Gear head mill/drill question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear head mill/drill question

i just noticed that the gear head mill drills with non-dovetail column have bout 2 inchs of x travel more than those with dovetail, is there a dovetail colum mill that has around 9 inches of X? without being a serious masssive bed mill?

You gotta be kiddin me.

I usually don't wanna degrade folks hear but you are seriously becoming a nuisance.

You need to stop asking questions that you have the answer to already or that can easily be researched using the internet.

Your constant trolling is annoying.

PLONK! JRouche
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

You don't have to read his posts....

What usually happens with young fellas like this is they ask all the dumb questions, eventually people stop reading and replying to his posts and he stops posting. He keeps following the boards and as he learns eventually he starts to post answers and slowly regains the respect of the board members as someone who was willing to take the time to research etc.

I know this because 10 years ago I was posting the same types of questions to a board, I eventually got told off list to nick off (and did) unfortunately I lost the access to all that wonderful information the board had to offer.

Nowadays I use the search function, try not to ask 'dumb' questions, but still do, and have a small laugh to myself when I see other young blokes show up acting much the way I did in the past.

And Elninio isn't related to the wind, thats the el nino.

What exactly is Elninio? Websearches provide a radio show about rap, and a bunch of forum posts by, presumably, yourself?

Ben
      (going out on a limb for the kid...)

Comment

For crying out loud! Just buy what you can afford and make SOMETHING! Look kid, I'll give you a little free advice. There's a saying many of us are familiar with: "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools." The corrilary is that good tools are not going to make you a better craftsman. There are no ideal tools, just a trade up in the comprimises you'll have to make. A lot of good work has been done on machines that you're running down. Don't belive me? Ever take a plane trip? Was it on a Boeing product? Well I used to work as a composite toolmaker for one of their suppliers. I made the tools that made some of the parts that those planes depended on, we're talking structural parts here. And I used a round collum Jet mill drill and an old flat belt Clausing to do some of it with. If you directed your energy twords something you could afford on your allowence or side job now you could get some accesories and start learning how to use them and be further ahead. So please, put up or shut up, because your comming accross like a kid who's playing make belive and it's getting old. I'm sure everyone here would like to see you realy start to make chips and would be willing to help you if you learned a little humility. Just ask Shed. Good luck

Dave

Comment

To answer Elninio's question, mill-drills basically started out as drill presses. Because of this, they often have a bit more quill travel, because, after all, that was the point to a drill press.

True mills tend to have less quill travel because with a knee or head height adjustment, it's less needed, and a therfore-shorter quill makes for a more compact or simpler powerhead. In any case, most milling operations are done with minimal quill extension, for the sake of rigidity. And so extra quill travel is again unnecessary.

To answer the unspoken question, no tool will have all the features you want or need. Especially in the low-end mill-drill or tabletop model tools. You are overexamining the problem here, and doing little more than confusing yourself.

Settle down, buy a good machine from a name-brand source, and learn it. It's very possible- highly likely in fact- you'll never notice the difference between a machine with "only" four inches of quill vs. a machine with six.

Dovetail machines have limitations, round-column machines have limitations, and full-size turret mills have limitations. But you can't start learning how to work within them and overcome them until you actually start to use them.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I think we should see if tinker2 would donate that home made mill to the young lad. Maybe someone on this board would be travelling in that direction could deliver it. Give the kid 10 years he may invent something none of us can live with out.
            Mike

Comment

How much money do you have or how much will your folks spend on you for christmas? Be honest and realistic. There's no shame in not having much $$ I'm a grown man and I don't have any. If I were you I'd get a mig welder, some hand tools, a bandsaw, and a drill press. Then you can build on that. Milling machines need a lot of peripheral stuff to really get anything done. You can do a lot with a grinder, a sawsall and a welder.
              Just something to think about.
              Get this: http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler125.html
              You can start out with flux core and add gas later.
              This is an OK press with a M2 spindle and a wide speed range. You could get one of those cross slide vices on it and do light milling in aluminum. A friend of mine has that rig and does some neat stuff with it.
              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38144
              Everyone has one of these:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37151
              Can't be beat for the price.
              $1000 and you can do a lot of stuff.
              ------------------
              Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 11-25-2004).]

