Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tapping

Hey,
    What am I doing wrong? I keep breaking off the tap 2-56 in brass using tap Magic in a piece of brass that is 3/8 inch thick. I am new to all of this. I backed out and cleared threads I think a suitable amount. I was almost through...Any suggestions would be appreciated. I love the group! Thanks Fred

Fred,
    That seems to be a deep hole for a 2x56 tap. Are you using a gun type type? This type of tap pushes the chips ahead of the tap. I have tapped a lot of 2x56 holes but never 3/8" deep. Are you using good quality taps? I use the wax type tap sticks for lube and have not broken a tap in a long time. (knock on wood) One thing to make sure of is that you are tapping dead straight, any side motion will snap the tap almost instantly.

------------------
    Paul in NE Ohio
    Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

I think you may be work hardening the piece . try a new dead sharp drill , lots of coolant, gentle pecking . And does the tap lube say it is for brass? perhaps lard or alcohol might work better.unless time - motion eficiency is a major deal I like to drill undersize and then to size with stock sensitive to work hardening from heat of drilling

Comment

Try tapping in the mill or drill press to keep the tap aligned. You might want to stop and back out about half way to clear chips and every other turn after that. Thats what I do when I have to tap a blind hole with a small tap.

Comment

As said in other post make sure that you are going in straight. On very small taps after a few complete turns I will back the tap out all the way to clear the chips. Haven't broken a tap in a long time. Takes more time but is faster than trying to remove a broken tap.

Joe

Comment

Bras can be tricky.
            If I dont need super strenght I drill the hole larger, which is what I would do in your case.
            Here's the rule for strenght.

Lenght = 3 times the diameter.

After this the bolt will most likely break before the hole stips. With your 2/56 you can go to 50% or less and have no porblems.

Also remember that a tapped hole will only lose about 5% strenght with a 75% thread coverage.
            Rob

[This message has been edited by RobDee (edited 11-21-2004).]

[This message has been edited by RobDee (edited 11-21-2004).]

Comment

I have just been tapping a hundred 2-56 holes in SS and aluminum to a depth of 0.15â€‌ Although not quite the 3/8â€‌ depth, there were no broken taps. A suggestion to tapping 2-56 to 3/8â€‌ depth in brass would be to use a forming tap that produces no chips. See: http://www.balax.com/forming.html

Don Clement
              Running Springs, California

Comment

Check the actual diameter of your tap drill. Measure it with a micrometer just above the flutes.
                Don't just trust the drill number.
                The actual diameter of numbered drills can vary all over the place.

From a free chart I received from LitteMachineShop at the Cabin Fever Expo:

2-56 tap for 75% threads use Drill #50 = 0.070"
                2-56 tap for 50% threads use Drill #49 = 0.073"

At the 2-56 size a couple of thousandths can make a big difference.
                When in doubt go with a slightly larger drill.

[This message has been edited by fixxit (edited 11-21-2004).]
                457863656C73696F7220212000

Comment

Yep, if the strength is not required, go up a drill size.

Comment

Hey,
                    Thanks guys, alot of information in those posts. I guess I violated about all the rules. Any clues on how to salvage the piece? It sure doesn't want to drill out. Thanks to all for the great advice! For a hobby this sure is frustrating! Thanks Fred

Comment

Brass needs a SHARP!!! tap. I've found if the tap is dull at all (or not a really high-quality tap), brass will tend to spring back, rather than cut, and end up binding the tap. You can get away with a less-than-perfect tap on shallow holes, but it catches up with you on deep holes.

The suggestion to use a slightly larger tap drill for a hole that deep is excellent.
                      ----------
                      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Walton tap removal tool may have a tap extractor for a 2-56 see: http://www.waltontools.com/ For forming taps with no flutes and small taps (where there is no extractor tool) Alum (aluminum ammonium sulfate) works for dissolving steel taps stuck in aluminum. I don’t know if Alum works with a tap in brass.

Don Clement
                        Running Springs, California

Comment

On removal: if things get desperate, and the piece allows it, you can make a hollow end mill style of cutter out of drill rod and cut out a plug that includes the busted tap. Then, depending on the situation, either Loctite or silver solder (or maybe soft solder) in a replacement plug that you can then proceed to re-drill and tap.
                          ----------
                          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

If I can get away with it on through holes I just pound out the old tap with a punch and redrill to the next large screw size.
                            Rob

Comment

Hey,
                              Thanks a million! I managed to drill out the broken tap with a bit in a dental high speed turbine drill. I am sure the demensions of the hole have been altered a bit by now. I will take all suggestions and try again. Thanks for all the help and Happy Thanksgiving to all, a great group!
                              Fred

Comment

Working...
                              X