OT: Virus warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Virus warning

Yet another reason to use Firefox. The Reg isn't likely the only site affected.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11...server_attack/
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Evan,

Hate to hijack this thread but I have a question about Firefox. I downloaded it, installed it on my computer and it works fine except for one annoying problem. When I try to hit a button to submit some type of information, I get an error message box that says something like: "Page contains no data"

I would really like to use Firefox since it seems to be more (but not totally) secure than "Infernal Exploder" but, this has me puzzled.

Any ideas?

Greg

[This message has been edited by 3jaw (edited 11-22-2004).]
    "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Greg,

That isn't enough info for me to figure out what is happening. Can you please explain in more detail? (page address you are viewing, button type and location on the page)

Comment

I happens on more than one page. One example would be when I try to log into my E-Bay account. Another was when I was trying to subscribe to a mailing list. I would fill in my information such as name, alias, e-mail address, etc. and hit the submit button. That is when it would give me the error message. I doesn't seem to matter if it is a secure (https://) page or not.

Thanks,

Greg
        "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Hey Evan, while using Fire Fox, I go to AOL.com, and at the bottom, I see it redirecting to some russian web page. I am thinking its some kind of hi-jacker. However ad-aware and S&D do not detect any. You suppose the Russian Maffia is on to firefox by now?

Comment

I haven't heard of any exploits currently for Firefox. That doesn't mean there aren't any though.

Comment

Greg,

If javascript is turned off in Firefox then a lot of pages will fail. I use Firefox with javascript off for maximum safety and when I need to visit a page that requires it I use IE.

Comment

Evan,

I have Java Scrip enabled and still no joy.

Greg

Comment

Yikes, it's getting worse.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11...frame_exploit/

Comment

3jaw,

Go to the MozillaZine forum and do a search for your problem - you'll find many suggestions and solutions.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewfo...8bba8862c15a1e

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 11-22-2004).]

Comment

BillH,

The redirect problem you describe is a symptom of this new problem. It isn't a local hijack of you computer or the web browser. What has happened is that the web servers that serve up ads on legit web pages have been hacked. When such a page is viewed instead of serving an ad on the page the hacked server sends a redirect to your browser that takes it to a malicious web site. Good thing you are using Firefox or you would have a virus.

Comment

uhm, I did use IE with it to see if IE would do the same thing! DAMN IT!

Comment

If you have XP with SP2 you are ok, otherwise not. Unfortunately, if you don't have XP SP2 then you are vulnerable with IE. There is no patch at this time.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 11-23-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                          X