Techno-Anarchist

Comment

ECHO BEN78

I have a square columb mill/drill from
                Lathemaster, www.lathemaster.com, ZAY7045FG, you can check the specs on their site.

After diligent searching and comparing, on the net and through lurking on the forums, it had the biggest table, lenghth and width, most travel X and Y, longest quill travel and longest columb tavel of all the other round and square columb mill/drills I could find at the time I was searching. Some of the measurements were significant and some were small and the price was right. I found 90% of the information without asking questions on the forums.

The unit fulfills all my requirements and does an excellent job. I bought it because I wanted the drilling capacity as 40%, milling 40% and tapping 20%, of my requirements. I didn't want a full size milling machine, I wanted a long quill travel, and I didn't want the problems I have with my round columb drill press.

I have measured the runout from top to bottom, trammed it X and Y, shimed and hammered where required, to get the table within 0.001". My vise now causes more problems than the mill, along with the wiggle and warp of the metal.

It takes time to learn a piece of equipment, how to operate it, what to expect and even longer to develope the skill to execute a product, but you have to have the equipment in hand and you need to develop a full idea and plan of attack as to what you want to do with the equipment.

I take it you are bereft of equipment and are in the perusal phase. Don't get hung up on numbers, round columb vs square columb, bench vs full size, etc, ad nauseum, ad infinitum until you have the bread, meat and cheese to make the sandwich.

I also asked quite a few questions before I purchased my machines, but got fed up with the negative attitude of many on these forums. No one ever started out a master machinist and everyone was as dumb as **** at some time in their life. Shine on the dildos and keep asking your questions. You might get a better answer from some of the less expert but more tolerant readers.

Basically,if you don't like the question or questioner, don't read it or answer it, you only reduce your point standing with crudeness. I was taught there isn't any dumb question only dumb responses. I've taught my children and grandchildren the same message.

Elninio, you might want to increase the angle of your learning curve and formulate your question as a question rather than a statement. All the information you seek is available by doing your own search. Don't start the dogs barking by stumbling around in the dark and not being prepared on your own.

Comment

You guys! Don't forget, this is the "World Wide Web. A lot of screwy stuff goes on here at times. I belong to several other boards involving racing and have seen a couple of instances that make me leary. One, a young guy, posing to be an even younger "just got my license" rookie was asking a lot of really dumb questions. Later someone stumbled on this same fellow on his regular board bragging about how much fun he was having "pissing off the old guys" Another instance... a young fellow was hounding people for quite some time to see pictures of their shops etc. Shortly thereafter many of these shops where broken into and a lot of valuable tools etc. where stolen. The police figured that the guy saw what he wanted, then surfed through the posters history, found a phone number or address that the intended victim had posted and he robbed them. I'm just saying that people aren't always who they seem to be. Some raise suspicion.
                  Another thing...a lot of the "barking dogs" have already spent a lot of their time answering this kids questions then he comes right back and asks the same thing again. One of the best machinists on the board pointed him to a machine he should check out and was basically laughed at. That's the one that irked me. I started reading his posts because of the BMX thing. I'm really interested in this myself. My nephew, Dustin Guenther, is a very well paid, factory backed rider in this sport and I wanted to see where the kid was going with this.
                  I take a lot of time with young people....right now I have a nine year old that comes into my shop and I'm teaching him the basics. I do a lot of free work for young racers in the area but I've got no time for the kid who comes in and knows it all. In the hotrod/racing business you deal with this all the time and it gets pretty tiring after awhile. I've got a pretty good idea just how much a 14 year old REALLY knows and how much loot they usually have. Not much of either usually. If he was closer and would "lower himself to using belt driven machinery" I'd be more than happy to let him try mine so he could see that you actually can make chips with belt driven junk.
                  So, Elninio...for the THIRD time...think about what you post here, do more of your own research and try to find some old fart like me who'll let you try his equipment. Who knows, you may turn out like Shed and Adam. Well I gotta go and bore a hole in a bucket link for a backhoe, with my belt driven mill and Craftex boring head. Cheers!
                  Russ
                  I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

troll v.,n. To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable
                    responses or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies"; which
                    in turn comes from mainstream "trolling";, a style of fishing in which one
                    trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed
                    troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves
                    look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the
                    more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you
                    don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.
                    The following extract is from a broader expansion of the defining comments
                    given above:

