setting lathe tool height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting lathe tool height

Got to thinking about all the posts I've seen with people having trouble getting a tool set to the proper height. My favorite method is one an old machinist showed me years ago. I keep a small piece of sheet steel, about 14 gauge, about 1/2" x 5" in my toolbox. I place it vertically between the shaft and tool tip, pinching it between the two (gently), and see if it stands vertically. It's a simple matter to adjust your tool to the proper height using this method, and I find that even just eyeballing it is plenty close enough to face a shaft to center without leaving a nub at the center of a shaft. Lets hear your ideas.
    Pete

A friend turned a bit of bar stock (about 1.5" OD) and faced it to the center height distance from the cross slide. He then screwed a piece of flat stock to the top and he has a gauge that will sit on his cross slide and let him set all of his tool holders before starting work.

cheers,
    Michael

Comment

I use Pete's method, but with my 6" scale. It's almost always handy.

Comment

Same as Vinito.

Comment

I have used Vinito's way for a great long time. Charlie
          Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
          http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

I keep a surface gauge for use on the cross slide for setting height. On some inserts, the old method of using a 6" rule doesn't work.

Don Clement
            Running Springs, California

Comment

I made up a simple tool based on the height gauge idea I saw on this forum, and I use it all the time. It's incredibly accurate, fast and easy. I, too, have found that the pinched straightedge can be a bit "iffy."

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Mach...heightset.html
              Cheers,

Frank Ford
              HomeShopTech

Comment

Im with bill vinito and pete I always have my six inch scale in my pocket of my work shirt, and it works just fine.

Comment

you always have the tailstock center and a eye ball to get close.

In school we used the steel rule trick.

Comment

Another vote for the 6" scale , was one of the first little tricks i was shown.
                    jack

Comment

you have to love the steel hook trick

I did not need it on my first machine shop job, it was booring 32" holes on 350 lbs castings at a foundry.
                      It was more like, make parts and not get killed.

lol Im not jokeing

Comment

I use the vertical rule and a square on the cross slide to line it up,it's easy to double check by doing a light facing cut to see if it leaves a pip.

Allan

Comment

Another little trick when you get to the next step of putting a side hole in that round stock is touch the c-drill lightly on work and drag the tool(spinning of course) back and forth without moving the quill.
                          that will leave a little mark that you line up on the center of that.
                          depending on the quality of your eyeballs, you can get within a couple thou of true center.
                          *sigh*now for the the tricks ive forgotten? many more of those than id care to admit.
                          lots a luck with your projects...
                          jack

Comment

I adjust my tool usually when I face a part. If not then I set to the live center point in the taistock quill. I use a rocker post most of the time but my holder is shop made by me. It has no rake built in like the Armstrong HSS holders.

Comment

If the steel rule doesnt quite do it sometimes, I will take a light facing cut and adjust so the little nub is turned away, then you know for certain its on center.
                              Geez, some lathes are so big, I guess it is a fight for your life, some of those chips I bet could sever your arm or decapitate you!

Comment

Working...
                              X