Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do trammel type circle cutters work on steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do trammel type circle cutters work on steel?

I want to cut come mild steel 10" disks and was wondering if anyone has tried the trammel bar type circle cutters with a fitted HSS single point bit...and if so did it work?

I think not, 10 inches sounds a bit large for that type of tool. Not saying it can't be done, just don't think it wise. My first choice would be to turn it. Second choice would be to use a rotary table on milling machine. Third choice, torch and hand grind.

------------------
    Paul G.
    Paul G.

Comment

How thick is the material you want to cut? I saw a suggestion once for using a pipe cutter wheel on a similar setup to cut big circles of sheet metal.

Comment

If you can tolerate a center hole, then cut on a band saw. No center hole and a fair number of parts send them out to be laser cut or plasma cut or water cut or if thick flame cut. It depends on your use and the thickness of the steel. As far as I am concerned the cutter you want to use is for wood and even then it is marginal for both safety and quality of finish. If you need a drawing for the bandsaw circle cutter let me know.
        Pete

Comment

ABN

Sure. Commercial trepanning equipment goes far beyond that. They use specially cut bits to minimize chatter. They take a fairly long time to cut a hole. KBC did list them - have not checked their new catalog. Try a search on www.thomasregister.com under "trepanning"

Comment

Val-Cut trepanning cutter, a Swiss cutter sold by SPI (and others) works very well when used in proper setup and on adequate machine.
            O

Comment

Working...
            X