In Usenet usage, a "troll" is not a grumpy monster that lives beneath a
                    bridge accosting passers-by, but rather a provocative posting to a newsgroup
                    intended to produce a large volume of frivolous responses. The content of a
                    "troll" posting generally falls into several areas. It may consist of an
                    apparently foolish contradiction of common knowledge, a deliberately
                    offensive insult to the readers of a newsgroup, or a broad request for
                    trivial follow-up postings.
                    There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:

People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups, and
                    simply to make trouble.
                    Career trollers tend for the latter two whilst the former is the mark of the
                    clueless newbie and should be ignored.

Comment

Well, I don't know much but I do agree with a lot of what these guys are saying. At the shop I have an old belt driven bridgeport manual mill badly in need of adjustment. I have a Logan 10" lathe with a leather flat belt and recently bought an new four jaw and three jaw for it. I also bought a used bridgeport boss5 CNC with I think a reeves drive. All of these machines have had considerable usage and I've been able to make very nice parts on them. On the logan just last week I made a tight tolerance shaft for our company's coating machine, fighting with the wornout 4-jaw prompted me to buy the new one. When I started all we had was the lathe and no one knew how to use it. We had all our machine work done by outside sources. Now I figured out how to use the lathe and eventually got it working really well, my success there lead the company to buy the manual mill and just this past year alone I've saved them a fortune making repair or upgrade parts for our machines. I bought the CNC for myself to start a little side business and made an agreement with the company that I could put it there to make parts for them as well, as a result they've bought me plenty of tooling and tool holders for it. The point to all this is that even a novice can make decent parts on old machinery, it just takes time and patience so my advice is simple. Go buy a piece of equipment and start making chips, then ask us about cutting speeds, which coolant, how to grind a lathe tool etc. Those are the questions that get really good answers here and elsewhere. Before joining the boards I had piles of dangerous turnings from my lathe and was very frustrated, I asked about this on another board and learned the importance of grinding your own tools to include a chip breaker. Reading, searching and learning on these boards I've even answered a few questions of late. I also just sold my first $300 in parts I made myself on the CNC, something I couldn't have done without the help of the guys on this and two other boards.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Comment

I don't think anyone who visits any website hasn't encountered a mental midget at one time or another along with many, many who are total and complete experts in their fields.

The simple fact is EACH derives pleasure from doing their thing, i.e., either boning or strutting their expertise and telling the world. It always takes two to stir the pot.

The other simple fact is you don't have to waste my "valuable time reading your response" or your "valuable time bemoaning" these geek limpos, if that is what you think they are.

Knowing that these people are hovering over a screen in a dark room doing a circle jerk, anytime one of you start jumping up and down screaming for them to shut up, should be enough incentive to deny them their pleasure and NOT REPLY. Dam, YOU GET A LIFE. Leave them alone and they will shrivel up just like a worm on hot concrete.

Unfortunately, keeping silent isn't in the repetoire of anyone sitting in front of a "intelligent idiot box" so the process continues. Each thinking they are "doing the other so far up the yazzo they hit teeth".

Of course, I include myself in this senario because it is snowing outside, I'm eating breakfast, my mind goes south sometimes, I start spacing and all my family knows to stay away until I come home again.

There are two kinds of trolls, of course. Those who bone and those who bend over, and it is very difficult to discern who is which.

Comment

Laddie, when are yea goona learn that the girlies don't care what size your tool is - just how deep yer pockets are?

Let them eats moldy meatloaf I say...

Comment

THRUD! Time to give thanks indeed! Good to hear from you.

Dave

Comment

Dave....I don't believe it!!! You're back!!! I hope you're here to stay this time!
                              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                              X