Tilting a spacer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilting a spacer?

I have a one-off project, scribing degree lines on a conical form.
    There's a Super Spacer on the shelf next to the mill, but it is either horizontal or vertical, with no adjustment in between ('cause it's machined that way). The mounting surface edges are as-cast.
    So, how do I tilt it, say 30 degrees off horizontal?
    Thanks,
    Ron LaDow

Ron

Mount it on: an adjustable angle plate, an angle plate attached to a rotary table, or a trunion table (rotary table that tilts - used for 4 & 5 axis milling). It is easy if you have the extra gear, if not it gets much more complicated - if not impossible to do with any degree of accuracy.

You can fudge a 30* plate up but how accurate it will be is dependant on the time you are willing to put into it. If the work requires accuracy this is not the best way by a long stretch since to do it right you would need an adjustable angle plate or sine plate anyway.

Let us know how you solved it.

Dave

Comment

Here's a thought for you -- mount the spacer so the axis is horizontal, turn the piece to the correct angle horizontally, and scribe the lines on the SIDE of the workpiece by cranking the table back and forth.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 07-02-2002).]
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Guys,
        Looks like SGW comes up with a winner. I'm only scribing lines 1/2" long, max. Setting the horizontal axis of the spacer at the cone angle (compared to the table travel) can't take more'n 10 minutes.
        Thrud, that's the way I'm going to do it.
        Thanks, great solution.
        Ron LaDow

Comment

Ron,
          I'd mount the "Hartford Head" on an angle plate by the side holes instead of the base holes.
          You won't loose all that height (always a premium) lost with an angle table.
          mite

Comment

SGW:
            Sneaky bugger...

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X