fit

The only thing I would check before hitting the homecenter is the plumbing,HT'S use bizarre plumbing,if you see copper or Galv your okay,buy grey polybutadine you may have to do some looking to find the change over fittings.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Could it be that because they are meant to be moving and suffer vibration that they are made to different specifications like different safety devices? It seems that they might also be insulated and vented differently due to the extreme space limitations. Liability issues come to mind, if you buy the wrong type and the whole thing burns to the ground with your family inside the $100 savings might not be that prudent.
            Just my opinion and some thoughts, you do what makes you feel comfortable.

Comment

joahmon:

The BIG difference is that most new water heaters for mobile homes have a SEALED COMBUSTION CHAMBER!! That's why they are so expensive, and required by code When INSIDE the home (I think!?!)

Again -- I think -- if it is accessed from outside, it does not have to have a sealed chamber, and you may use a regular heater, though the connections may be in different locations (regular usually H & C on top, mobile home often have C on side).

Best Bet is to call a mobile home parts supplier and get proper requirements for your location (just ask what you need and for a quote), then you will have the info to make further decisions.

FWIW as I am not a licensed plumber, but hope it helps.
              uute

Comment

uute,
                Thanx 4 ur reply. Your ideas make sense, especially the one about MH parts supplier. Much better than home improvement store.
                Bob

Comment

I think it is usually good to check, cuz like mileage, "Standard Codes" may vary.

Comment

Working...
                  X