Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spope14
    replied
    On the line of never seize on the phone, we once had a true "jack###" as a night foreman, and his little buddy who thought he was the "real foreman". They both ran rampant about the department telling us what to do (13 of us on the night shift in that department). They also usually contradicted each other, and never took responsibility for doing so.

we endured....but alas, the whole heard of "jack###'s" grew to9 include other department foreman, and their little buddies. Four departments in the end (lathes, mills, drills, and grinders) had their little foremans and assistants meetings in a room, they would drink coffee and have donuts and BS for about 1 1/2 hours with a little hotel "Do not disturb" sign on the door - like we could not see what was going on, the walls were glass????? In the end, they loved to contradict and fire at will, and lorded it all over us. I just kept my head down and worked pretty much alone for about one year, for nobody knew my job at that time, not even the supers.

Morale was at severe lows. Several people started taking notes, as i did, but there was one thing to be done to get the head boiled over....I did not take part in this one, but it was a piece of "art"...

During the supervisors and assistant brownies meetings, several on the shift went to all the department phones (they wre black phones), and put PRUSSIAN BLUE on the receivers and mouth pieces. Mixed a little dykem in with it for good measure. The meeting ended, and what should happen, about four of the "line" people were nowhere to be found, and alas, the phones started ringing off the hook. Two phones in each department. Seems they were in other "closed" departments making the calls asking for people pretending to be wives, brothers, and such......We were not allowed personal calls, so the phone calls would not be forwarded......

Line people knew by then to stay away from the phones, and the foremen and assistants commenced to answering phones. Blue ears and mouths, nobody said a word, this lasted for about 45 minutes, and then one saw the other......All the "line" people were fired that night.....

Well, you do not fire about 60 to 80 people on the spot without the day shift mgmt noticing a bit of a slowdown, thus we "line people' were all called into a private meeting with the company President two days later - he flew in from the midwest. On night of the best tool and die makers and machine runners in the company, and the crop of new trainees being gone caused quite a dent in just 20 hours of missed shifts (you had to be good to get nights in our place, for nights meant you could work alone without supervision, and the people with time like me were used to train the newbies without th stress of production)

Bottom line, mamagement was shaken up quite severely on nights, a new structure was in place, and we basically ran ourselves but for a main overseerer and some 'leadmen" in the departments. We got "fined" that two nights and 3/4 of missed work, but this was not a big loss all said and done......

As for the "Blue ears" we commenced to calling them, they were moved to the "inspection department".

Leave a comment:

• GM69camaro
    replied
    Put a small amount of Never-Seize on the ear piece of his phone. The longer he talks on the phone the better, messy stuff. Dont get caught.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Opincarne
    replied
    When he steps out take a screen shot, save what he was working on and set the new screen shot as wallpaper, will look the same but he won't be able to get anything to "function". Used to be you could get the old macs to go "Bleagh!" when ejecting the disk.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Every few days reduce the height of his chair a turn or two.

Leave a comment:

• Joel
    replied
    Bump up the mouse gearing, that seems to bother people quite a bit. You could also have someone who sounds like the owner record "get back to work" and set it as the default sound for opening or closing a program (pick up the file through web mail maybe). Or change the IE homepage to peteisapain.com or drunkensluts.com. Or...

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Go into control panel and switch the mouse from right handed to left handed. It'll drive him nuts.

Leave a comment:

• speedy
    replied
    Tuckerfan that was quality; don`t keep the profile too low, it will look a bit sus. Maybe the next message could read " Pete, it is time for you to take a well deserved rest " See how he interprets that.
    Ken

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Hehehehe...I love it,screw with his head,uhhh one question,he doesn't own an assualt rifle does he?

Leave a comment:

• Tuckerfan
    replied
    The Saga Continues

On Friday, I dropped by work at about 9 PM so I that I could work on part of my school project, since there's no school on Friday's and we don't have a second shift in the machine shop. While I was there, I went into Pete's office and changed the screen saver on his PC to the marquee and had it say, "Pete, get back to work--[The Owner]"

So, this morning when I got to work, the third shift supervisor (who's first name is Marvin) came up to me and asked if I put anything on Pete's computer. Naturally, I used the Bill Clinton defense, "I didn't put anything on his computer." (Technically correct, but. . . .) The third shift supervisor explains that Pete found it and went nuts over the thing, started accusing everyone he could think of.

