Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing 5 axis HOMEMADE!

http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_5axis.htm

check this guy out, very cool, but he should of went with servo motors, Sort of what im planning to do exept on a larger geared head milling machine with dovetail coloumn.

That is neat,but man I wish I had what he spent on aluminum framing.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Great! Let us know when you've got it compleated. Or started for that matter.

Comment

I cant wait to see your larger 5th axis converted geared head mill bought from busy bee(maybe). By the way I saw some end mills at my local tool store they were only ten cents a piece, do you think these are just as good as the five dollar ones. Myself I make tricycles so I think I will need a really large geared head 7th axis mill, do you think busy bee has one of those for less than one thousand.

Comment

That is one very flash machine......

Comment

On a more serious note, I had ideas of starting my own Kayak company, you know, Kayaks for bigger people, since 99% of all kayaks are made for short little dweebles.
            I know Four Winns uses a giant 5 or 6 axis or what ever cnc foam cutter, looks like a giant robotic arm that carves out the styrofoam block that becomes the boat hull that gets fiberglassed over.
            Ah I suppose the tried and trued method of plywood formers and hot wire bow will have to do.

Comment

Bill are you thinking glass or plastic? If plastic then save your money for a used roto-molder. For that matter I don't think there'd be a lot gained from a cnc router unless your cranking out a lot of custom designs in a short amount of time. I can tell you from experience they're only a convinience and sometimes not even that. For a lot of one off stuff I can do it faster.

Dave

Comment

Dave, just day dreaming of ideas, I dont have that kind of capitol to start up a buisness with expensive tools.

Comment

Kayak Idea...

I was thinking about this the other day. Have you thought about vacuum thermoforming? Use the big mill to make a nice pattern, then drill it out for a mold.

-Jacob

Comment

oh geezus Mo that is too funny
                    thanks for making me laugh

Charley

Comment

Elninio (hey doesn't that translate into "warm wind that blows"?)...Ya that guy sure doesn't know much. "Someone" should get ahold of him and tear him a new one for not using servos.
                      Ya Mo..quit makin me laugh!

[This message has been edited by torker (edited 11-22-2004).]
                      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

The extrusions are pretty rigid. I have used them on a couple of projects.. seems they were about $16 to $35 a foot. There is probably 60 or more feet in the gantry machine posted.
                        Could have bought a old dead cnc milling machine huh? But that was not "that" projects direction. I bet he learned a valuable lesson in mass and harmonic distortion.

Since the more you learn, the more you know, then the more you see you don't know. IF you have open eyes and pride has not closed them.

Steppers are a viable control positioning device. Servos thou better are more trouble. FOR tuning purposes Servos can be a nightmare with changing loads, ie Put that big old indexer on the table and all the numbers that worked just left and retuning all over again to suit the load.

I suspect Elninio is young, brazen and not experienced many things we all take for granted. As he pays his way through life he will learn.

WHAT I have figured out, it would be much better to learn with a file to make something before you tackle a cnc. Learn just how hard it is to make chips come off, you respect the machine more. Probably should be a engineers first project..

Make something with only a file. A simple file in the hands of a craftsman can produce items of tolerance fit and beauty. We all need a paitience lesson. INcluding me.

------------------
                        David Cofer, Of:
                        Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-22-2004).]

Comment

Elninio,

"but he should of went with servo motors"

[IMG=http://www.kipster.org/scrubs/strip_images/20020316.jpg[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by dsergison (edited 11-22-2004).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dsergison:
                            Elninio,

"but he should of went with servo motors"

[This message has been edited by dsergison (edited 11-22-2004).]
                            </font>

Comment

NAHH NAHH D , You left a bracket off the first reply. :P

HA.. glad you are not working on a nuclear bomb and in charge of the safteys. What was that bright blinding light?

We all make mistakes, I do daily. Most are small, some are large. All teach me something.

Comment

Working...
                              X