Some time later, the owner spots me as I'm coming out of the bathroom and says, "Did you change the marquee on Pete's computer?" I hated to do it, but I denied everything, since the owner had this, "I really don't need this ****." look on his face and I figured that it'd be better for everyone if I played innocent.

When I get in the shop, Pete lays into me about being there off the clock (Ya think that if the owner was upset by it, he'd have said something.), about someone tampering with his computer, and just all kinds of outlandish stuff, in general. I get a bit short with him, and he storms off in a snit, because he knows I'm not going to listen to him. (He swears up and down that he's a btter machinist than I am, but whenever they've got a delicate job that needs to be done, and the mold maker's tied up, they ask me to do it, not him.)

After work, the mold maker pulls me aside, and we have a good laugh about it, then he tells me what the welder told him. The welder said that Pete came up to him and asked him about the screensaver, and the welder replied, "Well, the owner probably did it. You know how he likes to play mind games."

Needless to say, I'm going to keep a low profile at work for a while, and not pull any more pranks for a bit. Of course, that doesn't mean the mold maker won't do something.

Leave a comment:

• Bob-O
    replied
    Make a mistake or break a tool, own up to it at once. I learned this day one. Right from the start, you need to set a tone of honesty. On the last job, I snapped a little jacobs chuck clean off the arbor. The boss was away on a trip at the time. I bought replacements on my dime, but I told him the minute he walked in the door. I was working alone in the shop at the time of the "accident". You need to take the high road always.
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• ibewgypsie
    replied
    Problems while you are learning..

break one tool.. and ... OUT THE DOOR w a bad reference. Jealous people act like that every day.

------------------
    David Cofer, Of:
    Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Leave a comment:

• Bob-O
    replied
    Spope14, your advise is true in all aspects of engineering. I make it a habit to get to know each machinist in any place I'm working, and learn their limitations and their machine's limitations. My co-worker just details the way he wants giving no thought to how the guy in the trenches is going to inspect the piece. Maybe this is because I started out making chips before drawings. Most of the guys who make my parts comment that they don't need a calculator to setup or inspect my parts. When I run across something new or special, I spend a few minutes with the shop manager discussing how he wants to make it, and on which machine. You have to remember, we're all in this together, and just trying to do our best.
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• pete913
    replied
    Tuckerfan, you just keep right on doing what you're doing and don't worry about Pete. Guys like that eliminate themselves eventually, one way or the other. some people have an interest in being a machinist, and some people have an interest in being paid to know just what they knew yesterday, and nothing more. " I ain't learnin to run that dang CNC #$*$# until I get paid to learn it" is the usual refrain of these losers. I learned it just about the way you did, although I didn't have to deal with any Petes, ( except me that is lol). I learned a lot of it on my own time and at home reading books when no one else would. Trust me, it'll be noticed, and even if it isn't, it'll be noticed, and rewarded somewhere else.

[This message has been edited by pete913 (edited 10-30-2004).]

Leave a comment:

• speedy
    replied
    Tuckerfan, while reading I could 'see' that happening, Malice can be humerous when you have the correct participants .
    Any improvement that you can implement is your intellectual property and is cause for negotiation of your wage/salary.
    You are at work to use your skills and earn a crust not give your labour and ability for nix.
    If I was in your situation I wouldn`t volunteer any more unless I was remunerated accordingly.
    cheers, Ken

Leave a comment:

• Tuckerfan
    replied
    They sent me home early from work today (I've been having trouble making it in on time, so I've got no beef with them on that), and that left just the die maker and Pete in the shop. Now, the die maker, of course, had to spend a lot of time alone with Pete, since I was out of town for most of last week, and apparently, it's made him a bit "touchy." So, in watching Pete race back and forth between the office and his machine (you know, owner comes in, Pete races out of the office, fires up his machine so that he looks busy, owner leaves, Pete zips back to the office so he can surf the net), he gets an idea. So when Pete's at his machine, the die maker slides out a cabinet drawer. The next time Pete races into his office, *BAM*! He slams his groin right into the corner of the drawer. The die maker told me that on Monday he's going to super glue the CTL ALT DEL keys down on the computer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X